Post surgery med changes?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffhughes

Reading all the posts about meds post surgery and had a question about what most folks are on? I am currently on 100mg metoprolol, 20mg lisinopril, 80mg Lipitor and 75mg Plavix. I know that there will be added ACT for the mechanical valve but what other changes should I expect? More meds? Different doses? Anybody know if there is a standard regimen for treatment afterwards?

Medications, both Before and After Surgery, are Highly Patient Dependent based on what conditions you have (both before and after surgery) and your Doctor's preferences for treating those conditions.

It is not uncommon for a Surgeon to have his 'prefered list' which may or may not differ from what your Cardiologist prefers.

Bottom Line: There is NO Standard Regimen for post-surgery prescriptions. It all depends on what YOU need.

'AL Capshaw'

Al hit this one "on the head." Prior to surgery I only took prescription Prilosec for GERD, and Avalide for hypertension. After surgery I have Lipitor, Metoprolol, Warfarin, Lasix, Amiodarone, Potassium, and still the Prilosec. Hoping to eventually "outgrow" some of these (warfarin and Amiodarone esppecially) over time, though.

As I'm still under the surgeon's care, I won't press it until I'm released back to my "local" cardio,

It is true. Each doctor seems to have his or her own preferred approach. The only prescription meds I take now that I took before surgery are Lisinopril for hypertension and Tricor to help maintain lower levels of cholesterol and triglycerides. My cardiologist agreed to stop the Metoprolol nine months after the AVR when it started pushing my heartbeat down into the 50s. When it became clear that I still had some mild diastolic dysfunction, verapamil and simvastatin were added as there are now studies that indicate over time they can help the reduce the stiffness in the heart muscle that is responsible for the dysfunction. This is an example of what Al is saying about medication being very patient specific and even within that context, different doctors are likely to use somewhat different approaches.

Larry, try not to worry to much about this. Surgery is a little like that room full of mouse traps into which someone tosses a ping pong ball. I did say "a little like" so we each will have different experiences. If you have a million rooms full of mouse traps, they are not going to trip in the same order in any two rooms. Despite our similarities, your recovery experience will be your own. Also, not all of the after effects of surgery are negative ones.

There is, of course, the major benefit - a wonderful new valve that lets your heart push blood through your body as it has not done in a long time. In my own instance (and for reasons none of my doctors can explain), I no longer seem to have pollen allergies. Since I was 15, I had terrible pollen allergies, especially, in the autumn and in some years took antihistamine more than once every day. One of my greatest worries was that my AVR was to take place in September which has always been the beginning of my worst allergy problems. I had visions of explosive sneezing episodes while my chest was healing and stocked up on antihistamine - boxes of them. It never happened and the boxes are aging in my medicine cabinet. I am days away from being a year and a half past my AVR and in that time I've used 9 tablets of antihistamine and I probably didn't really need those - 9 Tablets instead of 300-400.

It is spring now here in Northeastern Oklahoma with the pollen count rising daily but my sinuses are not swollen, my nose isn't running, there are no sneezing bouts and my throat isn't sore. Why this should be none of my doctors have a clue. As the French say, it is another "event of the race". Plan for what you can, Larry, and deal with the details as they arise.

Larry
Tulsa, OK

Last edited:
After surgery I was popping Aspirin, Atenolol, Ferrous Sulfate, Lasix, Simvastatin, Warfarin, K-dur. Now I am only taking Wafarin, metoprolol, and lisinopril.

Again, and as Al mentioned above, medications depend on patient and situations.

In my case, my medications were decreased one at a time after my surgery. Now, I am taking only Toprol, Simvastatin, and Warfarin. I was not taking any medication before my surgery.

Emu - I would bet that the cardio's are more responsive to issues involving medications because that is their primary area of expertise and experience. Surgeons cut, cardio's treat medically. I expect the same from my cardio, once the surgeon releases me back to him.

My advise would be not to refill your std meds for blood pressure before your surgery. I got a 90 day supply of Cozaar for hbp filled right before I had surgery, thinking it would save a trip to the pharmacy and then they took me off of it after surgery.

My meds have changed several times since surgery as they try to find the magic pill combo to manage the afib that I developed. So the advice here that there is no std is true. Everyone does seem to end up on metropolol and warfarin at a minimum for a while, though.

I'm currently on metropolol (100mg), warfarin, aspirin, cartia XT, solatol, chelated Mg. I've also tried these since surgery: multaq, amiodarone, flecainide, digoxine, potassium.

Are you asking what meds are people on right after surgery when they get home or what meds they are on after the recovery period and things are pretty much your new 'normal"?

As everyone has said it all depends on alot of things including your doctors. Justin has had 5 OHS and currently is on NO meds. In between his 1 and 2nd surgery he was on dig and lasixs. But after the recovery from that 2nd surgery he hasn't been on any long term meds, just the common post op pain meds for a short time. Post op he does take some kind of fiber as long as he is taking his pain meds. Then of course he was on some short term meds depending on which speed bumps he hit, like Motrin or steroids for pericardial effusions or antibiotics

Some people who get tissue valves MAY be put on 3 months of Coumadin, but many doctors are now just putting them on aspirin for that 3 month period..unless they are in the age brackets many doctors reccomend everyone be on an aspirin a day then they just stay on it.

Depending why you need the meds you are on pre op, chances are when your valve is replaced or repaired so your heart functions better and easier, you may not need those meds anymore. There also is a chance any meds you need right after surgery, will change as your heart recovers and remodels itself, it may take a few months to see what your new 'normal' is.

While I "look" healthy I was on a lot before surgery and almost 1 year later I am still on a lot but a lot of it has been a lot of trial and error with arrhythmic drugs and beta blockers that I can't take for one reason or another another. I don't have a-fib I have VT. Unfortunately I also have rather low BP which makes it hard to take beta blockers. I also have a lot of stomach, headache etc medications too. My Gastrointerologist called me a train wreck recently. She said "nobody would know what a train wreck you are" I knew she was just teasing me but unfortunately it is too true!!

Not much change for me.

Before Surgery: Enalapril 10mg twice a day, Metoprolol 50mg twice a day, Baby Aspirin (not enteric coated) once a day.

After Surgery Stopped the Enalapril and stayed on same dose of Metoprolol and Baby Aspirin.

BP at checkup one week ago (3 weeks after surgery) BP was 101/73 with HR of 82 (been getting low to mid 70's at home).

We won't go into the 6 other meds I'm on for gerd, anxiety, hypothyroidism, BPH, and asthma (apparently something new).

Latest posts

Back