Palps after dinner

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

I know there are tons of reasons this could be happening but does anyone else get palpatations after eating a large meal? Every day after dinner I get palpitations sometimes dizzy too. No shortness or breath, no heartburn, no indigestion. I'm thinking it might be due to my vega nerve. Idk but just curious if others have this too?

I did/do. Eating smaller meals helped/helps. I think it must be my anatomy.

Okay in my research the it can be for many reasons, I'm going to do an experiment on myself to figure this out. I won't go out to eat for dinner because of this so I need to know. It is always after dinner, only dinner. I eat the same stuff every day, not much variety. Two nutragrain waffles with olivo and no syrup for breakfast, plain chicken sandwich for lunch, luigi's Italian ice for a snack and then for dinner I'm like a beast and pig out usually on carbs. I will try to eat a large lunch tomorrow and I'll let you know if I get the palps after lunch. I think it is quantity. At first I thought it was sugar related but eating Italian ice doesn't do it. I am probably still anemic and that could also be a reason from what I've read that could cause it but it seems to happen too fast. I'd think it would me more time than the five to ten minutes to get the foods nutrients into my blood stream.

Could it be, Michelle, the fact that it is the end of the day and we are more tired by then!

Do you feel them or detect them with a stetoscope?! After my surgery, I rarely can sense my palpitations...I can detect them only by using a stetoscope, which is one of Al's brilliant recommendations. I always send a prayers to Al everytime I use my stetoscope and I am doing this a lot these days as I am having a lot too :(.

I've been having a lot of palps which I think is associated with my being really tired--from not having slept well--from doing too much or whatever). They have really concerned me, but I will be seeing my surgeon on Tuesday.

I haven't really noticed after a big meal, but I do get them on occasion. I notice when I get stressed or really upset, or overtired too. When you say palps do you mean harmless PVCs, or a faster heartbeat?? Mine seem to be PVCs

They are PVCs. Today I ate earlier and it happened so it is I believe in my case the quantity of food. I get them other times too but always after a large meal

Salt and sugar, maybe, too? Don't know what you're putting on the pasta. Don't know how "processed" your foods are (hidden salt).

And I definitely am sensitive to quantity.

But mostly it's the fun stuff that sets me off -- chocolate, caffeine anything, hot sauce (red pepper, curries, wasabi/horseradish), very salty foods

Also be sure you are hydrating -- drinking plenty along with your meals.

Glad they are just PVC/s; harmless, but of course, oh so annoying!!!!

Marguerite

feeling of pressure and fullness

feeling of pressure and fullness

This is along the same lines but yet different but I have been concerned and wondered if anyone else has ever experienced the same thing. I have mitral valve leakage, my ejection fraction is 20 to 25%. Luckily I don't have the bad symptoms that go along with it such as the swelling of the feet and hands, etc. The doctor is testing regularly and watching to make sure nothing changes for the worse, I have been with the same ejection fraction for the last 2 years.
After I eat a meal I feel so full and like it is putting so much stress on my heart. When I get up to walk I am just huffing and puffing. I tend to eat smaller meals now just to keep from having this type of problem and it doesn't happen after every meal but it seems like the times are getting very frequent now. I can bend over to tie my shoe and my head feels like it is going to blow off, like there just seems to be a lot of pressure there. My blood pressure tends to run on the low side and even when I am feeling this way I have checked and my blood pressure will be 98/66 (normal for me) and in that range but I have the feeling that it should be 200+. When I am sitting still there isn't any problems at all but if I move around I sure notice it. My weight does fluctuate sometimes plus 2 to 3 lbs. and I do notice this problem way more when that is the case. I just wonder if I may be retaining fluid in my abdomen, thus the full feeling and making it harder for me to breath. Any suggestions or your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It's dinner time and I haven't eaten yet but I'm getting the PVCs. I had them most of today but much stronger and more frequently now. Perhaps it's my blood pressure. It runs low but it peaks in the afternoon at 110/65. So maybe I just can feel them more. So annoying it's like having the hiccups. I am not the praying kind but please whatever supernatural being out there let me someday have my heart work as it should and not remind me of it. I'm so jealous of people with normally functioning hearts that never have to think about them. I've had PVCs my whole adult life, well before my valve problem so I don't know what it's like to not think about my heart except as a kid. But as a kid I had asthma so I always thought about my breathing. I want to not think about my body, I just want it to work. Sorry I had to vent. I feel better now.

Okilady, that EF is very low, if you need surgery I just have to suggest looking into it sooner than later. I had my surgery earlier than scheduled because my EF went down to 35% and I had shortness of breath. I don't know your situation and I don't mean to scare you or anything, that's just from my experience. Have you had a second opinion or spoke with a surgeon yet?

This is along the same lines but yet different but I have been concerned and wondered if anyone else has ever experienced the same thing. I have mitral valve leakage, my ejection fraction is 20 to 25%. Luckily I don't have the bad symptoms that go along with it such as the swelling of the feet and hands, etc. The doctor is testing regularly and watching to make sure nothing changes for the worse, I have been with the same ejection fraction for the last 2 years.
After I eat a meal I feel so full and like it is putting so much stress on my heart. When I get up to walk I am just huffing and puffing. I tend to eat smaller meals now just to keep from having this type of problem and it doesn't happen after every meal but it seems like the times are getting very frequent now. I can bend over to tie my shoe and my head feels like it is going to blow off, like there just seems to be a lot of pressure there. My blood pressure tends to run on the low side and even when I am feeling this way I have checked and my blood pressure will be 98/66 (normal for me) and in that range but I have the feeling that it should be 200+. When I am sitting still there isn't any problems at all but if I move around I sure notice it. My weight does fluctuate sometimes plus 2 to 3 lbs. and I do notice this problem way more when that is the case. I just wonder if I may be retaining fluid in my abdomen, thus the full feeling and making it harder for me to breath. Any suggestions or your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Okie, I was thinking maybe if you started a new thread , more people might see it and offer some suggestions. When you said the doctor is testing regularly, what tests have you been having done? Also what kind of doctor is treating you for this? Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion, because it really sounds quite uncomfortable and that EF is very low.

Thanks for the help. I will start a new thread. It has been a while since I have been on this site. I have been seeing a cardiologist every 6 months and it has been 9 months since I have had an echocardiogram. I also have a pacemaker and it is checked every 3 months.
Two years ago when my EF dropped to the 20-25% range I did visit with a surgeon and he was going to go ahead with the surgery. I spoke with him first because he was going to be out of town for a few days and they wanted to be sure and get me in with him before he left. I then had an arteriogram and a TEE and after doing this the cardiologist said that they felt the valve was not leaking as bad as what the echocardiogram had showed and as long as I wasn't having any more complications than I have had that we could take a wait and see. The cardiologist and surgeon both are out of the Oklahoma Heart Hospital in Oklahoma City. I can still do my day to day things, I clean houses and a couple of buildings for a living but I can tell I am going downhill and it is just harder and harder to make myself put one foot in front of the other. I have days that I feel absolutely wonderful and other days where I feel I want to give up the ghost and say do the surgery now. It is usually when I have the extra 3 lbs. or so and I just almost feel that I am retaining water in my abdomen area or around the heart possibly? I don't really feel bloated I just feel full and have this sense of dread about eating again until it goes away. It definitely makes me think more about how much I eat and what I eat.
Thanks for hearing me out and your advice. I am scheduled to see the pacemaker clinic next week and the cardiologist in January but if I continue having problems I will call and get a sooner appt.

I've had a rough time after surgery but not one day since my surgery did I feel as bad as before surgery. I wish I wouldve had it done months earlier. I net into surgery at 155 pounds and now 8 weeks later I eat much more and have been since I got home from the hospital, all that fluid is gone and I'm 130 lbs. At 155 I wasn't swollen looking sometimes I'd get swelling in my feet but I had a desk job. I was even taking 40 mg of lasix a day. Even though I'm having issues with palpatations and inflammation I feel much better than before surgery. I didn't realize how bad I felt until a week after surgery. I was in pain still but I could breathe. I was short of breath noticeably quite a few times before surgery but now hat I can breathe perfectly I now know that I was short of breath for a whole year. So I'd definetly see a surgeon again if I were you. What did they say your regurgitation is at? I was a +4.

Yes, I agree.... OAKIE -- please check in with the cardio very soon or get a new cardio! You may be ready for surgery (not meaning to scare you -- just want you to join the club!!). Sometimes things drop off rather quickly (months, not years) and it's best to check things out!

Michelle, I have had some luck juggling my blood pressure meds. You MUST get the doctor okay, tho, of course (messing with the "electronics" of your heart is not advisable without professional knowledge). Mine just didn't seem to be lasting the whole day. So we split them and I took one/half in the morning and one/half in the evening. Well, that wasn't enough, so I ended up taking a whole one in the morning and a half one at night. So far that has been working great. Of course I still get palps (and as I eat this rich chewy chocolate cookie I know I'm asking for some) but they really have been radically tamed.

Don't give up. :smile2:

Marguerite

I'm on sotalol for a-fib, and I'm weird and they help keep the a-fib in control but cause even more PVCs for me. The lower my hr the more PVCs I get. The sotalol lowers my heart rate. I can't take amidarone because it puts me into a-fib. I take 40 mg 2x a day of sotalol. I was on 80 2x a day and the PVCs were worse. Hopefully I can stay out of a-fib and get off the sotalol. In a month I'm going to request a holter and try getting off the sotalol and back on toporol which seemed my best beta-blocker experience.

I looked up the Vagus nerve on wikipedia, very interesting stuff. The vagus nerve is affected by eating and the vagus nerve regulates heart rate.

Latest posts

Back