One week post op questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

I've got a few. First when can I expect to be scab free and taking baths again? I miss my bath tub. when will I be having normal bm again? They are still very rare. When will my lungs feel normal again? When will the sore throat from breathing tubes end?

I'll be 1 week post-op tomorrow (avr) so I don't have any answers for you, but I will watch with interest the answers. I have lost the sore throat at least but would like to know when will I begin to sleep better?

Doug

Like everything about this surgery everyone is different, but Justin has had quite a few OHS and has always been told not to take a bath Or go in a pool ect until 6 weeks post op. AS for the BM, Have you been eating well and getting your walking in? Are you still taking pain meds? As long as you are taking pain meds it can be a problems, Justin's last couple surgeries, they kept him on something like mirolax as long as he was taking the prescription pain meds, but even on pain meds, it seemed to be better the better he ate and when he was able to be a little more active, doing a few walks a day ect.
The lungs may take a while since If I remember right , you were a smoker, My Mom had alot of problems with her lungs after her 2 surgeries (CABG and abdominal annuerysm) because her lungs weren't in that great of shape going INTO surgery.
But if you don't have previous lung issues, or don't have post op issues, like collapsed lungs or plueral or pericardial fluid (fluid in the sacs surrounding your lungs or heart) it takes a little time but like the walking, which also helps your lungs, the more you work on your breathing excercises, use your spirometer ect, the quicker your lungs should recover.

Both my OHS, I was told no baths or swimming for 6 weeks or until skin was fully healed... no open spots.
I had trouble having first BM in hospital but as soon as I got home and started eating my usual high fiber diet and walked daily, my system quickly returned to my normal in that regard.

Now that you are a non-smoker, your lungs will slowly thank you. You need to be patient and absolutely do your breathing exercises as often as instructed.

I've been intubated for 4 surgeries and never had a sore throat from it...... something to be grateful for. Hopefully yours is slowly improving and as long as it keeps getting better, it probably is a matter of patience. If it continues too long you may wish to speak with your PCP.

All in all, sounds like all is normal for you being so short time post op.
Hope you have no bumps.

After my first OHS, I had no sore throat issues, but after my last one, I had a sore throat post-intubation for about 2-2 1/2 weeks. Not terribly sore the whole time, mind you, more achy than anything else, and my voice was a little off.
Hated using the spirometer again, but after my first OHS issues with my lungs (was a bit lazy and had a lot of fluid in the lungs to boot) I was pretty aggressive with using it. Frustrating at first, but man, it felt so much better when everything opened up again.
Good luck!

--Dan

After my first OHS, I had no sore throat issues, but after my last one, I had a sore throat post-intubation for about 2-2 1/2 weeks. Not terribly sore the whole time, mind you, more achy than anything else, and my voice was a little off.
Hated using the spirometer again, but after my first OHS issues with my lungs (was a bit lazy and had a lot of fluid in the lungs to boot) I was pretty aggressive with using it. Frustrating at first, but man, it felt so much better when everything opened up again.
Good luck!

--Dan

Dan,

How long if you recall to have your breathing "open up" completely? I'm 1 week post op AVR today and each morning I wake to much less lung capacity than when I went to bed.

Doug

Hi, I was instructed no baths until my incision was completely healed. I imagine you can soak the lower part of your body without saturating or submerging your incision but that really isn't the same as a nice comforting hot bath... :)
Bowel movements.. eat lots of fruit & fibre. If you are having issues I would talk to the doc or pharmacist about some stool softner. There is nothing worse than getting blocked up solid..
As for your lungs, use your spirometer as much as possible. I had my lung partially collapse after my surgery and let me say I have not had pain that bad before. Even surgery pain was not as bad as that so please breathe breathe breathe.... I even used mine in the middle of the night when I woke up to go to the bathroom for I could feel my lungs aching.
I didnt have any issues with my throat. I hope yours will get back to normal soon. I wish you luck in your recovery and hopefully you won't experience any bumps in the road... :)

I didn't have a sore throat after surgery.
Penny is right, use the spirometer a lot. It will help. I had collapsed lung, too.
BM may take a week or two to normalize.

Michelle, I would second the comment that if you are still taking pain meds you need to be using a stool softener. The pain meds also interfer with sleep. As soon as you can make the transition to Tylenol or Ibuprofen your sleep should improve. It is most important to be very dedicated to using the spirometer and walking to restore lung function. Walking will do more than anything else to restore your lungs and I'm convinced that it also helps one to sleep better. After my AVR, my lung function wasn't back to normal until sometime in the 3rd week.

for what it's worth, this was my experience.

Dropping the kids off at the pool within three days, very regular after that
never had a sore throat
In the tub at 5 weeks
The chest thing is a roller coaster for many; I had a nasty cough for weeks getting rid of that gunk. Mine even got better, then worse, then went away
You will most likely sweat like a stuck pig when you sleep, but that goes away in 6 or 7 weeks

On the lung issue I am post op 3 weeks, in the breathing exercise machine I am now the same as before surgery. I also smoked for 15 years quit cigarettes in April and just puffed on Cigars until the surgery. I am now completely smoke free.

One week post-op myself today. The sleeping thing is a big issue for me as I can't do it for more than 3 straight hours. I usually feel like crap when I do wake up and feel like I neeed to get up and move around.
Lack of appettite coupled with a dulled taste palate is another issue. I rarely want to eat.
Breathing is ok but a too quick trip up the stairs will wipe me out.

Dan

One week post-op myself today. The sleeping thing is a big issue for me as I can't do it for more than 3 straight hours. I usually feel like crap when I do wake up and feel like I neeed to get up and move around.
Lack of appettite coupled with a dulled taste palate is another issue. I rarely want to eat.
Breathing is ok but a too quick trip up the stairs will wipe me out.

Dan

It's been a week and 3 days for me now. Today I finally wanted to eat and did enjoy what I was eating, finally. Today I didn't take any naps so I'll let you know how many consecutive hours I've been able to sleep. The stairs are rough for me too.

Michelle, you sound like you are having a really quick recovery. No way in Hail was I gonna take stairs 10 days after surgery. Heck, I was still in ICU, on the external pacer! I don't remember quite when my appetite returned, but I doubt it was while I was in ICU!
As ill as you were before surgery, you are doing great!
Don't rush things. Get plenty of rest, eat, sleep, breathe, walk. And take the pain meds. There are no medals for having a stiff upper lip.
Hugs,

for what it's worth, this was my experience.

Dropping the kids off at the pool within three days, very regular after that
never had a sore throat
In the tub at 5 weeks
The chest thing is a roller coaster for many; I had a nasty cough for weeks getting rid of that gunk. Mine even got better, then worse, then went away
You will most likely sweat like a stuck pig when you sleep, but that goes away in 6 or 7 weeks

"Dropped the kids off at the pool.............."
You were permitted to drive three days after coming home? Did I misunderstand your post?

My appettite and sense of taste has improved noticieably since I stopped taking Oxycodone for pain 24 hours ago. Strictly Tylenol for me now.

Better sleep for me last night. Close to 5.5 straight hours.

Dan

I had no idea that's what it meant. Is that by way of the American Medical Association? :)

Lol! Of course! :thumbup:
I figured everyone knew what it meant. I think I posted about dropping my kids off at the pool at 2 a.m. my last night in the hospital.

Latest posts

Back