Ok to sleep on your side?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARGreenMN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've always slept on my side a lot. But for the first 2-3 wks after surgery, I wasn't sure if my sternum was strong enough to do that, and I think it hurt a little when I'd try. So I tried to sleep on my back all the time.

But the last couple weeks, I've been feeling like things are solid enough that I've been sleeping on my side more and more. And over the last few days, there's been a few mornings when I'd wake up and notice a pain (in the bones/tendons, not the skin, and it's not angina) at the area towards the top of my incision. It's not severe, but noticeable, and gets a little worse when I twist or move the wrong way. But then seems to pretty much go away after an hr or so. Today was one of those days. Now, it's raining (again) today, and I've heard changes in weather can cause those kind of things too. But I'm just wondering, does anyone remember their doc saying not to sleep on their side after surgery, and if so, for how long??? I don't remember them telling me that - I was just trying to avoid it early on because it seemed like common sense. But I'm wondering now if I should try to go back to only on my back?

I'm the same way, a side sleeper all the way. After MVR I did not sleep on my side for about 4 weeks - and slept poorly because it hurt to sleep on my back. Of course, everything hurt then. But I was concerned about having my sternum heal properly/straight.

You can get some big pillows and use them to prop yourself halfway onto your side, but where your weight is still not on your ribcage. That helps the first few weeks. Not perfect, but it helps.

Although I almost never hear my valve during the day, I still find when I sleep on my left side that my valve echos in my ear more, 'cause my ear is in the pillow. So I use a u-shaped firm pillow where the corner supports my cheek, head, and neck, but my ear is in the open space. I don't hear the valve that way. If the noise bugs you, try something like that once you are again sleeping on your side.

Oh, and thanks for using paragraphs in your post - it's sooo much easier to read on the computer with some spaces every couple of sentences, rather than one big block.

Thanks Agility. I tried all that too early on (pillows to prop me up halfway on my side). Worked pretty well like you described. But I was wondering if it's safe now to go cold-turkey and be a full-side-layer again ;) Probably too late if it's not safe, cause I've been doing it for a week or more now, lol.

<New Paragraph - lol - just couldn't resist> Oh, and I just talked to yet another health professional who seemed to know her stuff (my insurance has case workers who call to check on you and allow you to ask questions, etc. - pretty cool process). She said (unless your doc says otherwise) it should be no issue sleeping on your side, even early on. She said just listen to your body, and if something hurts, stop doing it. I told her now I'm worried I might be hearing some clicking in that upper area when I move, which is a warning sign I've heard to watch for. She pretty much put my fears to rest (for now) saying that if I'd broken my wires, I'd know it - I wouldn't be 'wondering' if that's clicking I'm hearing - it would be pretty obvious. Hope she's right!

I'm a side sleeper and started sleeping on my side in the rehab hospital 5 - 6 weeks after my surgery because I had a sore on my backside from being in bed on my back for awhile. Didn't hurt at all until I got out of the hospital. I developed a pain on my right side under the rib cage and on the left side close to where they put my pacemaker. The pain seemed to get worse when I layed on my side. So it was back to sleeping mostly on my back. Finally both pains went away a couple of months ago so I'm back to sleeping on my side, without the pain.

MANY Heart Surgery patients are advised to Sleep in a Recliner for the first few weeks,
until the Sternum becomes a little more stable.

IF you feel your sternum move / click when trying to sleep on your side,
it would probably be a good idea to wait a little longer before side sleeping.
You might also want to talk with your Surgeon or one of his Nurses about this issue.

'AL Capshaw'

I slept on my side while still in the hospital after they pulled my chest tubes...day 7 I think. By the time I got home on day 10, I was on my stomach. No damage done.

Kim

Sleeping on ones side

Sleeping on ones side

I had the same problem and before my surgery could never get to sleep on my back altho' I often woke up that way. I found that after surgery I slept in intensive care on my back for about 3 days and later, 8 days, found I could sleep on my back with a little propping up with pillows. After about 2 weeks I slept on my side with a cushion under my left lumber region. I still have difficulty sleeping on my left side although it is far better than it was.
As I have recovered I have found that sleeping on my back is getting more difficult again.

I started sleeping on my side 2 nights after my surgery. I was still in ICU. The nurse just used pillows to support my back and chest. I have had kids that slept on there stomachs within a few days.

Debbie

I sleep on my side all the time. I slept on my side during my entire hospitals stay. I never had any sternal discomfort from that. I followed the sternal precautions but no one ever said anything about not sleeping on my side and the nurses helped me to get into that position. I used a couple of pillows to support my upper arm up almost level in the air for a few weeks. That may have helped to reduce any sternal pressure. Anyway, I have had no problems with that.

I always sleep on my side, but did not in the hospital. First night I got home I did and it was fine; however, in the middle of the night when I started to turn to my right side, I stopped. Still felt sore from the chest tube being there. I didn't have a sternotomy and though the incision was on the right side of my chest, it was the chest tube soreness, not the incision, that kept me off my right side for about a week at home.

I'll add to the group who started sleeping on my side on POD #5 before I left the hospital so that I would know that I could sleep on my regular bed at home. Been sleeping on my side ever since with no problems.

After my first AVR, I had trouble sleepng on my left side for quite a while, mosly because it amplifies your heartbeat and anything odd that's going on with the rhythm. It also felt odd, because of the other organs pressing lightly on the heart.

The second AVR, I was sleeping on either side the first week I was home. Just didn't bother me. As far as your rib cage, it should be wired tight enough that sleeping on your side shouldn't harm it, unless you're unusually large or seriously overweight. However, you may find that your intercostals (small muscles between your ribs) or your pectorals may have a say in whether it's comfortable enough to actually do. Certainly, if it doesn't cause pain, it's not harmful.

If you're squeamish, wait about six to eight weeks. Some folks find it takes them a year to feel comfortable on their side again (especially the left side).

Best wishes,

Andy, how do you come up with these thoughts to share?

Yesterday had an active day, mowed a couple of acres and did mini gardening so was out for several hours...so figured I was tired enough last night. 3 weeks post op, to crash for 2nd night with no sleeping pills

just could not fall asleep, constant rain on the roof, wife making buzzsaw noises, every reason to lay on my back and stare at the celing, when finally after laying there for almost 2 hours, got out of bed, had to give the dog another noghtime biscuit, had a glass of water and said what the heck, let's try side sleeping for a change and promptly fell asleep...woke up in somewhat of a panic, cause by then was more on stomach than side.

so now know that i can sleep on back, side and maybe stomach and still wake up next morning (grin)

what a relief, whew, guess things are getting back to normal, but still bewildered that after 16 active hours, much outdoors, much walking, 3 weeks post op, now have a sleeping disorder that i have never had pre op...pre op, 5 minutes or less to sleep normally....they dune did someting to my body and i do hope it is temporary, else will become an addict of OTC sleeping pills

I was worried about that too but they told me that I could sleep on my side as soon as I was able, I did it the 2nd-3rd night that I was home, a week after surgery.

I was re-assured by my doc this afternoon (like someone else said) that as long as it doesn't hurt, it's safe. So I'm gonna keep doing it ;) Gil, lol, I'm having the same sleeping issues. I think it's probably a combination of the meds, and the fact that we're getting a lot more rest than we're used to? Even though you did a lot yesterday, I bet overall, you're getting more rest than you're used to, so your body just wasn't tired yet. I've noticed the same thing. But today, I think my sleep deprivation caught up to me, and I crashed for 3 hrs tonight after supper, lol. Which explains why I'm up now and wide awake... I'm hoping this is temporary too - I have to go back to work one of these weeks, lol.

im glad you asked this question because i was wondering the same thing. i have gotten brave and found a way to sleep on my side. its sooooo comfortable. but then i wake up a little TOO comfortable and worry its going to ruin the healing process!

Latest posts

Back