Not covered\Dr. Says No to PST

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Edmonton

I went to test the INR machine at London Drugs, have a prescription from coagulation clinic. Contacted insurance company, they will not cover any part of it, strips included. I pay premium rates and cannot get coverage, talked to my company administrators for the plan we purchase and they will discuss this at there next meeting, I will supply them with information from this site, might help!
It is easy to get tested where I live so it is a non issue right now but I hope to be able to home test. Had a lab rat last week jab me in both arms and dig around to find the vein then proceeded to tell me it is because of all the scar tissue I have!
My first request from my GP was "NO" to home testing. I respect him, so I asked the pharmacy Coag. Rep. and she said tests have shown a 30% error in some cases with home testing.
I will continue to seek home testing if I can get at least the strips paid for. At $50 for 6 strips it is to rich for my blood. The company will just have to give me time off (under time) to go get tested until I have too much real scar tissue in my veins!

Currently I am at 4 mg on Monday and Fridays and every other day is 3 mg. Early yet, but I seem to be fluctuating between 2.1 and 2.7 for an INR.

Jeff from "The Great White North"

One of the primary sources for Home Testing Instruments and Test Strips in USA is Alere (who purchased QAS not long ago). You might want to contact them, even if they do not do business in Canada, to see if they will send you their information package on Home Testing.

I posted their contact information previously. Do a Search for Alere or "Alere contact" and you should be able to find it.

'AL Capshaw'

Jeff, did you try calling the head office for Roche Diagnostics in Montreal, Quebec?
When I called them they immediately mailed me a brochure, which I then showed my doctor, and I bragged about
this lovely VR website educating me, so my doc agreed that we give it a go. Two weeks later I had my monitor.
Most insurance companies will cover about 80% of the test strips. Buying 24 at a time keeps the cost right down.
Oh, and Fight with the insurance rep.....these strips are on the same page as diabetic testing supplies.
I've been doing home testing for the past 4 years, no problem at all.

Also, regarding your INR.....don't be shy to bump things up a bit.
Having an INR of 3 point something is much safer than being too low near the 2.0 especially since you have a
mitral mechanical. Maybe take a 4 mg dose on one more day each week.

Good morning Jeff
You're another member from western Canada having a problem convincing your PCP that POC (point of care) monitors are a valuable tool for managing INR.
Whoever told you monitors are 30% inaccurate has been/is grossly misinformed. Donm't listen to them.
Our private insurance won't cover strips or the monitor so I assume all costs. AND as POC monitors are approved by Health Canada save all your receipts (strips and monitor) because they are 100% tax deductible so the cost is neutral.
My vein is very scarred from lab tests causing me to be extremely motivated to do "finger sticks" instead.
Two years ago my spouse needed a stent for a blocked artery requiring warfarin. The hospital pharmacist spouted the same line: they're not accurate, not reliable, blah blah blah. So the hospital was informed, the pharmacist was informed and the umbrella organization overseeing pharmacists was informed in no uncertain terms of their errors. At the time I was into my second monitor after the first one wore out. It's an uphill battle, but one well worth the effort to win. I've been there, and done that.

Jeff, when I was in my fight to get my monitor, I received something form Health Canada which I forward to my GP - I could past it on to you if you like. Also it was my Cardio who gave me the prescription to get the monitor, maybe yours will too.

I have insurance through work with Manulife, I was looking in the home testing forum and say the PST acronym which stands for Patient self testing. Talked with my GP, he is convinced that there will be alternate drugs in the near future.
I am not sure what to believe anymore.

Jeff, when searching on the internet look for POC like Lance had said. Also check your paper work you get from work regarding your Manulife contract. It may say in there if they will cover a monitor, or phone them directly. Make sure you have your companies policy/group number on hand.

I have insurance through work with Manulife, I was looking in the home testing forum and say the PST acronym which stands for Patient self testing. Talked with my GP, he is convinced that there will be alternate drugs in the near future.
I am not sure what to believe anymore.

Near future? That's what my surgeon told me nearly 8 years ago.

There may be anticoagulants that will work for other situations, such as short-term post-op for joint replacements or for a-fib, but long-term ("permanent") uses are another thing, at this time.

There is one replacement for a-fib patients, but it's not approved for valve replacements. This new drug costs, from what I've heard, as much as $8 A DAY. Warfarin works - generic costs less than 20 CENTS a day for most people. Warfarin works - although, as we all know, INRs should be monitored, and may fluctuate with activity, diet and other changes.

One of the 'new' anticoagulants apparently doesn't have a way of reversing the effect (in other words, if you're over-anticoagulated, there's no 'Vitamin K' to reverse your high INR).

You might tell your doctor that you're willing to take the risk that your meter will be obsolete when a new medication comes out. (You might also point out that, if history is any teacher, a new medication will cost dollars a day)

Good question. The finger stick has been shown to be accurate and immediate. Mishandling of collected blood or lab reagents can produce erroneous results. Newer meters (CoaguChek XS, InRatio and InRatio 2, and all Protime meters) have built-in coding and quality controls and correlate well with lab tests.

Aside from perhaps being able to charge more for a needle stick and the test, I don't see any real advantage to this type of testing.

Latest posts

Back