North to Alaska

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadgetman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
WOW!!!! It’s been so long I was afraid my password wouldn’t work. Obviously it did. :thumbup:

Well Bubba and the missus will be flying (in a plane of course) this Friday (yes, FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH!!!:eek2:) out of Columbus G A thru Dallas/Ft Worth to Vancouver, British Columbia to board our Cruise to Alaska. We will spend one night in Vancouver and board the ship Saturday. We meet up with three families that we used to camp with when we were in DC.

When we get to Alaska, we will board a train and ride the rails to McKinley. From there we go to Denali and end up in Fairbanks the 23rd. We fly back home early on the 26th thru Seattle, Dallas then back to Columbus G A.

I know some of you have already made this cruise so any helpful suggestions (EXCEPT DON’T GO!!!) will be appreciated. We are really looking forward to getting away for a while.

I’ve been peeking in here but have to fight the wife for computer time at home. She is deeply into this FARMING thing (on a computer no less) and I have to SHAME her to get on for a few minutes. I lost access from my work computer (BIG BROTHER) to VR.ORG and that put a big damper on things. :mad2:

Hope everyone is doing great. Because of the cruise I’m sure we probably won’t make the Reunion Trip this year but are waiting to mark our calendar for 2011. Pick a great place guys.

May God Bless,

Danny :smile2:

Danny:

I envy you!!!!!!!!!

My co-worker's 23YO son is MOVING to Alaska. Driving up there with a cousin who is also moving. Should be in Cheyenne, WYO tonight (Monday). They'll drive to Bellingham WA and then take a ferry on to Alaska.

Hope you change planes at Terminal D at DFW Airport. It's the international terminal, so the restaurants are terrific. The other terminals -- just average.

Sounds like your wife is into Farmville..............

So happy to hear that Bina let you out of the basement so you can take this cruise Bubba, I've been wondering how you were doing. Don't forget to bring some warm clothing....them nights can be a little chilly.
[FYI - the Olympic Cauldron in Vancouver should be really close to the Seven Sails (that's the port where your ship will be) if you have time to see it]

Take lots of pictures and have a blast

Last edited:
The train ride up to Denali is wonderful! The standing joke in Alaska is....what is the state bird? Answer: the mosquito! Take some bug spray. When we went out to the salmon roast I could not believe the size and quantity of mosquitos up there. Other than that you're in for a treat because everything, the glaciers, the wildlife in Denali, the stops in Sitka, Ketchikan, the train ride along the old gold rush route all all really fun.

Enjoy your trip!

Jim

Ooooo Danny....you are going to fall in love with Alaska!

We took a 7-day cruise/tour to Alaska in 2008 but we flew into Anchorage & then did the 4-day tour first to McKinnley, & Denali. While on our tour of Denali Park, we saw grizzlies, moose, caribou, eagles right by the roadside, Dall sheep, a family of Lynx cats, foxes. Then we boarded the Denali Express Train that took us to Whittier to board our ship. We visited the ports in Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan & ended up in Vancouver where we caught our flight back.

It was an absolutely astounding trip.....I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again!

Have a wonderful time. :)

(I have some pictures of our trip in my profile page.)

The train ride up to Denali is wonderful! The standing joke in Alaska is....what is the state bird? Answer: the mosquito! Take some bug spray. When we went out to the salmon roast I could not believe the size and quantity of mosquitos up there. Other than that you're in for a treat because everything, the glaciers, the wildlife in Denali, the stops in Sitka, Ketchikan, the train ride along the old gold rush route all all really fun.

Enjoy your trip!

Jim

We were told that we visited at just the right time of year Jim, (May), because we did not encounter any mini helicopters (mosquitos) during our trip. :)

Anyone need a luggage porter
travel1-travel-happy-bag-smiley-emoticon-000423-large.gif

Gadget,

I waited until after you left before I posted. In case you're feeling down after your Alaskan adventure, you'll have this reply to cheer you up.

Trip advice: don't pet the bears.

Location of next year's reunion: Bubba's backyard.

Peggy's virtual farming: if it FT, send me a note. If it's FV, don't bother.

Miss you: always!

Pictures, PICTURES!!!! Everybody wants Pictures.

It has only been - - - - - - - - OOOOPS 16 DAYS (!!!!!!:eek2:) since we got back.

OK here goes (first time on this new site---let's see if I can get it to work):

Here are Peggy and I in front of Mendenhall Glacier, just outside Juneau, AK.

100_1391.jpg

Last edited:
At the head of Glacier Bay ----- If I've got one, I've got a hundred pictures of glaciers.......

We had several calf (piece broke off) but as we were over a half mile away it was hard to get a picture of it actually happening. If you look in the right center of this picture you will see the wave coming out from the splash.

Attachments

• 100_1612.jpg
    100_1612.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 123
Picture from our balcony showing the Helm while we were in Glacier Bay. There was a guide walking around in there talking about what we were looking at (could hear it over the PA and Room TV)

Attachments

• 100_1529.jpg
    100_1529.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 120

Latest posts

Back