Night time palpitations

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was having a major problem with palps, they seemed much worse at night when I would go to bed. I actually don't think they were worse, it just seemed more annoying and I thought about them more because they would keep me from going to sleep. Lying on my left side definitely made them worse. Lying on my right was the best. Sorry, I don't have any advise to make them stop. I lived with them for over 18 months every night.

Yes, very definitely. Starting about 2 wks post-op, and continuing for a couple wks after that, almost every time I'd lay down, or even recline, I'd start getting palpitations. And since I can hear every heartbeat very clearly, and can also feel the palpitations very clearly, I know it wasn't just more noticeable, there was some kind of link between laying/reclining and the palpitations starting. The only thing I figured out to do that helped was to get up and walk around... Almost always seemed to help. Tried sleeping in a chair sitting up a few times, and very very slowly reclining (like a couple more inches every couple min) - had some success but not very comfortable. Not sure if the meds helped or whether I just finally healed enough that they went away, but they finally did.

The good news though (beside them most likely being temporary) is that they're not dangerous according to all the professionals I talked to. A disclaimer though, they said they're not dangerous as long as you're anti-coagulated (which I am due to my mechanical valve). So I finally was able to just relax and let the palpitations do their thing and still eventually get to sleep - but I wasn't a fan of them at all...

Oh and they gave me some anti-axiety meds which helped me go to sleep. That helped a fair amount.

Last edited:
Have you told your Cardiologist about your 'palpatations'?

Has anyone conducted an EKG or had you wear a 24 or 48 hour Holter Monitor to capture those palpations so that they can be identified?

Once identified, there are many different medications that can help to control / suppress heart arrhythmias.

Note that Many Doctors seem to like to prescribe Amiodarone as their First Line of Defense.
Amiodarone is the Sledge Hammer of anti-arrhythmic medicatiions with several Nasty Side Effects if taken in too high a dose or for too long a time (more than several months / year). Even the manufacturer suggests that Amiodarone should be the medication of "Last Resort".

'AL Capshaw'

I and too many of us had PVCs after surgery. I still have them until now. They are not harmful, but annoying. Caffeine and anxiety/tension worsens them too.

Just for your record, try to keep track of how often you have them, for how long, and what is your HR at the time, so that you can compare them with time. If too often, and too long, share the info with your cardio

This is how I realize that mine these days are much less than a year ago! I put my stetoscope at night and listen to my heart and carry a second timer in my other hand. My hubby laughs at me "playing doctor"! :D

I've had PVCs since college, I think lying down you can just feel them more. I used to take a Xanax before bed and that seemed to help a lot. Any kind of stimulant makes them worse, caffiene, stress, ciggarettes. Since I stopped drinking caffienne and smoking the PVCs are less significant. If they bother you to where you are losing sleep you may want to see if your doctor will prescribe a low dose if Xanax before bed, it's the only thing that help for me and I've been fighting PVCs for many many years.

Penny, those night time palps drove me right out of my mind. Especially since I hadn't found VR.org at that time.
So, I am still out of my mind ;), but at least I know what the palps are. I've worn a Holter monitor a few times and it showed
benign PVCs/PACs and short runs of SVT. I make sure to take Metoprolol before bed time, and when I wake up at 5:00 a.m.
with a fast HR there is another tiny dose of 6mg Meto that I take so I can get back to sleep.
Check with your doc.

PAC's and PVC's tend to be "Regularly Irregular" i.e. there is a short irregular pattern that repeats itself.
Several different types of Beta Blockers are commonly used to control / prevent PAC's and PVC's.
PAC's and PVC's are generally considered to be benign (as indicated by the Yawn on the Cardio's face). unless they are continuous.
They are easily identified by an EKG or 24 hour Holter Monitor.

Atrial Fibrilation can be Very Erratic and/or Fast. .
(I refer to it as a "Whack-O" Heartbeat.)
A-Fib can cause Clots to form so Coumadin is usually recommended.
A-Fib is The Most Common Reason Older Patients are put on anticoagulation (Coumadin / Warfarin).

'AL Capshaw'

I got palputations for about 12 hours the other night and I am on Cardizem, Amiadrone and Lopressor. It went away. I was giving it just a little bit longer and then calling the cardiologist. I have an appt. next week anyways so ill definitely mention it.

I still have these irregular heart beats, skipped beats, etc. from time to time. I'm sure they frightened me shortly after surgery, but it's kinda "ho-hum" now.....but they still get my attention. They seem to be more noticeable at nite when I am lying down. My wife, a retired RN, also gets them and I think vr patients are much more tuned in to these events than "normal":rolleyes2: people. However, anytime I feel that something may be going on, it is always best to call a doc.

I was diagnosed with PVCs. Really strong ones almost feel like the knock the wind out of me, it feels like a heart hiccup. But usually the only happen one at a time and sometimes in patterns like every six beats for a minute or two I'll have them. Also a PVC if you feel your pulse in your neck feels like a missing beat so blub-blub-blub- -blub-blub. When I first started getting them I was having chest pains and went to the ER, I had stress tests and a holter monitor, I was low in potassium and the chest pains caused me to have panic attacks, then came the PVCs and they've never gone away since.

well I am already taking metoprolol and recently the doc reduced my dose due to nasty side effects. I was having issues all day long when first home from the hospital (which no longer is happening) but they want me to reduce it again..back to 12.5 twice daily. I am scared to drop it again for I don't want to end up in emerg again...
I go tomorrow to have another holter monitor put on for 24hrs and then they are giving me an event monitor after that to wear... I will chat with the doc if I get the chance while I am in his office. See what he has to say... thanks everyone for your advice.. I appreciate your support! :)

one reason that you may NOTICE palpitations at night when laying down is that you are in fact listening to your body then as you take time for yourself ....I know that it is at night when i feel the sensations of my missing sternum when at rest and laying in bed BUT in fact when I stop and sit down to relax I do notice a lot of the same sensations .....WAIT I just had a flutter as I looked at Janie's painted toes........nope it was as my wife walked by
tahdah.gif

Goodluck to you Penny and I hope you and your doctor/s get it all sorted out. Sorry to have hijacked your thread....:redface2:
no worries Janie... we are all here to help each other...:)
I have no idea what causes the flutters...my sis inlaw (who is an ecg tech) said after surgery the flutters,palpitations, etc are caused because the electrical impulses in your heart have been disrupted from surgery and it takes some time for your heart to finds its rhythm.. makes sense.. :)

Latest posts

Back