New to this side of mountain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean Counter

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I made it! I will give more details later but everything went well. The last thing I remember is going into the operating room and moving myself off the cart. Next thing I remember was when they took the breathing tube out (which I don't remember being that big of a deal). I was off and on all day, but mostly slept.

This morning they started taking my lines out. I am still in the ICU, but they are going to be moving me to a regular room shortly. The therapists took me for a walk already and I am now sitting in a chair. I coughed up some phlem earler and it was not that bad. I also had the help of a sir-cough-a-lot. bear.

Also, they said my incision is 4 inches and they used a horse valve. I will check back in later. On a scale of 1-10 I am at about a 5 right now.

Jim

Jim, welcome to the party! Holy cow, it's only about 24 hrs after surgery right now for you isn't it?

You're the first from this busy week of OHS buddies to post! And sounds like all is going exactly according to plan! Remember to do your breathing exercises, and do your walking! Wow, only 4 inch incicision huh, nice! Get some rest and let us know how it's going again when you feel up to it.

Thanks for the update. Glad things are going well, and you are doing everything right, just don't over do.
Did you get the ATS valve?

Yes, another record posting. My very best wishes for a continued smooth recovery. I, too have a 4 inch scar (but I'm pretty petite so it seems longer than 4 inches) :).

Wonderful news!! Now, I pray you have a great and uneventful recovery! Hang in there, sending many prayers your way!

Good to hear from you and especially good to hear how well you are doing.
Keep up the good work. :)

Jim, I am really impressed! You are on the computer already? I can picture my son wanting to take his laptop into surgery with him. He can never be away from it for too long. If it was my daughter, I think she would try to text through the surgery. So glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep it up! :)

Checking back in. I don't remember much from Monday, but was pretty with it yesterday. I was able to get up and walk a few laps today. I will most likely be heading home tonight. The general soreness has gone down quite a bit, but still getting the pain meds.

That is correct that it was a horse valve...something that was FDA approved about 2 years ago and is supposed to be more durable than the pig or cow valve.

The most frustrating thing has been the breathing tool (to work on lung capacity). I can do 10 reps hitting 1500, but I do find that if I take a nap, the highest I can get it is about 500. That is OK, I am guessing that I will encounter many little frustrations like that along the road to recovery.

Jim,

good for you, release from ICU and then hsopital 48 hours post surgery, that is super fast.

4" incision sound likes sternum is relatively intact and therefore likely the reason that coughing the phlegm not so bad.

Yes the spyro (breathing tool) is a pain, the more you can do and the more you can walk, the sooner recovery accelerates, or so it seems

all the best...Gil

Latest posts

Back