new member question about dizziness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheila, welcome to the VR community. I think it is only normal to worry that every possible symptom is related to ones heart valve but we are complex creatures and there can be other causes for any given symptom. Bob makes an excellent point that you need to talk with your cardiologist to find out what he is looking for before he recommends surgery. You need to have a voice in that decision making process. As my valve began to really deteriorate, my Cardio said that he would expect to see several symptoms normally but that tests to measure valve area and pressure gradient were equally important. There are after all some people who never really display overt symptoms. When he discussed a priority of symptoms with me a couple of years before surgery, he explained that dizziness could possibly be an indicator but that it is usually a minor issue unless one actually passes out. More serious is swelling of the legs as it can indicate congestive heart failure. Chest pain can be an indicator that one’s condition is becoming even more severe.

My cardio emphasized that it was really important that I be aware of what to expect and to report any changes promptly. Shortly after an echocardiogram measured my
- valve area at .74 cm2
- Peak gradient 127.5 mmHg
- Mean gradient 61.4 mmHg
I began experiencing chest pain. My Cardio immediately scheduled me for a heart cath and referred me to a surgeon on the same day.

A simplified view of how this diagnosis business works is that cardiologists tend to be conservative and look for a definitive combination of multiple symptoms along with the measurements. Surgeons, on the other hand, seem to rely more on the measurements and are focused on operating while the patient is still healthy and can realize the maximum benefit from surgery. By becoming well informed about your condition and what the different test mean, you can become an active part of the decision making process.

Old School Cardiologists like to wait for symptoms (which are signs of DAMAGE to the Heart).

Most Surgeons like to get in there and FIX the problem BEFORE there is Permanent Damage to the Heart Muscles and Walls.

With the Extremely High Success Rates for First Time Surgeries (1% morbidity, 1% mortality, nationally...even less at Major Heart Hospitals) I see Little or NO Benefit in postponing the inevitable.

Valve Disease Will NOT cure itself.
Surgery is the only way to FIX valve problems.

IMO, Sooner is Better for most patients.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Sheila,

Prior to my MVR I was having eye issues such as double vision and distorted vision. Surgery cleared up all the issues. Best of luck to you.:)

My cardiologist always wanted to know about my dizzy spells or fatigue which is severe now. For about three months however I have been expierencing eye twitches in my left eye. Could this be because of my aortic stenosis as well? I noticed some of you talking about vision changes.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I just wanted to give you an update on what is happening now with me. About 3weeks ago, I had another echo and saw my cardiologist afterwards. This time he felt it would be a good time to have a preliminary consultation with a surgeon to talk about timing of surgery.

Many of you have pointed out the difference in approach between the cardiologists and surgeons. It was like night and day!.

When I met with the surgeon it seemed to me it did not take him more than a couple of minutes to come to a decision. All he focused on was the valve area being .7cm2 and the fact that I had had dizziness with 2 near blackouts earlier in the year. It was the dizziness with near blackouts that he said could on another occasion become an actual blackout from which I may not recover. He said I was at high risk for sudden death and needed to have the valve replaced before Thanksgiving.

I told him that I felt well and could do the treadmill for 30mns at a speed of 2.5 with an incline at 2, I could watch my 2 grandchildren 5 and 2yr olds for 4-5 hours plus many other activities. He said that did not count.!! He said I was in a dangerous place.

He then said I should have a cath done in preparation for surgery, which I did this past Wednesday. The good news is that I did not have any blockages but Unfortunately, I had a rough time with the heart cath procedure .

I had some discomfort during the procedure itself and needed more of the Versed. Then I had a lot of pain from internal bleeding of the artery right after the procedure. I was told it was because they had to make several attempts to get to the femoral artery due to scar tissue. The nurse applied pressure and it did feel better after a while. 2 Hours later I was sent home.

That night around 1:30 I woke up with severe lower backpain which lasted close to 3 hours. I found out the next day that the pain was caused by more internal bleeding. It was actually a lifethreatening situation but I did not know and did not call the number they gave me at the outpatient cath lab. I just rested in bed most of the time the first 2 days and took it easy over the weekend. By the Grace of God I am feeling better today.

I thought the cath would be the easy part... I am a bit shaken by this whole experience.
The surgeon's office is ready to set the wheels in motion for surgery in 2 weeks, but I don't feel I am ready for that just yet. The surgeon may be right but I am still considering getting a second opinion before proceeding.
Sheila

Sheila, it sounds like its time. Im sorry for your discomfort, but your past that right now. I would definately get a second opinion, and make sure you feel comfortable with the surgeon. I hope the best for you, and keep us posted.

Oh boy, it sounds like it's time to get it done. Surgeons know the timing of it.
My valve was at .8cm and I had symptoms due to a very restricted valve. Strangely, I was
still in denial until the cardio doc in the echo lab revoked my driving priviledges.
With the heart cath they kept me overnight since I was dizzy and weak....12 days later I had the surgery.

The surgeon's office is ready to set the wheels in motion for surgery in 2 weeks, but I don't feel I am ready for that just yet. The surgeon may be right but I am still considering getting a second opinion before proceeding.

From your symptoms, I'd say you need surgery PDQ, if not yesterday. It is a leap of faith to absorb and acknowledge you will be having OHS, but you can't put it off.

I have thought about your comments. I know I do need AVR soon. I will see another surgeon for a second opinion and proceed from there. Thanks all of you for being there.
Sheila

I have thought about your comments. I know I do need AVR soon. I will see another surgeon for a second opinion and proceed from there. Thanks all of you for being there.
Sheila

I'm glad you will be getting things started. How has your recovery been since the problems with your cath?

I encountered what I describe as periodic dizziness. I'd get double vision, feel like I was going to pass out and sweat profusely during those few moments of terror. It was because of my aortic valve. Since I had surgery, I've never had those again.

I've had the double vision thing a couple times after both my surgeries. I was told by an eye doctor that it was 4th (or 5th) nerve palsy The vision was verticle stringing. Totally freaked me out. Still have to wonder if it was heart related.

I still get dizzy too at times.

I'm glad you will be getting things started. How has your recovery been since the problems with your cath?

Lyn, it took about a week for me to recover but now I am back to where I was before the cath. I will be seeing a new cardiologist this week and then to the surgeon for a second opinion.
Sheila

With your Symptoms and Measurements, I am inclined to agree with the Surgeon who advised you to have Surgery ASAP.

To my mind, there is NO BENEFIT in waiting and as the surgeon said, you are putting your LIFE in DANGER by postponing surgery.

Out of Curiosity, what surgeon did you interview and what hospital(s) does he use?

'AL C'

Distorted Vision?! Oh, I've had that a few times in the past month. All of a sudden it's as though my eyes cross themselves and it takes a half a minute for them to straighten back out! Is that what you mean?! - Dianne

"...several attempts to get to the femoral artery due to scar tissue..."

Sheila, I have no advice for you as I'm new here, too, but that sounds very scary.
I'm sorry you had to go thru that, and I hope you are confident you have a good surgeon. Best, Dianne

Latest posts

Back