My AVR surgery is Monday morning 8am PST

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pspingmom

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My nerves haven't hit yet. But the more I think about it, I'm sure they will.
I'm having the mini thoractomy. The surgeon said there was a 15-20% chance that it wouldnt work and then they would have to do the full sternotomy. Im taking the chance.
I have alot of people praying. SO I feel good about that. I have a really good surgeon. Hes been doing heart surgery for 30 years.
http://www.pomonavalleycardiac.com/Home/Surgeons/Rohit-Trivedi

So Im just putting it all in God's hands.

Im really looking forward to feeling better. Not so sluggish, short of breath, and dizzy.
If you think about it on Monday morning, can you send some good thought/prayers my way. I really appreciate all of the support, and answers to questions i've had over the last few weeks. Theres nothing like talking to people that have been through the same thing.

~Debra Ogilby:)

Debra, I found that during the final week before surgery I was much less anxious. After all, by that point, you've done most of what you can to prepare. One begins to feel that the process is taking on a momentum of its own. I, too, tried to rest as I could and avoid the worst of the symptoms. I hope all goes well for you this week.

Larry

Hi Debra,
I had a mini-thoracotomy, too. I had hardly any pain after surgery and no difficulty getting out of bed. I also was able to drive after 2 weeks. I had a cough after surgery, and I don't doubt with a sternotomy coughing would have been painful, even a sneeze didn't hurt.

Hope all goes well for you!

Your surgeon's going to do a great job and in a very short time you'll be well on the way to recovery!!

You will be amazed at the relative ease of this whole endeavor. And you will learn a new patience as you wade through your recovery. You are going to do well!! And you are going to be fine!

I will be thinking of you on Monday. We'll all be around to welcome you to the zipper club when you return, whether you end up with a "zipper" or not!!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Good Luck Debra Everyone is nervous before their surgery. It is hard to believe you have to go thru this. Stay positive and think how great you will feel next summer. There will be some rough times, but you will be laying in bed and can sleep thru a lot of it! LOL Not always easy, but you do spend a lot of time on your back. As you get better, the bad experinces tend to become memories. There were just the building blocks to getting back to a normal life. Pat

Debra,

Count me in too, I'll be with you in spirit. I have a special interest in you because I'm having the same surgery (minimally invasive too) December 6.

Let me tell you a trick I used several years ago when I had knee replacement surgery. I'm a retired psychologist, and I'm familiar with the research that indicates some patients actually register and remember what is going on around them even when under anesthesia, even though don't remember feeling any pain. Sometimes they even remember the conversation of the medical staff during surgery, which is not likely to be at the patient's comfort level. So what I did was take a little cassette tape player and earbuds with me into the operating room (clearing this ahead of time of course), and played a classical music tape during my surgery. Not sure whether it did any good, but I did have a quick and uneventful recovery. Just an idea you might like to try, since digital music playing devices are so small and convenient nowadays.

Your surgeon sounds wonderfully qualified. Please let us know how you are doing!

Warm regards,
Mary Newton

wishing you the very best. Stay strong and keep up your faith.
Good health to you!

Best Wishes for your surgery Debra.

BTW, you may want to edit your post(s) to remove your Last Name for privacy considerations.

Latest posts

Back