Missed the licence plate again...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was a train - and a bloody big one at that. I'm now nine days post-op (Ross Procedure) and have had two nights at home. Each day has been slightly better than the previous. I'm starting a bit of a home routine which includes getting up as soon as I'm properly awake and doubt I'll sleep again (between 6 and 7). I'll post more about my experience soon.
Hang in there.
Allison

I'm glad to read this Bryan. Now, you already know the drill so take care and post again when you feel up to it :)

BRYAN!!!!

Good to see you post ... thoughts/prayers for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery. :)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * RT_06.2011_us66+NW USA
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I've had enough" __ REO Speedwagon __ 'Time For Me To Fly'

Bumpity Bump

Bumpity Bump

Overall my recovery is going well. Eating well (no problems with taste this time), walks are up to 2mi a day. Have been able to sleep on my side since I got home.

I am having one major PITA. I have a unproductive cough that is killing me. It started about a week ago and sometimes I go into coughing jags that last for minutes, but it seems like hours and my chest feels like it is going to explode. I called the surgeon's PA Thursday and she upped my Lasix from 40mg twice a day to 60mg twice a day. I told her this felt more like a bronchitis type of cough. but she didn't listen. I increased the Lasix and it didn't do any good. I called the surgical resident on call Saturday and he agreed that it didn't sound like an excess fluid problem and told me to start taking Mucinex. That has done little to help. So I call the PA back today and I go in for a chest x-ray tomorrow. If it is not fluid related then she said it would not be considered surgical related and I would need to see my PCP (which I don't have because my previous one does not take medicaid and I haven't had time to find one that does. So if the x-ray shows no fluid buildup I have to go and pay to see my PCP. Can you see why we have a problem with our health care system? I went through all this bronchitis stuff in 2003 before finally being diagnosed with endocarditis 4+ months later.

I know what I need but I can't get anyone to listen to me...just like in 2003. I need a strong cough suppressant with expectorant, possibly a round of broad spectrum antibiotics to be on the safe side, and if it is safe at this point after surgery a Medrol dosepak. That is what finally put out the fire last time (although it was too late by the time I found a doctor smart enough to figure that out). If I do not get results tomorrow I am going to pizz some people off...lol. As long as I am coughing my lungs are going to stay inflamed, and as long as my lungs are inflamed I am going to keep coughing.

I have no rattle in my lungs. I can take a deep breath. I am hitting 3000 on my incentive spirometer, and I am able to walk with no problem. Wish my doctors luck tomorrow because they are going to need it. They are going to fix this before it gets out of hand this time and I don't mind stepping on some toes to make it happen.

Good luck with the doctors tomorrow, Bryan.
Let us know how it goes. We'll be thinking about you. You've been through too much to get pushed aside now.

Just a couple of thoughts--could it be GERD, and have you been put on an ACE inhibitor? Both of those can be the source of coughs.

I echo, Good luck with the doctors tomorrow.

Good news bad news. The good news is that the x-ray revealed that I do not have any fluid on my lungs. The bad news is that I had to go to an urgent care center that took medicaid to find out what the deal is with the cough (surgical staff said they can't treat anything not surgically related). As usual the DO immediately said it is asthma. I think they are taught that in DO school...if in doubt diagnose asthma. :D

She did a breathing treatment with albuterol and that lasted about 5 minutes before I was coughing again. I guess I need to find a qualified PCP who also takes medicaid. The good news was that the medicaid co-pay was only 3 dollars...lol. She did write me a prescription for a nebulizer so I guess I will use it. She also wrote for some Tylenol#3 tablets for the cough. Why she didn't write for a cough syrup that also included an expectorant is beyond me. I have been taking oxycodone for the chest pain I have from coughing so much (and also to hopefully suppress the cough) so I don't know how Tylenol #3 is going to work any better.

I had flashbacks to 2003 as this is the same scenario I went through before my chronic bronchitis became bacterial and I ended up with endocarditis.

Debby, no GERD, was on an ace inhibitor pre-surgery but have been off of it since the surgery. I did have the dry tickle cough while on it but this cough is in a totally different league. This is a "bone jarring" cough with jags that can go on for minutes.

Hopefully this will get a proper diagnosis soon, coughing is such a drag and totally draining.
My cough can sometimes be related to things that I eat, allergies, etc. But yours sounds like it really needs
attention and a solution before too long. Good Luck.

Cardiologist's NP to the rescue...again

Cardiologist's NP to the rescue...again

Boy when I need something done Michelle is the one to "get er done". I called her yesterday afternoon and she returned my call this morning. I was describing my problem between coughing jags and she could tell I had bronchitis symptoms. She called in some cough syrup and a Medrol Dosepak which my Mom is picking up as I type. Why my surgeon's staff was not willing to do this is beyond me. Why the urgent care center didn't do this is beyond me. I told all of them that I have had this occur before and the steroid taper and a cough suppressant/expectorant resolved the problem. It's a shame I had to go to such lengths to get what I need, but a blessing that there was someone with some common sense who didn't feel the need to "pass the buck" on to someone else. Anyway I will report back in a few days to let you know how things are progressing.

Thinking of you Bryan...so glad you posted so quickly....I have been out of town in the past week....hope by now things are even better....God bless you.

Jeri

What a difference a day makes. The cough is still there but is much more manageable and only a few coughing jags (and much shorter duration). I am already starting to bring up some phlegm (i know gross) when I do cough. Hopefully this trend will continue I can put this bump behind me. Otherwise everything is going well...walking, eating, resting, watching movies, and playing online poker (for play chips). :)

I see my surgeon Wednesday (16th) and hopefully I will get my staples and stitches out and get a clean bill of health.

Bryan - If your truck is anything like the ones that hit me, we won't be able to get descriptions or plate numbers, but we will remember the drivers' insane laughter for the rest of our lives!

Welcome home. Lets all keep up the good work on recovery!

I had my first post-op visit with the surgeon today. I got my staples and stitches out and I am down to steri-strips which he said I can take off in a week if they don't fall off on their own. I asked if I could have limited driving privileges for short rides up to the store and pharmacy and he agreed to this. He thinks my cough is coming from being "too dry" and stopped my Lasix. He said it sounded asthmatic in nature and referred me to a PCP at a Duke clinic that takes Medicaid. I needed a PCP anyway because I have hypothyroidism and BPH that need to be followed.

My surgeon follows his patients for life (something my first surgeon didn't do). I see him in 9 months and then annually after that (he will do an MRI at each visit). He wants me to continue seeing my cardiologist every 6 months and I will see him/her (ACHD clinic) in 3 weeks and then every 6 months. Oh I am also going to start cardiac rehab in a few weeks.

So for now everything is moving in the right direction and will hopefully continue that way. I feel blessed that a few months ago things looked so bleak and now I am on the other side of the mountain. I got financial aid for my surgery and other medical expenses at least through June through Medicaid. Duke's Hardship Charity program also accepted my case and is paying for my past bills prior to when Medicaid kicked in (August of last year), including 2 hospitalizations last spring/summer including my ablation, and several trips to the cardiologist including echos.

Now it is time to keep working on getting healthy and strong, eventually find a job, and become independent again. So for everyone waiting on surgery or recovering from surgery it does get better. I am only 3 weeks post-op and have made a lot of progress. I know more bumps in the road may face me and there are no guarantees in life, but I am in a much better place than I was only a few short months ago.

Good to hear things are looking up - best wishes with the upcoming job hunt.

Thanks...finding a job (especially with decent health insurance) may prove tougher than the surgery was.

:rolleyes:

That's terrific that the surgeon follows you for life, Bryan. I think there would be better fewer post-op complications if the surgeon stayed with us rather than turning us loose to a cardiologist.

Latest posts

Back