Managing stairs after the surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambriz

We are renting a house that has our bedroom upstairs, the lease is up in Nov and we are tossing around whether we want to stay here or not.

For anyone that had to deal with a flight of stairs, if you had had the opportunity to move to a one level would you have taken it or were the stairs not that big of a deal? All things being equal, we probably would remain here.

Thanks for any advice

I stayed with a friend 2 weeks after surgery. The bedrooms were upstairs. The stairs were tough, but I was able to do them. My preference would have been no stairs, but nothings perfect.

Debbie

Even though our house has stairs, the master is on the main level. However, I made a point of going up the stairs at least twice a day once I got home. I had to take them much slower than I normally would, but it wasn't a problem. I think if you plan your day right, you aren't constantly going up and down. You know, shower and get dressed in the am, then come down for most of the day, maybe going back up in the evening. Also, some hospitals make you go up some stairs before they will discharge you.

I would not go to the expense of moving just to avoid stairs after surgery.

My bedroom is upstairs, I'd prefer no stairs but they were manageable. Just going up to sleep and coming down in the morning was not really a big deal. It is actually nice now that I'm able to run up them, I don't realize I'm running up them either and I get to the top and feel "wow! I just ran up the stairs!".

Ok thanks, I was hoping I would read that it's not that bad! So this is good..

I had both my OHS at Mass General Hospital and it was required I walk a full flight of stairs before I left the hospital after each surgery. I had no difficulty whatsoever and no limit was put on me for stairs when I came home. Our bedroom is up a full flight of stairs and I walked them at least 3-4 times daily from my first day home each time. It is imperative to only lightly hold the handrail for balance but to not pull yourself up on the rail which can be tempting. The first few times, I had my DH walk just behind me to encourage my confidence but after two or so times, I was fine to go on my own.

I wouldn't dream of moving for one or two weeks of being 'careful' on the stairs. They truly were no issue for me at all.

I was instructed not to take the stairs up and down more than once a day the first three weeks! I do not know why, never I asked...I thought it was the norm! So, after I went downstairs, I went upstairs only in the evening to go to bed.

In general, stairs were not an issue at all. I would emphasize what Jkm7 said above that "it is imperative to only lightly hold the handrail for balance but to not pull yourself up on the rail which can be tempting".

Good luck.

I would emphasize what Jkm7 said above that "it is imperative to only lightly hold the handrail for balance but to not pull yourself up on the rail which can be tempting".
Why is this especially important?

Stairs

Stairs

Pulling with one's arms after having the sternum opened and then wired closed tends to generate a lot of pain. Using the handrail lightly for balance rather than pulling is good advice.

Stairs will only present a minor obstical for a short time. It may be more work to move than it's worth to avoid stairs post-op.

-Philip

Pulling with one's arms after having the sternum opened and then wired closed tends to generate a lot of pain. Using the handrail lightly for balance rather than pulling is good advice.

Stairs will only present a minor obstical for a short time. It may be more work to move than it's worth to avoid stairs post-op.

-Philip

ahh ok thanks. Yeah I'm thinking we will probably just stay here. Probably better to be somewhere familiar anyway after this happens.

I live in a small house and the bedrooms and bathroom are upstairs, so needless to say, I had to do the stairs. It was either 8 steps up or 8 steps down to get to a washroom.

Just remember to use your legs when doing the stairs and use the handrails for balance.

You'll be fine.

I would expect ALL Surgeons put patients on a Lifting / Pulling / Pushing Limit of 5 lbs for several weeks following Surgery, gradually increasing that number as the sternum heals (80% at 6 weeks, 100% at 12 weeks). Note that a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. A gallon of milk is probably close to that number.

'AL Capshaw'

We need to remember that being active is a good thing, not something to be avoided. Do not overdo or push too hard but by all means, walk around your house as much as you are able, walk the stairs, putter in your kitchen up to your ability and stamina but most important is to carefully adhere to lifting/pushing/pulling restrictions. To damage your unhealed sternum can mean a lifetime of unpleasantness. Go to all extremes to let it heal properly the first time around.

They had me up and walking within 12 hours of my surgery ending and that was with four chest tubes still in place. No question in my mind, the more active you get, the more walking you do, the better the recovery. Of course, some folks are not able to do that and adjustments are made accordingly.
Walk, walk, walk..........

I was home in three days after each surgery. Not only is our bedroom upstairs, but our bathroom is upstairs, so you can bet I was up those steps a few times every day. Fortunately, I never had problems with the stairs.

However, everyone is different.

Best wishes,

............................. it was required I walk a full flight of stairs before I left the hospital after each surgery. I had no difficulty whatsoever and no limit was put on me for stairs when I came home. Our bedroom is up a full flight of stairs and I walked them at least 3-4 times daily from my first day home each time. It is imperative to only lightly hold the handrail for balance but to not pull yourself up on the rail which can be tempting. The first few times, I had my DH walk just behind me to encourage my confidence but after two or so times, I was fine to go on my own.

I wouldn't dream of moving for one or two weeks of being 'careful' on the stairs. They truly were no issue for me at all.

GEE JIm I couild have penned that exactly .....even had a step master in the rehab.........DONT MOVE and gain the added workout

Another vote not to worry about stairs. In fact my surgeon used stair-climbing as a guideline. I was told that once I could handle two flights of stairs without getting short of breath, then I was OK'd to engage in...(ahem)... :eek:

I had no real difficulty with stairs but it was necessary to take them at a slower pace for a couple of weeks. Keep in mind that when you leave the hospital for home, your heart will not yet be healed but it will be functioning better than before surgery. It takes about three weeks for the heart itself to heal after surgery but during that time it is important that you get physical activity every day.

I was afraid that I would be pretty helpless when I got home and arranged for a friend to come stay with me for the first week. As it turned out, I found his company wonderfully comforting but I didn't need his help. From the first day home, I made my own meals, took my first shower and fed my beasties. The third day home, I did some laundry. You should not expect to be an invalid. Best of all, those unpleasant symptoms from before surgery are gone. If I were offering you a caution, it is the standard one: be gentle with yourself during those first three weeks and try not to over do the activity.

Larry

For me I didn't mind the going up the stairs thing because it kind of helped recovery. I just made sure I didn't over do it. I think you will be okay as long as you keep the things you will need through out the day downstairs.

My wife only started stairs after 4 weeks post Op. I think it all depends on the physical condition of each individual. But, should be very careful not to hurry and miss a step and fall. Please take a step at a time and be careful.

Latest posts

Back