Lets try a poll again!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lets try a poll again!

• YES

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • NO

Votes: 50 72.5%

• Total voters
I think my surgeon is talking about a permanent weight restriction.I'll know more when I see him the 23rd.Right now I'm almost five weeks post-op and have no other problems at this time.I'll just be happy to get off the medications I'm on.Another month or so I should be on just an aspirin a day.

Ross, you ask about physical impairement?

How about mental impairment? which is my case .... I have always felt at my best when my BP is 120/70 all my life until just before sugery it; yett the difference between diastolic and systolic pressures was the same; i.e. 110/60; 100/50; 90/45 the lowest before surgery. Now seven months after surgery my BP is 100/70 or 110/80-83 and my heart rate in the high 80s-98, which I do not like and feel this is causing me some minor impairment compared to other serious ones....as I feel my heart is racing when I do some work for a long period of time. I hope both BP and HR imrove with time.[I had to stop Coreg since Feb. 16, due to severe dizziness and fatigue though my dose was minimal (6.1/8 mg).

So, should I vote yes or no?!

NOTE: My cholesterol got much higher than anytime before my surgery!

I was going to mention mental health but I don't want Ross to think we're trying to pick at the polls (which we're not!). Maybe that could be another poll as things like depression, anxiety and other illnesses are linked to surgery. That and mental health is kind of a big interest for me as it's my field of work :rolleyes:

:)
Ross, you ask about physical impairement?

How about mental impairment? which is my case ....
So, should I vote yes or no?!

and not to mention, toting guns & holding up kitties & the Easter Bunny!!! :eek: :p :D

Smart Norma, OMG, what am I becoming...I used to be know as an extremely nice person..this is definitely another side effect and a new side of me---violence, as Bina said!!:D :D

hey ross,

not sure in my case, never known life without having had surgery, the SVTs were related to congenital extra pathways in my electrical system, but my other PVC issues, and scar tissue related pain in the right side of my chest, and sternal area I am sure is related to surgery, well, the sub aortic stenosis, supposedly developed after the first surgery, but I dont know, my heart is pretty weird, lots of preexisting issues, my ACHD cardio is calling a mild form of "shones syndrome" not a good source on this one, sorry

Brian is pacer dependent now.

He lost a kidney and his stomach artery is partially blocked. This was caused by the dissection they assume.

He also has chronic muscle pain in his back and legs that no one can figure out.

fatigue and twitiching,jerking muscles

fatigue and twitiching,jerking muscles

My main prob is disabling fatigue. I can only manage a couple of hours acivity, and then not every day. I get severe pulsation in my neck when "tired", altho "tired" doesnt begin to cover it! :(:( My thought processes slow down so that I cannot think or make decisions. I had a mechanical aortic valve put in, in 2002, but this is shown to create some obstruction during exercise. The medics call it "patient prosthesis mismatch". About 12 months after surgery in 2004, i began having jerks and twitches in my muscles. No doctor has been sure of the reason, but in my mind it is all part of the tiredness I experience, as it only seems to occur when I am particularly tired. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I have also got some probs with tricuspid and mitral valves. Not sure what the future holds for these.

I'm really beginning to not like this thread as it focuses too much on the negatives and might scare people! So, if you are a newbie reading this thread, remember that Ross asked only the people who said Yes to elaborate, although there are a few who said No who did as well. Most people who have valve replacement surgery go on to live a normal life, much better than what they had before surgery.

My surgery got me three things that I did not have before:

- Atrial Flutter (resulting in 3 cardioversions and 240 mg Sotalol daily)
- Complete Heart Block (got me a shiny new pacemaker!)
- A "messed-up" throat - I frequently inhale liquids. 8 days on the ventilator.

I'm really beginning to not like this thread as it focuses too much on the negatives and might scare people! So, if you are a newbie reading this thread, remember that Ross asked only the people who said Yes to elaborate, although there are a few who said No who did as well. Most people who have valve replacement surgery go on to live a normal life, much better than what they had before surgery.

Absolutely & well said. I had my 1st & 2nd OHS when I was 24 years old. I am 58 years old now & after my 2nd surgery, I lived a perfectly wonderful, active life for 31 years w/no problems whatsoever. I did not have any of the problems I have today until after my 3rd surgery in 2006!

So for all you newbies, please don't be put off or scared by this thread at all! Hopefully & most probably, you too will live a very long time after your OHS without any problems! :)

I am a month out of surgery today....So far, so good! I've always had my mental condition, LOL!!!

I'm really beginning to not like this thread as it focuses too much on the negatives and might scare people! So, if you are a newbie reading this thread, remember that Ross asked only the people who said Yes to elaborate...

OK - I'm a newbie and I am finding this thread scary. One thing to note though... a few of the people who posted had emergency surgery due to an aneurism dissecting, and that is a much more difficult surgery (so I'm told), with a greater likelihood of complications. So even though this is scary, I'm trying to put it all in perspective and use the risk of a dissection as motivation to get the surgery done soon. Now if a few more people will chime in with no complications, then we'll reach the 75% level, and I'll feel a bit more calm.

Red

If this is going to be a real poll, we've got to have the no as well as the yes votes, to get a sense of what proportion of respondents actually have related disabilities.

In my case, fortunately, it's probably a no. I seem to, for one reason or another, look at things a lot more literally than I may have before surgery and process language a bit more accurately than most people do (for example, if Obama is giving a really long answer, I can keep up with all the twists and turns of his logic, while others kind of cut out the middle and listen to the last 100 words).

I've probably lost the same kind of 'thing' in our psyche that others reportedly lose when our chests are opened up. I don't want to sound metaphysical -- I don't usually trust such mumbo jumbo -- but there's something that leaves us (psychologically, mentally, I'm not sure where it comes from, but it's part of our general personality) after OHS, and I'm pretty sure mine is also missing.

But, as far as a disability that I can directly blame on OHS or my Aortic valve replacement, I can't think of anything at this instant. (I still get auras, which I used to get before surgery, I get whiteouts that I never got presurgery (micro-emboli?) and I guess enough of them can feel disabling, PATs are less frequent than pre-op but still there.

Perhaps my biggest disability is my inability to find a good employer or good permanent job. (Of course, it's easier for a younger person who doesn't click to get a job -- they'll work for less money, and probably be less expensive to add to an employee health plan. I'm not alleging any kind of blatant discrimination, and I've had some jobs post-surgery for a few years each, but overall, it's been harder to stay at a job, and when on my own, to stay motivated to earn enough for all the expenses. I'm STILL trying to do my life's work)

Yeah, what Clipper Mark said....at least the last 100 words. Although I'm not familiar with "whiteouts". I have had periods post op when my migraines hit me a few times a day, fortunately, usually without any headache. I have experienced lightheadedness and when I am prone to it, I tend to also get more migraines. But the lightheadeddness seems to have diminished almost completely, especially since my lumbar surgery last month (go figure). I get a little bit of strange pectoral muscle stuff during weight lifting that focuses on my chest. I get some weird tightness near my "adams apple" sometimes, which I didn't get pre-op. I have no idea what this is and neither does my cardio. I'm also not as sharp mentally (and I wasn't exactly Einstein before). But this is all minor and hardly worth mentioning. Of course, it's only been 7 months and I suppose complications could develop any time, but I consider myself VERY fortunate. That said, it's clear to me that OHS and sternotomy are major big deals. I feel like a car that was in a crash. I can still do what I did before surgery but I can tell I'm not the same.

I have the elevated hemi-diaphragm thingy with Atelectasis or however you spell it...this is likely from my Pnuemothorax and then spending 5 days on the vent....so yeah...I am still SOB...

It doesnt really bother me but it gets mentioned everytime I have a scan. My memory is also shot and at 44 I refuse to write it off as an "old age" thing.

There is also no way I would go back to before the OP...I was not going to be a victim of Aortic Dissection so am eternally grateful for my life.

I'm voting yes

I'm voting yes

Due to numbness in my thigh from the cath, when I breathe deep it feels like my heart is going to leap from my chest, and now I get migraine aura's almost everyday. Also, lifetime anticoagulation.

OK - I'm a newbie and I am finding this thread scary. One thing to note though... a few of the people who posted had emergency surgery due to an aneurism dissecting, and that is a much more difficult surgery (so I'm told), with a greater likelihood of complications. So even though this is scary, I'm trying to put it all in perspective and use the risk of a dissection as motivation to get the surgery done soon. Now if a few more people will chime in with no complications, then we'll reach the 75% level, and I'll feel a bit more calm.

Red

Red you have two choices. Life and death (But not one minute before you pay your taxes!). Which choice are you happier with? If you don't have surgery, death is the sure ending. If you do have surgery, you may or may not have additional problems, but you'll at least have life. ;)

I said yes; after OHS I have moderate to severe aortic stenosis, just 6 months out from surgery this was found. Tissue (bovine) valve.

After two OHS, I had pretty bad A-fib. Finally had enough of it and had an A-V node ablation with a permanent pacemaker implanted. Then started with the big V...ventricular tachycardia. Now I have a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted. Pacemaker keeps the old ticker beating (I'm 99% dependent on it) and the defibrillator is there just in case my electrical system goes "haywire".:eek: LINDA

I voted no, because everything I'm experiencing--from taste-bud changes to mild goofiness--is probably transitory (based on previous experience). I had no lasting issues after my CABG, and feel like I should be knocking on wood at this point after the AVR.

Latest posts

Back