Lets try a poll again!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lets try a poll again!

• YES

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • NO

Votes: 50 72.5%

• Total voters

Ross

Since the other was so abruptly disrupted over a definition of comorbidity, lets try this again.

Please list what you have as physical impairment if you vote YES on this poll.

For me, it's Cardiomyopathy, Stroke, Renal insufficiency, Partially paralyzed diaphragm.

I'm grateful that despite two OHS in four years, the last being 13 months ago, I only suffer more fatigue and some soreness from time to time in my sternum, usually related to weather. I came through intact. I developed no new conditions other than harmless occular migraine without headache. Annoying at times but that is all.

I'm grateful that despite two OHS in four years, the last being 13 months ago, I only suffer more fatigue and some soreness from time to time in my sternum, usually related to weather. I came through intact. I developed no new conditions other than harmless occular migraine without headache. Annoying at times but that is all.

Big sneezes do me in - but only the really, realy big ones that you get about once every 6 years when you do "spring" cleaning
:D

I still have a sterum that has not fused together in part, awaiting an operation to have it re-wired,CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JANE

Chronic a-fib (after third OHS).
Chronic pericarditis (after second OHS).
CHF (corrected after first OHS, showed up again after third OHS).

I voted NO but who knows? I suppose like most of us I have a darned great scar down my front which is a direct result of the OHS but I am assuming you didn't mean that.

I had heart block and A fib both both have passed. Other 'problems', well I have no idea as to whether they were as a result of my stroke or my surgery or a combination of them both.

Basically I am fine, sometimes SOB but that could be anxiety.

What the heck, without it I would be dead anyway so what is a few niggles and a scar in comparison?

After 3rd OHS:

1.) CHF - kept under control w/high dosages of diuretics;

2.) Pulmonary Hypertension - kept in control w/meds

3.) Extensive pannus growth on mitral valve, deeming me inoperable according to surgeons

4.) Abnormal positioning of the diaphram;

In other words, I'm pretty screwed up but still grateful to be here!

Hi Ross,

A-Fib and A-Flutter for me.
Don't even want to get into all the other possible side effects the drugs I now have to take cause.

Rob

PAC's and PVC's that I never had before as well as possible A-fib. They are looking into that now. Still can't breathe worth a crap, but couldn't do that before surgery either! Other than the chest pain that I am assuming is coming from my sternum.

I'm not voting yet because I don't want to believe that the rhythm issues I have been left with are a "permanent" thing yet. I'll vote after I get back from my trip to the Mayo next month.

Kim

Not sure how to vote, an actual physical impairment directly related to OHS, no. But I did end up having the pericardial effusion which put me out of commission for a couple weeks.

Looking for more permanent types of impairments.

I voted no (again). As I said, I have recurrent pericarditis (fewer and farther between, thank the Lord) and frequent PACs, but both of those are "expected" complications of valve surgery, and neither impairs me in any way. My cardio and surgeon both warned me that irregular rhythms were the most common complaints after valve surgery. I think the mental issues are all mine and can't be blamed on surgery because I was a biatch long before!

Ross, you ask about physical impairement?

How about mental impairment? which is my case .... I have always felt at my best when my BP is 120/70 all my life until just before sugery it; yett the difference between diastolic and systolic pressures was the same; i.e. 110/60; 100/50; 90/45 the lowest before surgery. Now seven months after surgery my BP is 100/70 or 110/80-83 and my heart rate in the high 80s-98, which I do not like and feel this is causing me some minor impairment compared to other serious ones....as I feel my heart is racing when I do some work for a long period of time. I hope both BP and HR imrove with time.[I had to stop Coreg since Feb. 16, due to severe dizziness and fatigue though my dose was minimal (6.1/8 mg).

So, should I vote yes or no?!

NOTE: My cholesterol got much higher than anytime before my surgery!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back