Justin's surgery the 19th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynlw

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I almost titled this "here we go again" since even I have trouble wrapping my brain around the thought, I will be handing my 21 year old son over to have his chest opened for the 8th time, but it is what it is. We were pretty much pretty good at putting it to the back of our minds and enjoy the holidays ect. Luckily when we found out he'd need surgery in November we got everything pretty much ready to make the experience as good as possible, so didn't have to think as much about it until it was closer to surgery.

So yesterday was Justin's pre op visit testing, it was a rather long day, but it seems all the doctors involved have had a few discussions about Justin and his surgery so they are prepared for whatever they find.
(oh just to update incase anyone is wonderring what the heck I am talking about) Justin had a section of his pulmonary conduit replaced in June 05,(OOPS editted to say he had a section of the conduit (that he got in 05) replaced in 07 and the infection was after the 07 surgery) 10 days later he was readmitted with an infection in and under his sternum, so had surgery to clean out the infection, take out all the wires, except the very top 2 where there was no infection and then plastic surgery did a muscle flap, which involved moving his right pec muscle (because he is a lefty) and wrapping it around his sternum, to both, stablize it as it healed and since muscle has alot of red clood cells and oxygen, it helps the healing process.
Then he had 2 months of antibiotics and life was good (after he worked hard and got all the movement back in his right hand and arm because of the muscle flap)
Anyway in November he had a small spot at the top of his scar that looked bad and we took him to CHOP and after a long day it turned out the sternal infection is back and he needs another surgery (My post dissapeared and I had only saved to this part so the rest is much shorter now)

It took a while to schedual because the heart and plastic surgeon we wanted (Spray and Low) both had to be available to be in the OR the same time) as for surgery we don't know for sure how extensive it will be, they shoot blue dye in qnd everywhere it goes has to come out. everyone is hoping his conduit/valve is fine, but just incase they will have a valve and conduit there and Justin signed consent for that if needed) at a min we know sections of the sternum have to be removed and he needs another muscle flap, HOPEFULLY they will be able to use his right pec muscle again, but if not they will have to move his left, which will make recovery more difficult.
So our prayers are for a successful surgery, the infection to be as small as possible and they are able to use his right pec muscle
and as soon as possible, we are all home sitting on the couch with the dogs watching movies :)

Prayers for a successful surgery and recovery for Justin. I am so sorry you are all facing this again. Prayers for you and your family.

Lyn, I hope Justin has the best possible outcome in this scenario and that the infection has not spread very far at all. I'll be thinking of you as well, knowing that it will be just as tough, if not tougher, on you as his mother as it will be on him. Please keep us posted when you can.

Kim

My heart so goes out to you all. You have been through so much and to have to do this again seems so much to ask. But then we say, gratefully, the skill, knowledge and talent of the medical professionals give us our futures.

We will all be waiting with patience to hear Justin is safely out of the OR and on the road to recovery.

We've never met and probably never will but my arms ache to hug you, Lyn.
God Bless......

My prayers are with you and Justin. Gosh, you've both been through a lot. Wishing him a really smooth uneventful surgery.
Luana

We all feel are so fond of Justin. he's been with us for a long time now and we have seen him grow and suffer through with all of this. And so, because of our fondness for him, we want him as well as he can be. My prayers for him (and you, too) as you travel another road. GODSPEED, JUSTIN! one more time.

Thank you everyone. Justin had a good day, he thought the best way to spend this time was snowboarding :) He got home a little while ago and I think he will sleep VERY well tonight. Hopefully he can get back this weekend, since chances are that's it for this season.
He is handling this very well, sadly he is rather use to it and just wants to have surgery and get on with walking laps and gwtting home. HE is the strong one and really never complains, Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts, I can actually feel them when we are in the waiting room during surgery, it means alot.

Justin had a good day, he thought the best way to spend this time was snowboarding :)

LOL ... awesome!

But, dang, Lyn, sorry Justin has to endure this all again. Thoughts/prayers en route, of course.....

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's such a cold blow from out of the dark" ... Brooks and Dunn ... 'That Ain't No Way To Go'

Sending my best wishes & prayers to Justin for a successful surgery on the 19th.

He is always in my prayers.....I will say some extra for him & that all goes well.

Godspeed~

Latest posts

Back