How much is Ross' teeth and surgery going to cost?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much is Ross' teeth and surgery going to cost?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend had all his teeth removed in the hospital and they put his dentures in right then and there. That is suppose to cut down on swelling,bleeding and healing time. The impressions were made prior and the dentures never even had to be re fitted. It was amazing how well he did.

Chris I've thought about it, but with my underlying lung issues, I don't feel comfortable doing this in an office setting. Surgery and I don't get along as is and should something arise, I'd need to be in a fully equiped OR.

The prices aren't really much different except for the Dentures. Could save about $700 total on those, but the extractions would be about the same.

Were you able to wear your dentures right away? I'm being told to forget temporary's because my mouth will be to sore and swollen to wear them and that they cost just as much as the permanents to make, all to throw them away later. In other words, I'm going to be walking around with no teeth for 6 to 8 weeks. I'm not enjoying that idea at all. Guess what I want to know is, if you haven't any teeth, how or what were you able to eat without it being pretty much liquified?

Yes, I was able to wear them right away - the 'immediate denture really does cut down on the healing time. Not to say that it was a lot of fun but it didn't take all that much time for the discomfort to go away.

As far as eating - while I was in the hospital, I got pureed food - wasn't all that bad. At home before the teeth I ate soup - even Campbells Chunky worked just fine. Eggs, pancakes, grilled cheese - stuff like that. Oh, and don't forget soft fruit - like bananas, ripe peaches, canned pears (the fresh ones were too firm for me). Over-steamed veggies were ok too. And, of course, cake, ice cream, pudding, jello, - popsicles were fantastic! Took a while to actually finish a meal. Once I got the teeth one of the hardest things was lettuce - until the discomfort disappeared.

Whenever you get them, they'll probably give you a topical anesthetic (benzo-something) to help ease the discomfort.

Vanity (and my own sanity) kept me from waiting the 6-8 weeks. To be honest, there was no way I could go back to work with no teeth. This route worked the best for me.

Hope you're able to get this done soon

eating without teeth

eating without teeth

Ross
In addition to what Cris listed in foods to eat. I also use protein drinks. I add some whey protein and ice with a little cool whip and instant coffee and blend. You could use milk in the place of water but I don't do to well with milk.

If you tolerate milk you can do milkshakes. I also use fresh fruit with yogurt and blend that into a sort of smoothie.

I don't think you can use straws after teeth extraction for a while but I just drink it from the cup or eat with a spoon. At least my dentist doesn't want me to use straws because it can cause the clot that forms in the tooth socket to break off too early and cause a dry socket or something like that.:confused:

As you know I don't have any bottom teeth left in the back and use only one side right now because of the newly extracted teeth on the other side. My partial will take about two weeks but I won't be here when it comes in so I'm going to the mini southern reunion with half of my teeth missing and mostly on the bottom.:eek:

I do well with creamed potatoes as well.

Please keep us posted
Earline

I was figuring those types of foods. I don't want to be without teeth, but I'm not paying another $1300 for them. I'll be lucky to even be able to do this thing, so wasting money is not an option. I seldom leave the house except to maybe go out to lunch cause I hate cooking for one or going to the grocery store. The girls all laugh at me now, so having no teeth will just make them laugh harder.

Thanksgiving is going to stink though.

Ross, does that figure they have given you not include teeth? Or are you just looking for a way to make it less expensive?

Kim

My friend had all his teeth removed in the hospital and they put his dentures in right then and there. That is suppose to cut down on swelling,bleeding and healing time. The impressions were made prior and the dentures never even had to be re fitted. It was amazing how well he did.

had all uppers removed, they put the plate in right then, went home, little bleeding (you on warfarin will be another thing, tho), little pain, some swelling. Soon was eating soft foods and progressed from there. Had 4 lowers removed and a bridge put in soon as they were out. No sucking on a straw, tho - causes bleeding from pressure in the mouth.

You will do fine, Ross, barring problems caused by your delicate health.

Ross, does that figure they have given you not include teeth? Or are you just looking for a way to make it less expensive?

Kim

No temporarys where factored in. The price includes the extractions, alveoloplasty to upper and lower jaws and dentures. If I want temporary's add another $1300

Earlier this year when my hubby had a bunch of teeth extracted, he survived quite nicely on veggie soups, potatoes, yogurt, eggs, melted cheese, chili with rice, shepherd's pie, pudding, applesauce, bananas, etc. It wasn't too bad at all.

$1300 for temporarys...bugga...I remember when I did dental nursing.... one patient who was a sad case had all her teeth removed the dentist put temporarys in straight away because it helps stop the bleeding, swelling wasnt an issue immediately as that only came later and the temps were already inplace by then. At least she had useable teeth now, which was more than she had when she walked into the place.

I am still buying lotto tickets and praying hard for a solution for you.

I'm awake worrying whether or not the HMO will pay for hospitalization and thinking if they don't I can't get this done. Suddenly it dawned on my peabrain that if all else fails, I could use one of the same day dental clinics, though I'm wondering if that would incur more or less expense. I'm assuming less, but haven't checked into it since tying up all my money on this Low Income/Dental School thing.

Just talking to a friend at another forum that is a dentist and he's advising go for same day dentures, not to settle for waiting 3 or 4 months for them. Makes sense to me, but man, that's more money and it's already hard enough to get there.

Ross,

I do not mind the questions, in fact I am all to happy to offer suggestions. You can call me at work tomorrow, if you like. xxx-xxx-xxxx... ask for Dr. Orlans. sometime after 8am EST.

I come from this from a different perspective. Implants are the way to go, but they are pricey. Left with your offered alternatives. Have the immediate.

That was nice of him to offer his professional opinion...be sure you call and have a good chat to him....maybe write your questions down and tick them off as you go...

Good Luck buddy.

same day is good, maybe cheaper, too. we had a dentist here who did that and lots of people had it done that way and lots cheaper. Guess mine was done that way, too, but it was my choice. not a same day dental service, just my regular dentist. It's not a bad 'surgery' at all. you won't suffer; yours is the infection part that is iffy.

I'm going to take this proposal and edit out the prices, then see if a couple of the same day denture places around here will quote me on whats on it.

Ross, as I sit here typing this to my tooth is 'throbbing' due to an infection I had on the root in 2005....yes its still there. Its a front tooth and a hole appeared in the gum just above the tooth, where the infected ''stuff'' comes out about twice a week. When I went to the dentist about a year ago, he said ''ah thats fine, its draining out''. The hospital wont do anything about it and I cant afford to have it treated by the dentist. A root filling costs about 800euro.

Wishing you luck with your problem...(((HUGS))))

Ross, as I sit here typing this to my tooth is 'throbbing' due to an infection I had on the root in 2005....yes its still there. Its a front tooth and a hole appeared in the gum just above the tooth, where the infected ''stuff'' comes out about twice a week. When I went to the dentist about a year ago, he said ''ah thats fine, its draining out''. The hospital wont do anything about it and I cant afford to have it treated by the dentist. A root filling costs about 800euro.

Wishing you luck with your problem...(((HUGS))))

I had one like that and told the Dentist forget the $700 root canal, pull the darn thing. Cost me $120 and no more problem, but that is the only tooth I have missing. What I have now are 4 impacted wisdom teeth, 8 broken off or only paritally there teeth and 19 that can actually be pulled. :(

If it wasnt a front tooth I would get it pulled....but....I suppose if I have to I will....just not ready to give up my front teeth yet.

Keeping you in my prayers that you get a break somehow. x

Well the HMO just called and is denying payment for Mercy, that I can have it done at their facility. I explained that the reason I need it at Mercy is that I've negotiated a price with a discount that I cannot get from the oral surgeons on staff at Aultman. It would cost $8 or $9000 for one of their surgeons to do it and I've got the negotiated price at $5565 at Mercy. I begged pleaded and even cried a bit to have them cover this. They are rediscussing the issue and will call me back soon. Told them that as is, it's nearly bankrupting us and I could not do it at all if I have to stay in Network.

Ross - Haven't been on lately and just read the mess you are in. My mended heart goes out to you. Life just can't go by you without some poo poo dumping on you. I am praying for you and will help in any way I can. Good things have got to come your way!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back