Hi! I'm a Newbie

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Heather24

Hi All,
I've been reading this site for quite sometime and thought I should finally introduce myself. My name is Heather. I'm 32 and having mitral valve repair surgery November 12, 2009 at the Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Joseph Sabik. I just wanted to say thank you for all the resources on this site and for all of your posts. They have been very helpful to me as I prepare for surgery and recovery.

Now that surgery is under 2 weeks away, my anxiety has definitely risen. I know it will be here and over with before I know it, but the wait has been very difficult.

Well, thank you all again for your words of wisdom.

Take care,
Heather

Hi All,
I've been reading this site for quite sometime and thought I should finally introduce myself. My name is Heather. I'm 32 and having mitral valve repair surgery November 12, 2009 at the Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Joseph Sabik. I just wanted to say thank you for all the resources on this site and for all of your posts. They have been very helpful to me as I prepare for surgery and recovery.

Now that surgery is under 2 weeks away, my anxiety has definitely risen. I know it will be here and over with before I know it, but the wait has been very difficult.

Well, thank you all again for your words of wisdom.

Take care,
Heather

Hi, Heather,

I'm happy that you've made your presence on the site known, and I did add you to our surgical calendar. You're having your surgery at a great facility so that should lessen some of your stress.
We're here if you have any questions or just want to vent.:)
Mary

You will find that it will go more quickly than you think, and will hurt less than you believe it does.

The most difficult part is the waiting. I would suggest you visit a place that has always given you peace, and go there to enjoy it, if you possibly can. You will find that you see it now with new eyes. It will help you to be more calm and accepting of what you must pass through.

The other blessing that usually happens is that once you enter the hospital, you can finally relax, and let others be in charge of taking care of you for a change.

Best wishes,

Hi Heather, welcome to the forum. Im just over 2 weeks post op, and i can tell you waiting was the worst part. You will find that it will be here before you know it. If you have any questions...feel free to ask. Good luck.

Hi Heather,
You are definitely at the "go to" hospital. I am actually taking my son there for a 2nd opinion (actually more like a 4th opinion) and we will be there the week of the 9th. I'd stop by and visit but we are leaving on the 13th and I doubt you will be in any shape for visitors on the 12th.

good luck, please keep us posted.

Hi Heather...
Yep I agree with Bob, the wait is the worst part..
Glad you found us..ask away there is a lot of wisdom on these boards..

hi heather i am 8 days post op mv repair and the waiting counting down the days was hard but its came and gone and it will for you to as everyone says the waiting is the worst part.

hi heather,
welcome! this is a great place for information, support and just plain old hand-holding, as you already know.
i know that the cleveland clinic used to give out pre-surgical packets and included in those were cds of guided imagery for relaxation. you might want to inquire about those. they helped joey and myself really calm down and relax pre-surgery while we waited (especially the weeks before when i couldn't sleep, i would use them in the middle of the night to help me relax and rest).
diane tusek has a very soothing voice. you can check them out at:
http://www.guidedimageryinc.com/
the wait right before surgery truly is one of the worst parts of this experience
hope this helps.
stay well,
sylvia

Hello All,
Thank you for your well wishes. I appreciate it so much. I'm glad to hear that the waiting is the hardest part. It's been on our minds for a long time. It will be so nice to have it behind us.

Thank you all.

~Heather

Hi Heather,

Welcome the the forum!

I myself experienced extreme anxiety, just before my surgery. It is perfectly normal! It will be behind you very soon, so just hang in there. Any time you need to post, please don't hesitate. We are all here to support you!

Welcome Heather. Glad to have you with us. During the time you are waiting, a million questions or fears will come to mind and this is a wonderful place to come get answers and talk with all of us what have been through it. It really helps create more peace of mind for you.

Midge

Welcome to the forum, Heather!

Waiting is hard. One thing that helped me was to plan something to look forward to at 3 months, 6 months, just to set my mental horizon beyond surgery day. My pre-op appointment helped, too, because it became pretty clear that all I had to do (could do) was show up and do what they told me for a while...

Hi Heather,

I can only echo what others have said about waiting being the hardest part. I had surgery in July at CC and I can assure you that you will be well taken care of and on your way to enjoying life again very soon. God bless.

Latest posts

Back