Here I am... scared again...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praline

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have had Atial Flutter for over a month now. I will be having an ablation either a week from today , October 20, or the following Wednesday, October 27. I should find out tomorrow exactly when.
Some of you should remember how scared I was before my OHS.:) I was so scared that it was scary to be that scared. But I made it... and you all saved my sanity!!! you really did.
Well I am not that scared about this ablation BUT I get the "willies" just thinking about it.

Oh rats - I'm so sorry you're going through this. Intellectually, I'm sure you realize that this should be an easier procedure, but the mind just doesn't behave that way. I'll keep you in my prayers and hope that you get peace. Don't forget to ask for some pre-surgery medication if you think it will help.

Praline, I've had 3 ablations and they are a walk in the park compared to OHS. Nothing to be scared of. You'll be stiff from having to lie still for so long, but, once again, nothing compared to heart surgery. Once your couple of hours of lying flat on your back are up, you'll be good to be up and and around. By the next day, you'll be a little sore in your groin area, but you'll pretty much be back to doing whatever you normally do but lifting heavy things.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. I had two last year, so my experience is pretty recent.

Kim

I've read a lot about ablation and it sounds on the same uncomfortability level as a TEE plus catheterization. It doesn't sound fun but I heard the success rate for atrial flutter is worth it. Now if only it was as successful in PVCs and I'd put myself through it. Rhythm problems are so aggravating, good luck to you. Oh and if you haven't had a groin incision I have a 2" long one, my thigh is still numb but it never hurt and healed faster than my sternum incision.

. Don't forget to ask for some pre-surgery medication if you think it will help.[/QUOTE said:
Chris,
I am not sure what you mean by pre-surgery meds but if you are talking about meds now until surgery... No I don't think so.I did not have anything before my OHS. I react so strangely to meds in general I am scared of them.
Last winter I had a really bad congestion,cough,cough,cough,...my ribs were hurting but not coughing up anything. Well on the advice of my well meaning friends, I took some Musinex. The next day I was in bed with diarrhia,and throwing up. I was sick for 3 days! The doctor thought it was a reaction to the Musinex. I don't ever remember having a stomach flu.
So. no meds unless I really NEED them.

Praline, I had my first ablation last year without meds other than the numbing medication they used to numb up my groin (they may also use your neck or your wrists) to make the "holes" (NOT the "2 inch incision" Michelle seems to think comes with an ablation). I was in there for around 8 hours. While I can tell you it was not a fun experience, it can be done. The worst part of it for me was my back started spasming. They do put in a foley, so you don't have to worry about peeing while you are in there. Finally, around hour 7 or so, I just couldn't take it anymore and they finally agreed and gave me some pain meds. Depending on where the rhythm issue is being originated, a lot of drugs they use suppress them, so they don't like to use them anyway. I do know others, however, who have been totally knocked out for theirs. So, I would talk to your EP beforehand about your preferences because it can be done both ways.

Thank you Kim. It is reassuring to hear from someone who had one to have it called " a walk in the park". That is what the electrophysiologist said also. He said it was nothing like what I went through for OHS. I am not really worried about the pain, or having to lay down for a few hours. The thought of someone"messing " with my heart is what gives me the "willies".
When I told my brother about this ablation and what was involved he said," Ooh, That's neat!" I said," Yea, because it is my heart and not yours". I wanted to throw something at him but from here to Massachusetts is too far away. lol

Oh no, my two inch incision came with an attempt to repair my valve subcutaneously. I was just stating that my 2" incision didn't bother me the slightest.

So sorry to hear this, Praline.

I hate medication too, but I hate more the effect of prolonged stress on my body and on my mind when I am limited with time and cannot exercise or medidate or ??. I take only 1/8 mg of xanax in such situations to help rebalance my body.

Just to share what I read about Cortisol, the hormone that is secreted during tension...the more sensitive the person, the more Cortisol is secreted.

While cortisol is an important and helpful part of the body’s response to stress, it’s important that the body’s relaxation response to be activated so the body’s functions can return to normal following a stressful event. Unfortunately, in our current high-stress culture, the body’s stress response is activated so often that the body doesn’t always have a chance to return to normal, resulting in a state of chronic stress.

Higher and more prolonged levels of cortisol in the bloodstream (like those associated with chronic stress) have been shown to have negative effects, such as:

•Impaired cognitive performance
•Suppressed thyroid function
•Blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
•Decreased bone density
Unquote

Here is the whole article: http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

Will be thinking of you. Good luck.

Oh no, my two inch incision came with an attempt to repair my valve subcutaneously. I was just stating that my 2" incision didn't bother me the slightest.

I've never heard of that before, what kind of subcutaneous valve repair were they trying to do?

Praline, I also don't mean to imply that you will be in there any where nearly as long as I was either. I have a terrifically stubborn heart that has been messed with way too many times so my case was more complicated than most. Just don't want to scare you with that because it isn't going to apply to you!

I've never heard of that before, what kind of subcutaneous valve repair were they trying to do?

They just put an annuloplasty ring on, and I will have to look through my records for what they were attempting. I wanted robotic repair and after my surgery I assumed that is what they were trying to do with that groin incision but I'll find my papers to tell you what it said. But it seems they were going to try to put the ring on through that incision.

They just put an annuloplasty ring on, and I will have to look through my records for what they were attempting. I wanted robotic repair and after my surgery I assumed that is what they were trying to do with that groin incision but I'll find my papers to tell you what it said. But it seems they were going to try to put the ring on through that incision.

I could be wrong, but my guess would be they tried to use it for the heart/lung machine, since it was going to be a Robotic repair

I checked, it's unclear what their plans were, I'll ask my husband tomorrow. All I know is that it was smaller than expected so I had a normal repair. Sorry for the confusion, I'm living proof of pump-head.

Praline,

To prevent intense Back Discomfort from laying flat, I always ask the technicians to fold a towel lengthwise a couple of times and pull it through under the Small of my back. I also ask for a pillow to be put under my knees. NO MORE BACK PAIN !

Praline,

I know exactly what you are going through. I am scheduled to have an ablation for A-fib/flutter on the 26th and I am beginning to freak out. Logically I know this is nothing compared to the 2 open heart surgeries I have had but it scares the heck out of me for them to be doing anything with my heart, especially since it has become so temperamental! Best wishes to you through this and I hope they "zap" all your problems away!

You are in my prayers Praline! Pray that your procedure goes smooth so that you can start feeling much better soon!

And I too would ask to have a small pillow in lower back & underneath the knees to help alleviate back stress & discomfort!

Be thinking of you.....

Latest posts

Back