Going in Dec 29th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerdad

I'll be headed into surgery for aortic valve replacement on Tues. Dec 29th. Dr. McGiffin (UAB / Kirklin Clinic) will be performing the surgery. He'll be putting in a St. Jude. I'm ready to go and am looking forward to feeling better and getting back to the things I used to do.

I'll try to post as I can.

Good luck Soccerdad!

My little boy has a St. Jude's in the mitral position. So far...so good for that one. Best wishes for a terrific outcome.

Sometimes statistics are not very comforting but in this case, however, your are look at surgery with a success rate of better than 99% for someone of your age and general health. It should be down hill now. Recovery has its issues but you will see such rapid progress that those fade quickly. SD, enjoy your holiday.

SoccerDad,

Best wishes for your surgery. It will be a little tough but as someone told me, every day will get better. And they were right. Just imagine that now, with your new valve, you will be able to keep up with all those kids on the soccer field by this spring! Related to that I highly recommend cardiac rehab to help you start exercising and feeling better.
John

Good luck, Soccer Dad! Tell those nurses to keep it down when they have their New Year's Eve party outside your door. ;) 2010 will start a bit slow for you, but it will definitely get better every day.

Michele

These next 8 days waiting are not so much fun, but it will get better the closer you get to the big day. Once you wake up and start walking around, you'll wonder why you were so nervous in the first place. It won't be as bad as you think.

Good luck with your surgery...

Have a friend who is also having an AVR done with Dr. McGiffin at UAB. I researched him after asking about him here, and all I found were great things! Wishing you well!

Mileena

Good luck Soccerdad, had my AVR and single-bypass 5 weeks ago tomorrow...doing well.
So, don't worry, it's like, what the hell happened, it's 5 weeks already. So, have a merry Christmas, relax, and don't think to much about it, your ready. Oh.....have a few cold ones, because life style takes a bit of a change after surgery.
Looking forward to hearing from you in Post-op.

Later,

Mac

Good luck soccerdad. I had my AVR on Dec 4th and I feel pretty good today. Just put your faith in God and your surgeons and stay positive.

I coach all 3 of my kid's soccer teams and I plan on being out on the pitch with them asap. I came out of the hospital on Dec 12th and my older daughter was playing in a College Showcase. It killed me not to go but I knew the right thing to do was to go home and rest. I got to watch my younger daughter play in an indoor game last night. I didn't coach but I am healthy enough to watch.

Latest posts

Back