General feeling of being unwell 9mths post op and Doc says all is fine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Reardon

Hi I was just wondering if anyone else feels like you are just not yourself.A generall feeling of being unwell also stomach feeling bloated and just plain not myself,thought once the op was done life would go back to normal again.Seems I was mistaken.Anyway if any of you out their feel the same please let me know.
Kind Regards
Paul:frown2:

Paul - I'm still waiting for my March 1 surgery, but I can admit that I have been experiencing some abdominal bloating for the past year or so. My internist traced it to a gallbladder problem - not a full blown "attack" but caused by excess stomach acid irritating it. He prescribed Prilosec, which reduced the acid and reduced the bloat.

I don't remember feeling unwell but I do know there was a day (can't remember which day) that it dawned on me that I felt great and at that point I really considerer myself recovered ... I can tell you that day was somewhere around the 13 month mark ... it takes time and everyone is different ... if this is worrying you, get it checked out....

I feel pretty well and I'm almost at 6 months, but I still feel anxious and sometimes blue. My stomach isn't back to normal but I have tried taking probiotic supplements from GNC and just taking one will make my stomach feel normal for about three days afterwards, it does give heartburn so if you try it take a pepto bismol shortly afterwards. Maybe you should get some blood work done to see if you have anything out of whack.

After my 3rd, I had an unwell feeling for almost a year! In fact, I went back to work 3 months after the surgery but I just couldn't hack it. I finally had to resort to an early, medical retirement which is probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

This is NOT to say that you will be heading down this path....it's just that all of us heal differently. And that bloated feeling that you have, do you show signs of edema (swelling) anywhere in your body....ankles, hands, legs, etc.? Sometimes it may indicate fluid retention in your mid-section so keep an eye on that. Try to weigh yourself, unclothed, every morning and if you start seeing an increase in your body weight, you may need to mention this to your doctor or surgeon!

Good luck to you and hang in there. You may just be a sloooow healer!

Paul,
Sadly, yes, I have felt the same and was going to post this myself recently. Many life limiting factors have had me curb what I am now able to do on a regular basis. I hate to complain, but the abdominal issue you mentioned, plus banging headaches in the back of my head, arthritis of the neck and spine, and now, just the overall unwell feeling. Hopefully, this too shall pass.

Thanks everyone for the replies.Suppose should just be gratefull to be alive.31 Old Main Rd, Hillcrest 3610, South Africa
staticmap

yep.....had one last week, dont know what brought it on but it mightve been some kind of flu/cold thing going around. Anyway, MAJOR bloating, called doc, got in the next week and he switched diuretics for me and 4 days later was normal and non bloated again......I couldnt breath very well either, I suspect that was from the CHF and water retention.
Apparently, the Lasix just quit working for me..... He said that can happen and ALSO told me to quit taking Advil as that will cancel out the diuretic and you'll swell up again....so he prescribed me some tylenol with codeine, havent taken any yet but have it if I need a little pain relief these days.

Thanks for posting this. I am coming up on 6 months on the 27th. I don't have any stomach issues, but I just don't feel right. I am trying to keep optimistic, but there are days where it is hard. My problem is mainly stamina issues. I just hit the wall sometimes. Last week, I put on hold my workouts for 2 - 4 weeks. I figured I should give my body some more time to heal. This week, I cut way down on coffee (now there is sacrifice). I figured I would be 100% by now.

Scott

Hmmm Interesting posting!

I am now 7 weeks Post-Op, just a baby compared to many on this posting. I have resumed stationary biking (light for 15 min) and stretching, starting to do a lot more around the house and getting ready to head back into work. My mid section feels huge and my pants simply don’t fit me very well any more. I feel like I am eating like a hog, but my wife assures me that I am not eating like I used to. I was a vegetarian before surgery, surgeon told me to park that diet for a while and get some balance, so I started eating more meat and fish. The result…..I’m down 10 lbs from pre surgery. Lighter on the scale, but bigger in the gut?

I’m down to 75 mg of Metoprolol and baby aspirin a day heading for the 37mg of Toporol I was on before surgery. Now in the past, Metoprolol has had the affect of making me lethargic and lazy, low on energy, but not bloated. My memory and mental sharpness started returning about 2 weeks after stopping the pain meds but still not anywhere near 100%.

Overall, my stamina is down to like 1/2 so around 1pm I hit the wall pretty hard energy wise. Anyway, I am very interested in this mid section bloating thing as along with the incision area discomfort, back, neck, shoulder and arm pain, are the remnants of OHS.

Its getting better every day and I am holding out hope that cardiac rehab will help the body aches as well. I’m really kind of reluctant to undertake much more than stationary biking and walking until I get to Cardiac Rehab.

It took me a long time to feel really well again, too, although I didn't have any of the abdominal issues you mention. I think it depends on how extensive your surgery was, and how quickly you heal. I felt pretty good for a long time, but not really good. I'm 16 months out now, and I feel really great!

Others have said it; we all heal in different ways and with different time tables. My stomach was not good for a very long time. I attributed it to all the medicines they ran through me during and post surgery. I think I ended up on some Prilosec type medicine for several months which helped tremendously.

If one thing is slow to return to normal, it can certainly affect your overall feeling of well-being. We really, really have to be patient with ourselves and allow our recovery to take as long as it's going to take. I mean, why fight it? Sometimes just accepting the fact that it is taking longer than we'd hoped can lift that burden of worry and aid in the healing.

Obviously, check with your doctor(s) about anything that feels truly off. And come here to complain and whine and ask as often as you like!! We know what you are going through. It's something everyone has felt -- that uncertainty -- whether at 2 months 7 months or 16 months!!

Hang in there!

Marguerite

Hi Paul,

I agree with some of the others comments. I am 5 months post-op, and still not myself. I still have not regained the weight I lost, and my short term memory is still not right, and I also have some other minor issues. Put them all together, and No, I really am not fully recovered at this time.

I would also like to suggest to you that you see your post-operative care doctor, and discuss how you are feeling. Most importantly, make sure that you review "all" the post-op medications that you are taking, including those that are not prescription medications. I think it is important for the doctors to review, and in many cases, revise the regiment of medications that you take post-op. They, (the hospital doctors/surgeons), do give you meds right after surgery that are "not" all meant to be long term maintenance medications. Again, this should be done with your post-op care doctor, "NOT" your surgeon (IMHO). The surgeons are happy once they review their work, check for leaks, and then sign off that it is completed successfully.

Wishing you good health,
Rob

I've been gone two weeks, so this is really late, Dale.

But I'll still point out that holding fluid in the chest and abdomen is called ascites. You should have that checked out, to be sure that's not the problem. Fluid retention doesn't always show in the legs and ankles.

Best wishes,

Post Op drugs have been mentioned by a couple of posters but I see nothing to indicate the only drug in your profile

Ecotrin

Brand Name: Acetylsalicylic Acid, Acuprin, Bayer, Bufferin, Empirin

What is it?
Ecotrin is in the category of drugs referred to as salicylates. These types of drugs are used to relieve pain and in order to reduce a fever. They are also used to treat minor arthritis pain. In some cases, it is used to lessen a chance of a heart attack, stroke and other blood vessel related issues and ailments.

How to take it?
Ecotrin can be prescribed by your doctor based on a condition, however, some types of salicylates are available without a prescription, and can be bought over the counter. It comes in five forms: tablets, capsules, extended-release tablets, extended-release capsules, and chew tabs. Tablets and capsules should be taken with a full glass of water. Extended release tablets and capsules must be swallowed whole. Chew tabs can be chewed, crushed, or mixed with a drink or food. If you have a sensitive stomach then you should take with food or milk. This medication should be taken according to the recommended dosage and not more.

Warnings and Precautions
If you are going to take this medication, your doctor needs to know if you have a history of heart, liver or kidney disease, stomach problems, gout, high blood pressure or anemia.

There are some drugs that can possibly interact with this medication. If you are taking acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen, tenoxican, ketorolac, elodolac and dicolfenac, you need to advise your doctor.

If you are taking this medication for pain and that pain lasts more than ten days then you need to see your doctor. If you are taking this medication for a fever you should also pay special attention to how long the fever lasts, and if it returns them you should seek medical attention.

You should avoid alcohol while taking this medication, as it can cause further damage to your stomach. If you smoke, this can also have an adverse affect on how this medication works, so be sure to tell your doctor if you do.

If you are going to have surgery, you should check with your doctor before taking. These types of drugs can interfere with the body’s ability to stop bleeding, and this could present a problem during and after surgery. You may be told that you can not take Ecotrin for up to a week or two after you have had surgery.

What should you do if you miss a dose?
If you are taking Ecotrin on just a needed basis, then missing a dose is not really an issue. You can take it as soon as you remember. If you are taking it to treat a certain condition, like arthritis, then take the missed dose as soon as your remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, take that dose only. Do not take any extra doses. This may be an over the counter medication, but it still can have negative side effects if not taken properly.

What are the side effects?
There are some side effects that this medication can bring on. Some of the common side effects include: diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, and stomach gas. There are some side effects that are more severe and require immediate attention, these include confusion, difficulty breathing, unusual bleeding, redness, blistering, vomiting blood and skin rashes. If you are taking the prescription version, you should never stop taking the medication without first checking with your doctor.

How to store this medication?
This medication should be stored at room temperature, and away from excessive heat and moisture. Keep all medications away from children. You should never use any medication after its expiration date.

What does it look like?
Ecotrin is available over-the-counter or with a prescription. It comes in five forms: tablets, capsules, extended release tablets and capsules and chew tabs. It also comes in a range of doses. Your doctor will be able to prescribe the correct dosage for you if you are taking the prescription version of the medication. The doses for non-prescription usually range from 50mg to 100mg.

What if you overdose?
If you by chance take more than the recommended amount of this drug and overdose, contact poison control center immediately; along with your doctor.

Latest posts

Back