Extra flexible spending account money in 2010. What can I spend it on - quick!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXWildflower

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all. I have been lurking around VR for well over a year now, mostly lin Cooker's Throwdown - trying to shed some pounds for the 'one day' surgery. If anyone else finds themselves looking to lose some weight or just keep it under control - come and join us on the throwdown. It is a great bunch of supportive folks who have helped me immensely. Check it out!

OK - enough plug for the Throwdown. My one day is almost here now - AVR surgery scheduled for 2/2/10. My real question is this. I find myself with some extra money left in my Flexible Spending account for 2010 and we all know that if you don't spend it you lose it. Can anyone think of over the counter type items I might need post surgery that I could buy in 2010 to get reimbursed. I called my surgeon's nurse and she didn't really have anything specific. She said I wouldn't even need any dressings - which kind of surprised me. I would like to purchase whatever is recommended to help my scar heal nicely - but not sure if that is prescription or OTC - nor have I researched the forum yet for what that product might be.

Anyway, if you have any ideas - I'd sure appreciate hearing them. No doubt you will see me around more as I try to further educate myself prior to surgery. I know one thing - I"m sure glad I found this site! Y'all are great!

I'm not sure but I have 400+ dollars I need to spend in the next couple of days.

Do you wear glasses? If you do - now might be a good time for a new pair I wear glasses and that is one thing I plan to purchase this week - but I'll still have some money left over. Can always buy extra allergy medications and ibuprofen, etc. But if there was something that I might need post surgery, that would take precedence. I really misjudged what I'd need this year - but partially because some routine meds I take went generic early in the year, which under my plan is at no extra cost to me, Good new/Bad news.

Justa reminder of the prep the home sticky and also most hospital washrooms have a raised toilet that is 3-4 inches higher than the average home fixture .....when I first came home the hospital arranged for a walker (gave me confidence walking alone) a wheel chair for longrer trips shopping eg at Costco and a raised toilet seat for three months psot op we added a grab bar just outside of the shower

A Vibrating Disk Massager is a good thing to have around post-surgery.

Also a Recliner to sleep / nap in if you can convince your insurance provider that it is medically necessary.

I have a vague recollection that getting glasses after surgery was NOT recommended for about 6 months. It wouldn't hurt to ask your optholmolgist if pre-surgery glasses might need to be changed afterwards.

You might want to stock up on your maintainance drugs (which may be changed by your surgeon and changed back by your cardio.... or not...)

Rhena:

Use some of your money left in your 2010 Flex plan for things like OTC pain meds like Tylenol, Alleve, etc., and the PM versions. You won't be able to use it for those items in 2011, due to changes.
You will probably be needing some of those post-op. Check the expiration dates and get the ones farthest out.

I have about $70 left in my 2010 Flex account, and I'm going to use some for OTC pain meds.

Don't bother with a walker, they are not good for the sternum or posture.
What I would have liked is the little rubber footed plastic stool to place in a shower stall.
And the raised toilet seat would be nice.

Al
I have a vague recollection that getting glasses after surgery was NOT recommended for about 6 months
you are correct about not getting new glasses to soon after surgery. I was advised a minimum of 3 months post surgery before getting your eyes tested for new glasses in the surgery info pack from the hospital.

A Vibrating Disk Massager is a good thing to have around post-surgery.

Also a Recliner to sleep / nap in if you can convince your insurance provider that it is medically necessary.

I have a vague recollection that getting glasses after surgery was NOT recommended for about 6 months. It wouldn't hurt to ask your optholmolgist if pre-surgery glasses might need to be changed afterwards.

You might want to stock up on your maintainance drugs (which may be changed by your surgeon and changed back by your cardio.... or not...)

Thanks for the advice one and all - keep them coming if you can think of anything and I will check the stickies mentioned. I have an electrical recliner I've been able to borrow and I think I will be happy for that. I didn't realize that about glasses. Thanks for that tip - I might be wasting my money to get them now, rats! I am really i need of new ones. Ill check with my surgeon.

I wonder why the concern about glasses? Does your eyesight actually change? Although I could swear that even now, pre-surgery, my eyesight gets really fuzzy or light sensitive from time to time. Was wondering if that was in all related to my AV. Anyway, I digress.

Good ideas Marsha on stocking up on otc pain meds.

Rhena,

I have the same flex situation. Consider getting a good blood pressure cuff. I'm going to upgrade mine.

A few thoughts: Before I had my OHS, I had all my teeth repaired. If you have enough to make sure your dental situation is good, perhaps this area is one you can look at.

Also - if you're getting a mechanical valve, perhaps the insurance can spring for an INR meter and/or strips. I realize that some doctors don't like home testing, and many say you shouldn't consider it for weeks (or months) after surgery - but if you can get the meter or supplies now, while you still have money to spend, you will be ready for WHEN that day comes. (Also, while you're recovering from surgery, and you're trying to find the right dosage of warfarin, it will probably be helpful for you and the medical team to get more frequent INRs than a weekly blood draw. It will also be less stressful to be able to test at home than it would be to get in the car, drive to the lab, endure a blood draw and wait for results).

heart rate monitor watch?

heart rate monitor watch?

Can you get your doctor to suggest a heart rate monitor watch? It sounds like lots of people here have trouble with a sometimes uneven heart rate for a few months after surgery. Could you use that as an angle? You can certainly use it to help monitor your heartrate when you exercise--at first to make sure you don't over-do and later to make sure you do enough. I have one and I find it useful. If I set the alarms to ring when I go into /above my aerobic zone, it will also beep when I have an arrythmia of some sort. (Turn this feature off when driving, it's very distracting on a bad day.)

There's a popular scar-minimizing cream that many people recommend for the incision. I forget the name, and I've got no idea if it costs big bucks or not. I wish I had a better pulse-rate monitor and a working stethoscope, since I've been finding my HR hard to monitor. (OTOH, I'm SHOCKED at how impressive my new Chinese "junk store" $20 BP/HR CUFF is!!)

I think the cream/ointment that your thinking of normofthenorth is called Bio-Oil. Orange looking stuff - it worked for me. About $15.00CDN but not really sure nor can I remember.

Last edited:
some people use Mederma scar cream...I didn't use any.
I really appreciated having a BP cuff, got it the first night at home.
Didn't need a steth since my heart rate was distinct no matter what.

Latest posts

Back