David is over the mountain!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidswife

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that David had his surgery yesterday and we are really happy that the surgeon was able to use the On-X valve along with a separate graft to repair his aorta.

Unfortunately the surgeon had to open him up again while he was still in the OR because he would not stop bleeding. They couldn't find anything so they closed him up again but he continued to bleed in the ICU and there was a time when they thought they might have to bring him back in and open him up again. It was very scary but the nurses were great and answered all of my many questions and made me feel as at ease as possible. Thankfully I had my sister with me the whole time for support. Fortunately David did respond to the blood products that they gave him (including 8 pints of blood, platelets and clotting factor) and the bleeding finally slowed to a trickle and they did not have to go in again. When I left the hospital last night at 9:30pm (after getting there at 5:30am) his chest x-ray showed no bleeding and all of his labs were good. They took him off of the ventilator at 6am this morning and he was drinking and eating today and he looked pretty good. He even visited with our three daughters for a while and they felt much better seeing him today (I didn't let them see him yesterday when he was still intubated and totally out of it). The only issue we are dealing with now is that he may need a permanent pacemaker but they are waiting until Thursday to make a decision. He is still in the ICU. They may move him out tomorrow or keep him there until Thursday. David said that he does not have a lot of pain, just a lot of discomfort. And he got his heart pillow (which our three daughters signed already :))!

Thanks again to everyone for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers! I will try to post daily on his progress.

Nadine (and David)

Thank-you for the update on David.Continued prayers for
you both into Davids recovery and Nadine be sure your
getting rest it is a tiring time on spouses ....God BLESS

So glad to read the good news Nadine! I hope that your husband continues to do well & we'll be looking for the updates when you're able.

You need to get yourself some rest now! The worst is over, so relax! :)

Great Report Nadine! It sounds like everyone in the family is pleased with the outcome which is good.

I'm glad that David was able to receive the Valve of his choice and that his Surgeon was able to navigate him over the 'bumps in the road to recovery'.

A few bumps are fairly common and difficult to predict.
That's why it's always wise to use an Experienced Surgeon who has 'been around the block' many times and 'seen it all'.

Be sure to get some rest for YOU whenever you can because you will be pretty busy for the next couple of weeks.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks for posting..wishing a speedy recovery and rest for you and your family....Godspeed...
Linda

Nadine --

Glad to hear David is through the worst. I can relate to the "not a lot of pain, just a lot of discomfort"! Sounds like he is doing great overall. I had some bleeding, as well, but they do amazing things to get that under control.

And I still use my heart pillow. Some of the signatures are even wearing off!

Hang in there. Thinkin' of y'all in Michigan.

Not many people have surgery bump free. That's pretty standard. Glad to hear he's now on the mend and eating. He'll be home before you know it.

Great news! It's good to hear he got past that 'bump'. Now you can both rest and concentrate on recovery.

(I had untraced bleeding and was nearly opened up again, got 2 units transfusion, and had no further effects--hope it works out that way for David too.)

this is good news to wake up to, tho I am so sorry to hear of the bleeding. Best wishes to you and your family. Tell him we are waiting for him. Blessins.......

Great news. Bleeding seems to be common. I had to be opened again and a mamory artery had been clipped by a pace maker wire.
He will feel like crap the first few days. It gets better. I am 7 weeks post op and feel great. Every day is a gift of God. His attuitde toward life will forever be changed.

Great news ! A little bumpy ride but it sounds like he is well on his way to recovery. Within a day or two of getting out of ICU they should start taking some of the various tubes out. They will also want him up and around. The biggest hurdle I had with surgery was navigating in and out of the bed. THAT wasn't much fun, other than that the meds took care of any other discomfort.

Give him our best !

Hi Nadine,
I am so happy to hear that David made it over the mountain. My day at work has been a big kick in the pants, so when I snuck into the VR forum it truly has made my day happier. Thanks:)

Latest posts

Back