David is over the mountain!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd day post-op update

2nd day post-op update

Thanks everyone for all of your encouragement! I just LOVE you guys:)!

Well, I was a little disappointed to find David feeling worse today than he did yesterday, but his nurse said that it usually gets worse before it gets better. He was very uncomfortable and they thought that he might have had some fluid around his lungs and so when I got there they had taken him down to try to remove it but there was actually no fluid but some of the sacs at the lower portion of his lungs had collapsed and he needs to work on opening them up. The nurse said that this is all very normal and the fact that they did not get him out of bed until today (because of not wanting to disturb the pacing wires since he had no rhythm of his own) probably contributed to it too. So he is using the spirometer and taking deep breaths and coughing. He said he didn't think he could feel so horrible. I'm sure he still had some anesthesia in him yesterday and now he is really feeling that Mack truck. I'm really glad that our kids saw him yesterday when he was looking and feeling pretty good. I will not take them to see him today. I explained to them that he is having a tough day and they understand. On a positive note, he did get his own rhythm back this morning and the are not pacing him now. They will watch him today to see how it goes and have a slot scheduled for him in the pacemaker schedule tomorrow if needed.

So, I guess it's a good lesson learned that recovery is not always in a straight line. It is often one step forward and two steps back (a lot like weight loss, right Cooker?) but at least we are headed in the right direction.

More updates later!
Nadine

Tell David things WILL get better, and his memory of some of the rough spots may even "revise" history. I remember that I felt like crap, but honestly, I think my mind has blocked some of the specifics.

...or perhaps the drugs were that good.

Definitely not a straight line in recovery. Thoughts are with both of you.

Nadine,
Sorry to hear that today is not a good day for David, but glad that he is over the mountain. I will keep fingers crossed and prayers that tomorrow is a better day. I hope you are getting a bit of rest.

Hi Nadine,

I am sorry that there are any complications at all but it is par for the course. Not always helpful when you are the one suffering but it is important to realize that these things are normal.

Please give David a big hug from us (one for you, too). This all will pass and become a vague memory during a needed journey to perfect health.

Nadine, thanks for the update. I think some of the things he is experiencing are "common" but not really "normal". Getting back into his own rhythm is a good thing though. Maybe he won't need a pacer after all. Having to work hard with deep breathing and coughing will really help his lung issues. Walking and moving around will help his breathing as well. I hope now that he will recover quickly and fully and get back home.

Nadine, it is hard for our family members when they see us feeling and looking so
bad, but as so many others have said it does get better. Tell David to use his spirometer
faithfully, it should be is best friend. My husband nic named it the sucker, but he was
the one who would hand it to me and say you better use this. Will be keeping you both
in my prayers. Laura B.

Focus on the Positive.

Getting his own Heart Pacing Function back is a BIG PLUS.

It takes time for the Lungs to fully inflate.
PUSH those Breathing Exercises.
They WORK, even if they aren't Fun (or comfortable).

I often tell patients to measure progress by the Week.
As long as there more Good Days than Not-so-Good Days,
that is a Good Sign that things are going in the right direction.

David is fortunate to have you 'watching his back' and 'managing the store'. Keep up the good work.

'AL'

Sometimes with any kind of hurting medical thing be it an operation, a broken bone (he no doubt has that too--his sternum), a deep cut or laceration, the second and third day have the most pain.

The first day, he's all doped up and after that wears off, the pain starts in earnest, and the pain meds only help partially.

But after these couple of days. he should start to feel better. And will also feel much better once all the tubes have been removed.

He might also have some pain because they are making him cough and take deep breaths which hurt. And any moving around at this point will hurt as well.

In time things will straighten out.

congrats nadine glad to hear things are going well. there will be peaks and valleys but remember your on the upward slope.

Nadine, thanks for theupdates. I think we all hit a bump at some point, I developed fluid in or around my lungs immediately after post-op, and as they kept me on the ventilator, they kept me sedated for two days! Then, just the next day or the one after, I started to not take every painkiller I was given, and managed to space them out a bit - they were making me sleep, and I did want to be awake in case my husband and/or parents came to visit!

He weill feel so much better in a day or two, being able to get up and about a bit, having a shower, having a real meal, these are all wonderful steps in the recovery process.

Nadine...keep your chin up, you guys are heading in the right direction. Sometimes there are bumps in the road but Im very confident that David will be upright in bed with a few days with a smile on his face. Just tell him that Sanchez has been named the Jets opening day starter and I bet he does cartwheels down the hallway. Give him our best, can't wait to see him posting for himself.

Nadine, Hang in there from all I have heard on this site is that it will get better. Surgery is hard on us, but I think it really wears on our loved ones. Take care of yourself so you can stay strong for David.

Prayers and thoughts are with you both you.
Lori

Nadine, wonderful posts and I'm listening with interest in all David and you are going through. Wow.. Thanks for sharing it with us and from what I hear he is supposed to feel like he has been hit by a mack truck. I'm glad the kids saw him in better form. Im also told that each day is supposed to get better. Hopefully that theory holds true and he will be feeling better tomorrow and tomorrow, etc. Good thoughts and prayers your way.

Rhena

another update

another update

David was doing much better yesterday afternoon when I went back to see him. I forgot to mention that after they brought him back from checking his lungs for fluid they sat him up in a chair and he stayed there the whole day. It was good to see him sitting up. He worked really hard to open up his lungs and his hard work paid off. When his blood work came back at 6pm his nurse did a happy dance all around the ICU high-fiving everyone because his oxygenation went from 42 to 80 (she said she was hoping for 70). She rewarded his hard work by letting him get back in bed. He said that yesterday morning when he was having trouble breathing was the first time that he was really scared that he was going to die. Thank God that by the end of the night (I stayed until 10pm) he was doing so much better. Our oldest daughter came around 7:30pm to say goodbye as she may not see him again before Saturday when she heads off to college. David just lit up when she walked in the room. She was the best medicine for him yesterday (he didn't light up when I walked in the room:mad:!) It was a very emotional visit and I was worried because she was driving about 90 miles home that night. She did fine and I told her that if she wants, and she is all organized for school, I would come home tonight and bring her back tomorrow to see David again so she could leave after seeing him in better shape (and hopefully out of the ICU). They did have to start pacing David again yesterday so the doctor will be evaluating him this morning for a pacemaker. I'm heading off to see him now and will report back later.

Thanks for following our saga! Rhena, I'm glad my posts are helpful to you and I hope they will be helpful to others who are in the waiting room:).

Nadine

Nadine, Again thanks for the update. I hope that David's pacing problems get straightened out. Keep after him to breathe, walk, rest and try to at least eat a little of the hosptial food. Maybe you can sneak a treat in for him.:D
I know when my husband was hospitalized he looked forward to some hot apple cider drinks I would bring him (we of course got his doc's approval first). Anyway I will be checking in to see how he is doing. Hang in there girl, soon all this will be but a memory. Also gives those girls a hug from me, they are also going thru heck having the DADDY in the hosptial. God Bless

Nadine,
So sorry to hear of his bleeding episodes! Like Al said, that is why we tell people to get someone experienced...llike you obviously did. He will be up and around soon. Come back and post on him when you can.

Latest posts

Back