David is over the mountain!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3rd day post surgery update

3rd day post surgery update

I can't believe that is has only been three days since David's OHS. I am exhausted and feel like I am coming down with a sore throat so I did not go back to visit tonight.

David had a pretty good day today. They finally took the chest tube out and although that was not fun he is feeling so much better with it out. The intensive care doctor told him that he could eat whatever he wants so I brought him a corned beef sandwich on rye from the deli across the street and although he could only eat a quarter of it he loved it!

His oxygenation is still not where they would like it to be and so they worked him pretty hard again today and it is improving. They did not do the pacemaker today as he would have had to have layed flat for six hours which would not have been good for his lungs. So they are going to keep him in the ICU until Monday when they will evaluate him again for the pacemaker. It looks like he will probably be in the hospital now until at least the middle of next week.

I will update again tomorrow after I get back home (I'm heading home tomorrow afternoon because I have to move our oldest daughter into college on Saturday).

Nadine

Nadine, Sounds like he is holding his own and making progress a step at a time. Be sure and get some rest while he is still in the hospital. He will need you when he comes home and if you are exhausted and sick, it won't do him much good.

Kim

I will update again tomorrow after I get back home (I'm heading home tomorrow afternoon because I have to move our oldest daughter into college on Saturday).

Nadine

OMG Nadine, you have your hands full. No wonder you are exhausted!! Kfay had some great advice - get as much rest as you can before he comes home. My best to you and David. Hope you have a smooth move... I just helped move my niece into her dorm. What controlled chaos that was. I was rather amazed.

Rhena

Nadine, sounds like David is having really good care. I can just feel your exhaustion
in your note. 2 years ago my husband was in the hospital for 20 days, and I remember
that feeling. You and David will continue to be in my prayers, healing for him and
strength for you. Laura B.

4th day post surgery update

4th day post surgery update

Well, David is doing pretty good but I feel horrible:(. I came down with a bad cold that started with a sore throat, now is in my nose and this afternoon I had a temp of 101. I went to see David this morning (didn't have a fever then but I wore a mask and stayed far away) and then headed home and went to sleep for a couple of hours. I got up and felt a little better so I helped my daughter finish getting ready to leave for college and now I'm going to bed and will be driving her up to school tomorrow morning.

David's nurse called this morning before I left for the hospital and asked me to bring his cell phone, iPod, a book and a couple of slices of pizza! He is still in the ICU and they are still working on his oxygenation but they have been able to continually lower the oxygen that they are giving him. He was in a really good mood and looked great!:) He wanted to return some calls on his cell phone but his nurse would not let him until his blood work came back. He had a whole list of people to call but I told him that even if she let him use the phone he needed to limit each call to one or two minutes and spread them out. He did call our daughters later in the evening to speak to them and that made them feel really good. Our twins only saw him once on Tuesday, the day after surgery, and then they went home the next day because they had their high school orientation yesterday. Our oldest (the one leaving for college tomorrow) saw him on Tuesday and then again on Wednesday night when he was not having a good day so she was also happy to hear him sounding really good today. His only real complaint was that he had the hiccups and couldn't get rid of them.

The plan was to reevaluate him for a pacemaker and defibrillator on Monday and keep him in the ICU until then to keep working on his lung issues but now they are holding off until Tuesday to make a decision on the pacemaker. I did not get all the info on this as I wasn't in the hospital most of the day and didn't feel well enough to call and ask questions when I got home. They may move him out of the ICU before Tuesday if they are satisfied with his lung function. I really don't mind him being there because he is getting much better care and attention then he would get on the step down floor but it would be nice if he could finally get up and around. He still has the swan ganz catheter so he is limited to going from the bed to the chair.

I will probably not head back down until Sunday morning. Tomorrow will be an exhausting day with moving my daughter in (and even more exhausting since I am not feeling well). Her school is about 60 miles north of where we live and the hospital is about 75 miles south. So it would be a little much to head back down tomorrow night. After Tuesday I will have to travel back and forth 1.5 hours each way since the twins start school on Wednesday. This last week I stayed with my sister who lives only 20 minutes from the hospital. Hopefully David will be able to be discharged by the end of next week so it will only be three or four days of traveling back and forth.

Nadine

Nadine, thanks for the update on David, but oh my gosh, my heart goes out to you too. You must be one tough lady. Catch catnaps wherever you can, do whatever you can to take care of you too. You know college doesn't sound that far away that maybe you couldn't just move the bare minimum at first and then consider moving in the rest another time when you feel a little better. Whatever you do, know that thoughts and prayers are with you and David. Rest is the only way you are going to feel better. Grab it when you can. Feel better soon. At least being in ICU you know David is being well taken care of.

Rhena

Nadine...your a saint. Tell David that you deserve a big ol vacation to the destination of your choice when he is back on his feet. All the schlepping back and forth that your facing with the hospital and with your daughters college while being sick is tough. Be careful driving and get as much rest as you possibly can. Once David is home he is still going to be pretty limited. But that will be a peice of cake compared to what your dealing with right now.

Thanks Rhena, Bina and Scott (sounds like a vaudeville act;)!).

I just got home from moving Sammy in. It was an 11 hour ordeal and I don't know how I did it. Her room looks great and she is very happy. I think David may have been moved to a step down unit today but I am waiting to hear from my BIL who was trying to track down the cardiologist on call. I may just call the CICU myself now because I really want to go to bed.

Will update you all tomorrow. Thanks again for thinking of us!:)

Nadine

We the patient think it's tough on us!

I commend you on how well you are doing. You are juggling a basket full of balls right now and it sounds like you have them in rythyem. I agree with the other folks here, make sure you take some time for you too, sleep, make sure you eat. (continue to post)

It's good to hear that Dave is heading in the right direction, he will be home before you know it and life will become a little less hectic.

Rob

PS; I woke my wife up early AM on the first real good nights sleep she was going to get, telling her "Hey they're going to spring me today! get here quick before they find a reason not to!"

Latest posts

Back