Cort (knightfan2691) avr tomorrow, Nov. 8

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What good news.
It's so wonderful to read how Cort is working his way through this so well.
He's been through so much.

Latest update:

Russell was just here. He confirmed again that everything is going really well and reassured Cort that his heart tolerated the surgery well. They are going to change the catheter in his neck to a smaller line, and then Cort is to rest for the rest of the day. He is already using the little breathing thing (I have NO idea what they are called) to work on expanding is lungs, but Dr. said that his lungs already are looking good. They will watch his kidney function closely and will be a little slower than normal getting fluids off him because of his kidneys. He is taking ice chips already. — with Cort Stevens.:

Sounds good :) :) :)

I am so happy to read all the positive updates. Cort is so special to so many of us. He has been through so much and maintains such a sweet spirit. I hope all continues to go well and that it will be a really long time before he has to have any more intervention. He will sure stay in my prayers. Thank you Mary for all you do to keep up with everyone!

No updates yet this morning, but as we all read, they were going to the hospital early today, so maybe we will get one soon. I will feel much more comfortable after another 48 hours and Cort's transfer to the floor.
On another note, and hopefully Cort will be reading this himself sometime in the next week, I say we absolutely, positively have to plan a get together. We're all blessed to have the extra years our replacements/repairs/bypasses have given us, and our friends, here on the forum. Let's take advantage of it while we can. Cort,and anyone else who can make it, start planning for an early spring visit to southern Illinois. Maybe Atlanta in mid-June for our southern members?

So I have been putting off getting a passport but now I'll have to ...............................but what a joyous reason to do it .........Cort you have to be there !!!!!

Thanks Mary

It's getting late tonight, but I just saw this post on Cort's FB page.
He needs many prayers tonight....

tried posting earlier from the road, but it didn't take...Please Pray! around 5:30 this evening i left Cort Stevens. While he wasn't completely comfortable, he seemed ok. they had gotten him back into bed (after him sitting up a good portion of the day), and his nurse was watching his oxygen level closely because it was low. his platelet count was also low, even thought they had been giving h...im platelets since the the surgery. he was bleeding more than they wanted. his nurse was in contact with dr. russell.
as we were leaving the city around 7 (after having dinner with family), i called to check in. Cort's nurse said that he was ok, but that his platelet level was really low, and that he was bleeding too much, and that he had been become unresponsive for a short time. directly afterwards he was alert and communicating again. However, they are taking him back into surgery to find out exactly what is wrong and to clear out the bleeding around the incision site. when i talked to the nurse, he was already intubated.

Mom and Dad are already on their way back to the city, if not already there. The last they talked to Dr. Russell around 8 i think, and he assured them that what is going on is not life threatening. however, it is related to the fact that Cort has had so many surgeries, and that he has had so many blood transfusions.

I came all the way home with Eric and JJ to get JJ into bed tonight. friends are taking me back to the city tonight so that i can stay all night. I am hoping that i can convince mom and dad to go home once Cort is back out of surgery to get some rest...
Please pray for strength and healing for Cort...
END QUOTE

This is what I read. (below) I beleive he had cardaic tamponade (from the sound of the volume of blood accumulation) what they drained" and the low platelet count. This happend to myself post surgery. The special blood could be what the called "packed cells" (frozen plazma). This controls the bleeding. Hope I am wrong here :(. Prayers my friend.

The surgery is over already. Cort's platelet count was really low and there was a lot of oozing blood around the incision site - they drained about 3-4 liters from the incision site. They are giving him a special kind of blood to get his numbers up where they should be. He will be on the ventilator overnight again. They will keep him in icu through tomorrow. The Dr said that while this is a setback, he will be OK. — with Cort Stevens.

Oh my! I did not check in yesterday. I hope is well with our dear friend Cort. Many thoughts and prayers going out for him.

Back