Cardiologist 1 year appointment

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nngbwh

Proud member of Throwdown
Supporting Member
My one year appointment with my cardiologist is coming up soon she never mention about doing an echo. Am I supposed to get an echo done every year? My last echo was last year October 2009. Should I request an echo done? What type of question should I be asking her during my visit and what will the cardiologist perform or ask?

Is this one of those chit chat visit where the doc says Oh How are you feeling? How are the girls? How’s life treating you?:confused:

Goodbye see ya next year.:eek:

Yeah, I think you should have an echo each year and possibly full blood test.

My one year appointment with my cardiologist is coming up soon she never mention about doing an echo. Am I supposed to get an echo done every year? My last echo was last year October 2009. Should I request an echo done? What type of question should I be asking her during my visit and what will the cardiologist perform or ask?

Is this one of those chit chat visit where the doc says Oh How are you feeling? How are the girls? How’s life treating you?:confused:

Goodbye see ya next year.:eek:

My Cardio always schedules an Echo just prior to followup appointments so that he can review the tape/results before he comes into the exam room.

My surgery was on 1 July 2009 and since then I have had 3 post op appointments with my cardiologist. One within a month of surgery and then one every 6 months. He does an echo (stands by when technician does it) stress ECG (12 minutes Bruce protocol) and bloodwork for blood lipids, kidney and liver functions everytime. I collect the Rx for the bloodwork from his office a week or so before the appointment so that we have the results available.

I would think an echo is important to see how the valve is functioning...

Just go an email from my Cardiologist saying Yes, I think an echo is a good idea - I went ahead and put an order in. Let's have it done before you see me in November. Thanks for the initiative!!

I am confused about what she is saying " Thanks for the initiative" :confused2:
Should it be the other way around ? Should she request an echo or it's up to the patient ?:confused2:

I usually request one just in case I feel forgotten. Did one last year Oct 2009 and doc said I could wait 18 months and do another in the spring. I will make a note in my agenda.
nngbwh, it all sounds good.

Just go an email from my Cardiologist saying Yes, I think an echo is a good idea - I went ahead and put an order in. Let's have it done before you see me in November. Thanks for the initiative!!

I am confused about what she is saying " Thanks for the initiative" :confused2:
Should it be the other way around ? Should she request an echo or it's up to the patient ?:confused2:

YES they should be the ones to request any tests that should be done, the patient should not have to ask for routine tests.. Some prefer to have the echos done earlier so they can have the report, but others, do all the testing the same day before your appt and not make a seperate trip out of it, especially if the echo is being done the same place as their office and they can go there to do or watch the echo.
I know just to be safe, whenever we got calls for Justin's appts, I always ask, what tests will he be having done that day ect. Usually if the person calling doesn't know they check with the doctor and get back to us. and let us know it will be done that day or if it has to be schedualled earlier.
When you have your appt, you might want to ask what the plans for the future are as far as check ups and tests. I know sometime in the beginning they might do yearly echos and then maybe start doing them every 2 years if things are pretty stable. We know their plan right now for Justin is he has his echo yearly but has an MRI every 2 years. So when we make the appt, I just ask, if we should be in a couple hours earlier to have the testing done, ect. or is that the time for the test and we'll meet when they are done?

Thanks Bina. I will make a note in my calendar next time.
Thanks Lyn. I will D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y ask what the plans for the future are as far as check ups and test.

Latest posts

Back