Blood Clot or Infection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Penny,
Sorry that I am chiming in so late...just catching up on posts. I will also add you to my prayers that everything turns out OK. Hang in there...

well I talked to the cardiologist today. He booked the appointment for next wednesday to have the TEE done. He told me that the doc was wrong in telling me that if it is a clot that it will go into my lungs.. apparently it may cause a stroke, but then he said that's if it is a clot. He did say that it could be a stitch or an infection. I am not impressed for I feel as if there is a possibily that it may cause a stroke then they should be moving a little quicker.. but what the hell its not their life.. I am not impressed!!!

ps thanks everyone..

Oh Penny...not the most reassuring words. Yes, I would want that TEE done yesterday!...one good thing...if I am correct they currently have you on coumadin as a preventive measure.
Thinking of you.
P.S. I wouldn't be impressed either.

Last edited:
Penny, I'm sorry, but can you not push them to do something before a week from now? I mean, if it is an infection, that is an awfully long time to not be on antibiotics. Do they still have you taking the warfarin? Who is managing that? I'm sorry, I wouldn't be too impressed with what's going on at this point either if I were you.

I'm still hoping that there is nothing amiss here other than someone not knowing how to read an echo.

Kim

Have you called the surgeon? There is NO way in Heck I would wait a week, to see if you have a clot OR infection on your valve this close to your heart surgery.. I was wonderring why they would say, a clot on your Aortic valve would go to your lung, since blood leaves the Aorta to the rest of the body, clots or vegitation on the right side go to the lung. IF it is an infection, does he think it will just sit around and not get worse in a week? This isn't making any sense. WE called the doctor when Justin had his post op infection, they had him come right in and ran XRays, Blood work, an Echo and they all looked fine so they did a CT scan to rule out a pulmonary embolism. The CT showed the infection around his heart and in his sternum and he was in the OR the next morning.
I know your system is different , but what would happen if you showed up in the ER, with a possible, clot or infection

Last edited:
Yea, this doesn't sound like it's adding up to me either. Whether it's an infection or a clot, I'd think they should be doing something immediately... But I do feel a little better with you being on Warfarin, but I agree with Kim - is someone helping you get your INR to the right level? Hoping it ends up being nothing - which they must suspect is the case, or I'd think they'd be moving faster. Keep us posted if you find out more. And don't be afraid to call them back and tell them you're just not comfortable with things moving this slow.

I agree with the others. Call your Surgeon's office and your Primary Care Physician to see if either can "get the ball rolling" to find some answers ASAP!

And YES, the Aortic Valve (on the Left Side of your Heart) controls blood flow into the Aorta which supplies the Rest of your Body, including Coronary Arteries and Brain. The Right Side of your Heart pumps blood to the Lungs.

'AL Capshaw'

I am going to call the surgeon tomorrow. The primary care doc said they can't do anything to move it along faster so I guess I will try the surgeon tomorrow. Thanks so much everyone, you are all so very wonderful!

Prayer

Prayer

Penny until thr medical community
1904.gif
gets off its collective a$$
the power of prayer comes your way and a
hug.gif

Penny,
I too agree with everyone else. This should be taken care of immediately! Could possibly cause a stroke, could be an infection, we'll check it out in a week???? What are they thinking??? This blows my mind, but I'm thinking you need to take the upperhand and call your surgeon, or go to the ER and demand they determine exactly what it is!!! You have my concern, thoughts and prayers, lady! Hang in there and get the job done, for yourself! (((hugs)))

Hi Penny,

You are in my thoughts. Even after 2 1/2 yrs post op I hate having echos! I had some complications myself after surgery, so I can totally RELATE.

Please keep us updated and take care

Blood cultures take time to be read. They don't give an instant result on infection; they're read at specified times over a period of several days. It's possible a positive result may be determined after as little as 12 hours, but sometimes it takes longer. Endocarditis frequently cannot be determined immediately. The fact that you've had the cultures done is good. Hopefully over the next several days, nothing will be found in the way of an infection.

As for something that "might cause a stroke" going under anesthesia for surgery might cause a stroke. OHS might cause a stroke; lots of things might cause a stroke.

Well I called the surgeon, I guess she was in surgery all day and the office assistant said she would pass the info on and have her give me a call. I waited all day yesterday and nothing. Today the cardiologist called me. He wanted to check in on me to see how I was feeling. He asked me if I had any questions and so I told him I thought it was unacceptable for them to make me wait if it was possible that it was a clot. He then said he wasn't convinced that it was a clot. He said in all of his years of practice he has never had a patient with a tissue valve that has had a clot. So why did he tell me they thought it was one of 2 things( blood clot or infection)???????????????? He said it that if it was an infection that it would be most likely today or tomorrow before anything showed up on the blood cultures. He said he knew how concerned I was so that is why I he called. I think my surgeon called him... Anyways here I sit.. waiting.. thanks everyone for listening to me vent...

The waiting is hard, I know. When I was in your position a few months agao, my cardio ran down the possibilities and I waited for the TEE. The standard echo showed a spot in the left atrium.
1. Clot. No, because I'm already on Warfarin
2. Infection. Not likely because of lack of fever.
3. Tumor. That would be serious and the TEE will tell for sure. No heavy exersion until the TEE.
4. Nothing. That's what it turned out to be - an "artifact". Hope yours is too!

BTW, I think Lynn's question is a good one, because my understanding is that a positive culture is conclusive, but a negatvie one is not.

Is your TEE scheduled?

The waiting is hard, I know. When I was in your position a few months agao, my cardio ran down the possibilities and I waited for the TEE. The standard echo showed a spot in the left atrium.
3. Tumor. That would be serious and the TEE will tell for sure. No heavy exersion until the TEE.
4. Nothing. That's what it turned out to be - an "artifact". Hope yours is too!

BTW, I think Lynn's question is a good one, because my understanding is that a positive culture is conclusive, but a negatvie one is not.

Is your TEE scheduled?

Hopefully it is just nothing and like others experience just something 1 tech saw that could be anything or nothing at all.
I would take NO fever as a good sign too as far as if there is an infection or not. Especially if you aren't on any antibiotics and haven't had a fever. (Justin had BE when he was 11 and a post op infection when he was 19 and both times he had a fever)

Justin didn't have an infection IN his heart, but he did have one in his sternum and around his heart after his last surgery. He had surgery and Staph grew in both his sternum (bone) and tissue cultures, but it never got to his blood, so the blood cultures were always negative.

I believe it is VERY RARE to have an infection on your valve but negative blood cultures, I think post op is one of the times it can happen. I believe it is called Culture-negative endocarditis or blood culture negative endocarditis.

I knew someone who had endocarditis and never had a fever. It is possible, though not likely. Infection can not totally be ruled because of no fever.

Back