Barbara Bush - Houston surgery today.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's give Mrs. Bush a couple of weeks to recover.....then we can get her to join us here. Could you imagine? :)
Maybe she has an assistant who could read her all of our well wishes!

Right, I heard the same thing. The doctor must have meant that such a valve in an elderly person could well out-live the patient. But the "for life" sound bite (as happens so often in the media) could be misleading.

Any of our 30 somethings want to contact her surgeon and tell him that they want one of those "Lifetime Porcine Tissue Valves"?

I'd love to hear his response!

All the best to her! While not a fan of her sons, I am very fond of her, and her husband. I send my love and thanks to them both. Brian

Here's the link to an article in today's Houston Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6294284.html

You can leave comments on this article, so maybe if we all invite her to join our group she will look us up? Actually I was thinking it might be good to put contact information in the well wishes because even if she doesn't stop by, there may be others reading the article who need to know about us. Ross? Hank?

Her second sugery in 6 months! Best wishes to her, she was a great first lady.

Lyn,

The valve that was demonstrated on GMA this AM was portrayed as a mechanical.

odd, I don't know any mechanicals that can be given percutaneously, they fold up the leaves, to fit them in the sheath of the catheter and when they stent opens the laeves got into valve shape (if that makes sense) I don't think they can squish the mech valves.

Fist Barbara Rush now Robin Williams! Is there something in the water or do these people just want to be one of us?

Fist Barbara Rush now Robin Williams! Is there something in the water or do these people just want to be one of us?

I would blame it on the tension!

Interestingly, I had my thyroid 'Grave's disease' after Mrs. Barbara Bush by 6 months and my doctor told me kiddingly: this is a VIP disease. Now, she had her valve replaced after mine by 6 months!! No comment about VIP issue:D;)

Wow! The Aortic Valve is getting a lot of PR this week! Barbara Bush and Robin Williams. Two more high profile public figures that can only bring more knowledge and understanding to our little corner of the health world.

Since most of us are "quasi" experts when it comes to this disease and remedy procedures, we often catch mistakes the media makes when reporting the facts. I thought I heard that they installed a mechanical valve in Barbara Bush, however I also heard that they performed the operation utilizing the non-invasive procedure through her leg. :confused:

Her surgeon, Dr. Lowrie, spoke briefly on Larry King Live last night. He said he implanted porcine valve and he expects her to do fine.
What I found interesting is Larry King said to him something like "that valve should be good for 20 or 25 years." Dr. Lowrie responded the new tissue valves are 'good for life'.....unless I misunderstood (which is certainly possible). Life for Mrs. Bush, yes. She is 83 or 84 years old. But if I heard correctly, someone else could have misunderstood his message and thought he meant good for anyone of any age for life.

Did anyone else hear him?

That is exactly what my surgeon at Stanford told me last August when I was 69, after having my A/V replaced with a Porcine valve also. Life is a relative term I suppose. If I make it 6 more months---then that's life! :)

Here's the link to an article in today's Houston Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6294284.html

You can leave comments on this article, so maybe if we all invite her to join our group she will look us up? Actually I was thinking it might be good to put contact information in the well wishes because even if she doesn't stop by, there may be others reading the article who need to know about us. Ross? Hank?

I mentioned "us" in the comment section.

I wonder if Robin Williams opts for mechanical or tissue valve.

He's 57, isn't he?

I am strongly speculating he goes with a tissue valve.

Wow! The Aortic Valve is getting a lot of PR this week! Barbara Bush and Robin Williams. Two more high profile public figures that can only bring more knowledge and understanding to our little corner of the health world.

Since most of us are "quasi" experts when it comes to this disease and remedy procedures, we often catch mistakes the media makes when reporting the facts. I thought I heard that they installed a mechanical valve in Barbara Bush, however I also heard that they performed the operation utilizing the non-invasive procedure through her leg. :confused:

Maybe it's pr this week since I am having surgery next week and I am so nervous.....esp. with Barbara having it here in Houston where I will be. Do ya'll think I will make the news next week????

Latest posts

Back