Barbara Bush - Houston surgery today.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid823425601/bclid958498245/bctid14897415001

I'm not sure if this video was available nationally, or if it's just in the Houston Chronicle. Makes me like George and Bar even more! They're just so normal!

Thanks for the link. I had heard some of the interview earlier but not all of what Pres. Bush said.

I can't place Dr. Lawrie's accent. Anyone know where he's from originally?
Oops, why don't I just do a 'google' and find out?

I could be wrong, but I guessed South Africa. We have several docs here that came from there, and his accent sounds similar to ones I've talked to before.

Edit - Nope, according to an article I found, he went to school in Sydney and London, so I think that's an Australian accent.

I heard about her surgery. on CNNI am glad she is doing OK so far. I feel sorry fo her being lost in that huge hospital. That is where I had both of my surgeries. That place is at least 1500 beds.!:eek:

Lettitia

It is so interesting and somewhat cavalier that Dr. Lauwrie thinks valve replacement is routine. I am sure if he needed surgery he would be quite worried and know it really is never just routine. Matters of the heart are serious and when things like this are printed it makes the situation somestimes even harder to deal with because then people think "why are you upset,it is just routine,no big deal". When Arnold Schwartznegger had his surgery there were 4 heart surgeons in the room...I am sure none of us had 4in the room I know I sure did not. Just some food for thought.

Flowergal:

I thought the same as you -- at first.

However, I then thought that perhaps the surgeon was meaning to be reassuring, i.e., meaning that he didn't anticipate anything out of the ordinary, that he wanted the public to know that valve replacement was becoming more common as lifespans lengthen.

But I still agree with you -- if it's YOUR surgery, it's never routine.

I LOVE that our surgeons think it routine.....that they do them so often that most of them are quite routine TO THEM as long as they treat us with respect and understanding and awareness of how frightening and anxiety ridden the experience is for the patients. But I was happy to be in a CICU where the nurses did this every day of their week and the entire support staff had seen it all before.

I have a feeling that heart surgeons that need heart surgery are probably even more terrified than we are (despite thinking that it is routine when they operate) because they know more than anyone all the things that can go wrong!!

It is so interesting and somewhat cavalier that Dr. Lauwrie thinks valve replacement is routine. I am sure if he needed surgery he would be quite worried and know it really is never just routine. Matters of the heart are serious and when things like this are printed it makes the situation somestimes even harder to deal with because then people think "why are you upset,it is just routine,no big deal". When Arnold Schwartznegger had his surgery there were 4 heart surgeons in the room...I am sure none of us had 4in the room I know I sure did not. Just some food for thought.

With the Houston facilities being so top notch and having some of the most incredible doctors in the world, having the international clients that they have, it is very routine to them. My surgeon is world renowned and one of the women in his office told me this is as normal to him as getting up and tying his shoes in the morning. They do hundreds of these operations in the Houston med center weekly, so I think that is what he was referring to. My surgeon has individuals coming from all over the world as does the entire group of docs here. Pulling up to that building and seeing Texas Heart Institute and knowing Debackey and Cooley were once part of all this I felt quite confident.

I never felt he made it sound like it was no big deal. We had the news breaking in every few hours to give updates on Mrs. Bush and the doctors explained in detail the procedure. They were telling the public that it wasn't an unusual procedure. I don't think he ever came across as it was not a dangerous procedure. He said all surgery is dangerous....anytime you go under the knife is dangerous is what he stated in the live interviews.

Yes, it isn't normal for us.

This is one time I don't mind living in Houston....even if it is hot and humid.

My surgeon has individuals coming from all over the world as does the entire group of docs here. Pulling up to that building and seeing Texas Heart Institute and knowing Debackey and Cooley were once part of all this I felt quite confident.

They were coming from all the world 17.5 years ago when I had AVR. I had the same feeling the first time I saw the Texas Heart Institute. I had a bad time while I was there but so glad I was there and not some smaller hospital.

You are fortunate to live there. It was an hour flight for us from Odessa.

They were coming from all the world 17.5 years ago when I had AVR. I had the same feeling the first time I saw the Texas Heart Institute. I had a bad time while I was there but so glad I was there and not some smaller hospital.

You are fortunate to live there. It was an hour flight for us from Odessa.

Just having the cath done today and seeing how awesome I was treated and the care I got, I feel much better about tomorrow.

Dr. Lawrie did my AVR 4 years ago. Besides being a top-notch surgeon, he also seems to be a really nice guy. He took the time to call my elderly parents after my surgery to let them know I was doing well. They were very excited to see him on the news.

He seeme not only excellent but caring....I didn't get one inkliking that he was taking anything lightly. The Bush family had even had a second opinion from Mayo Clinic and they said he was one of the best in the world. I think he is just so extremely good it is common practice for him.

Thanks for the link. I had heard some of the interview earlier but not all of what Pres. Bush said.

I can't place Dr. Lawrie's accent. Anyone know where he's from originally?
Oops, why don't I just do a 'google' and find out?

That is totally an Australian accent, very typical, I should know since I am one too :)

Latest posts

Back