Back from post-op checkup #2. . . mixed bag of findings.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon and Nupur - Good to hear of a decent life even with the pacemaker. At the moment, I am heavily dependent upon it (90%) with some bouts of Afib. From what others have told me here, the Afib is common and may or may not resolve itself over the next couple of months. I'm also hopeful that the dependence on the pacemaker may diminish as my heart heals. Other than that, I'm ready to start moving back, gently, into a regular life. Of course, no trips to the gym yet - I'll have to see when my cardio feels I'm ready for that. I look forward to it but will not rush it. I see him next Thursday (almost 5 weeks out) and plan to discuss returning to work for 2-3 hours a day (as tolerated) to keep from falling any farther behind. I somehow feel that when I can get back to some normal activities, I will start to recover even more quickly.

In addition, with the second increase of my lasix dosage, the swelling in my ankles seems to be less. I'm hoping that the pleural effusion will follow suit so I can get to sleep in a normal bed. So far, I sleep in a recliner, mostly upright, as it is easier to breathe that way.

Steve, IF it helps to hear how active someone can be w/ a pacer, Justin was 10 when he got his. He continued (with his cardiologists blessing HE had to sign all the release forms to play sports) to play competive soccer, basketball, was a catcher on his baseball team, as well as skate and snowboarded and while earning the Rank of Eagle scout, he did alot of camping, hiking, climbing and some sailing. His was under his ribs, but he just wore more chest protection than he did before his pacer. This was also after his THIRD OHS, the only other thing that changed when he had his pacemaker was he wore his medic alert necklace 24/7, since he wasn't on any meds, we never pushed wearing it before.

ps. BTW I'm curious, did you get one of the newer MRI compatible pacers?

AFAIK my pacer is new, but they still caution you against MRI's. I could query the manufacturer, and probably will before long, just to know.

I am by no means a competitive athlete, but I've been a jogger and gym rat for over 30 years. It is good to hear that I may still be able to run or jog, to some level of intensity, even with the pacer. Of course, I've got a lot of healing to do first, and I"m planning on rehab, too. That will help me to know just how hard I can push, and what my new limits might be. I'm looking forward to it, if for no other reason just to learn my limits.

Steve, I'm sorry you've had these bumps, but it is still early days, and as we all know, our hearts can do amazing things once it is given time to heal. My mother is 100% pacemaker dependent and has been for years. She has been through 2 battery changes (the last being last year) and I think she told me that they have each lasted 10+ years. I took her for this last battery change, and honestly, it really didn't seem like a big deal at all. She was in and out of the room in no time although they made her hang around for a couple of hours just to make sure her heart was pacing correctly after the change.

I'm sure it can be very disconcerting to think you are all of a sudden dependent on this little thing to make your heart beat, but you have to realize that there have to be literally millions of people in the world who have them and are living full lives just fine. Hopefully your heart will "wake up" and you will no longer need it, but if it doesn't, I have no doubt you'll be fine once you get used to it.

Kim

Steve, did they tell you anything about weight lifting restrictions with the pacemaker (sorry if you already mentioned this and I missed it). There is supposed to be a restriction on weights, right?

Keep the pacemaker even if your heart takes over most of the time.. my cardiac surgeon uncle calls it the peacemaker, gives you peace of the mind knowing it will give your heart a little kick if it needs it : )

I'm with Lynlw on the notion of NSAIDs for the lung fluid. Any of them would work, from aspirin to naproxen sodium to ibuprofen. Check with your doc.

AFib is no fun, but it can often be temporary. I'm not sure if the amiodorone is a help or a hindrance, since it doesn't seem to be affecting your rhythms positively, and may be depressing them.

This has been a tough recovery for you, but you're home and chipping away at the issues. You do us proud.

Very best wishes,

Bob - I haven't asked as to weight restrictions with the pacemaker. I have another check-up in 6 weeks. By then I expect I'll be well enough to be asking where the limits may be.

I do definitely plan to keep the pacemaker, no matter what. After all, I am currently dependent upon it, and who knows, even if my heart takes over, it may revert to being pacer dependent at some later date. Wouldn't want to need it and not have it, would we?

I'm just now getting my digestive system back to some semblence of normal after the pain meds, and have lost enough fluid due to increased lasix dosage so that my ankles once again look like they used to. I can also sleep in a regular bed, albeit with the head raised slightly, rather than a raised recliner as I've been doing for the past week (we think this was due to fluid retention).

So, things are beginning to normalize. I can manage to be up and out of the house for long periods of time without being exhausted when I get home, and will probably begin driving next week some time. I have a "status update" and exam with my local cardio late this coming week to begin assessing my readiness for rehab and for a return to work (limited part time to start). Hope that goes well - it will go a long way toward helping me to feel that I am truly recovering.

It sounds like things are going much better. Its amazing what a few days make and how much better you can feel, once things go back to normal, after stopping pain meds and how much better you can feel with less fluid. Getting more sleep can make a huge difference too (I know since i rarely sleep more than 2 hours at a time)

Its been a while, but for Justin I think the only weight restrictions just because of the pacermaker, were only in the beginning so everything can heal, usually the same amount of time you shouldn't lift that arm too high, if your pacer is located where yours is. Since he also had his the same time frame as recoverring from his OH, it really wasn't an issue, unlike people that jus needed to get a pacemaker at that time. IF you have any questions tho, i'm sure your local cardio would be able to let you know. Did you get a little booklet type thing and pamphlet all about your pacemaker when you left the hospital (or after that surgery?) I thought that was helpful when we got home from Justin's surgery since like you he was recoverying from OHS and a pacemaker at the same time, so all the info and discharge talk kind of got blurry in my head.

I agree and con't imagine anyone having a pacemaker removed if their own heart takes over, unless there is a problem. I liked knowing Justin had "back up" incase anything happenned, especially since he went into heart block a few times after cath.

Oh You could probably check the Boston scientific site to see if your model of pacemaker is one of the MRI compatible ones, I know medtronic has one, put I can't remember what other companies have them yet.
Now that i think of it the temporary card you should have gotten,(if you haven't got the perm one yet) should have MRI and other important info on it.
Hopefully now each day will just be better than the one before.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. Yes, things seem to be improving, but a bit slower than I originally expected. Today we took a walk (about 1 to 1.25 miles) then went out to the theater and dinner after. I'm home now, just relaxing. We'll see how the night goes -- sleep isn't as enjoyable as it used to be.

I just wanted to say something about driving. Like Steve my surgeon allowed me to drive short distances at 3.3-4 weeks (he said 4 but i rounded down...i.e. the day after he said it lol) but still wait 6 weeks for unlimited driving. When I asked him about it the issue was not so much the airbags. He said the 6 week time frame was/is an old rule because cars didn't used to have power steering which would put a lot of torque on your sternum while turning. He also said that their main concern is not the airbag going off but your chest hitting the steering wheel if you had an accident. I had heard that airbags was the biggest concern.

On a funnier note my first surgeon said I could drive as soon as I stopped the pain pills...but he probably knew that wasn't going to happen until I ran out of them and he gave me 100 of them. :D

Sorry you're having a rough time, Steve, but glad it's improving AND glad you're coping with it well -- probably better than lots of us who are expressing sympathy for you!

When somebody in my cardiac rehab class suggested walking stairs as rehab exercise, the people running the class almost went apoplectic! The local (Toronto Rehab Hospital) folks are convinced that a good exercise should be sustainable and sustained, and whole-body (and maybe one other characteristic, which I've forgotten -- gotta check my notes! Walking is their fave by far, and with 5 minutes of slower walking pre- and post, for warmup and cooldown. Stair-climbing is way too strenuous for their approval.

One advantage of a cardio class during bad weather is that they always have a great track (usu. 1/8-mile) and a bunch of stationary bicycles and other exercise equipment. My group is convinced that a full EIGHT MONTHS(!) of sliding-scale rehab is advantageous, though the actual "classes" drop down to monthly for the last few months.

The intro-lecture Cardiologist made an interesting point: The most common cause of death for STROKE victims is. . . (wait for it) . . . heart attack! So why does "stroke rehab" only last for 6 weeks (at least hereabouts), when they could clearly benefit from CARDIO rehab over a longer period?

I hope you (and I) continue progressing towards our new normals, and that they're at least as good as our old ones!

Last edited:
Keeping the pacemaker sounds like a good decision. Peace of mind is difficult enough to find in life. Didn't mean to portray it as a bad thing, if I seemed to.

You need to do what works for you, adn you're a smart enpough guy to be able to do that well.

Very best wishes,

Steve,

Glad you made it through OK ... but sorry about the "speedbumps" along the way. I'm nearly pacemaker dependent, too....

Thoughts/prayers en route for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery. :)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_04.16.11_Dwight.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Tell them we're survivors" __ Rascal Flatts __ 'Life Is A Highway'

Steve,

Wishing you well, hopefully this resolves itself quickly. Please hang in there and faith in your medical team. Although my recovery was different, (and no two recoveries are alike), if you are not already doing this, use both your surgeon and cardio for advise.They each may tell you different things.

Steve
I am happy to see things are improving for you, as I have been reading your posts and keeping you in my prayers. Pacemakers are good for peace of mind, my X has had one for over 20 years and has never had a problem with it. It is checked on a routine basis at his Cardiologist's office. If your sleeping in your bed now, remember to elevate your legs above your heart while lying down. ( Use a couple of pillows under your feet while in bed). Exercise your legs, it helps pump fluid from your legs, back to your heart. I would continue to wear my "support stockings" till your sure no edema will return. I assume your on a low salt diet, as well as the Lasix your taking.....so glad to hear your feet are looking normal again.
Your a survivor...doing a great job, be proud of yourself ( I know I am proud of you, and everyone here).......you have come through a few rough bumps ,you did not plan on...and your still on the road to full recovery :)
Keep smiling and best wishes
Renee

Go Team 2011 !!!!

Latest posts

Back