about::realkarl (introduction)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realkarl

Radiation survivor
Supporting Member
I am 39, live in Seattle, and used to enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle before my diagnosis.

Now I am facing aortic valve replacement, mitral valve repair, along with a bypass (not critical, but when they have opened up my chest, they might as well). I was diagnosed almost a year ago, after an echocardiogram I requested due to reduced capacity for exercise. Up until then I had been commuting by bike the last 5 years (13 miles r/t), in rain, wind and even snow once in a while, rollerblading on weekends, as well as hiking and skiing.

A few days after the echo I was advised I needed to set up an appointment with a cardiologist. Long story short, he sat me down and literally told me that my heart was ?shot? and needed complex surgery very soon. The heart was severely dilated, ejection fraction 20% or even less, both the aortic and mitral valves were leaking. The severity was quite a shock, but not completely a surprise, since I had been doing echos for a minor leak regularly. This time though, it was four years since the last time. They are almost certain the damage is caused by the radiation treatment I went through to cure Hodgkins' disease (lymph cancer) when I was 15. An angiogram some weeks later also showed narrowing in one coronary artery, also likely caused by the radiation.

I was put on the standard regimen of medication (beta blocker, ace inhibitor, lanoxin, spironolactone). Fortunately, this helped my heart shrink back to almost normal size, with an ejection fraction at 45%, and stabilized the situation. The doctors therefore recommended to not do the surgery until the the situation got worse, due to the risk associated with surgery. This was about five months ago.

However, with the combination of medication and the leaks, my capacity for exercise is drastically reduced, and activities I used to enjoy, are hard to complete, if at all. I tried to commute by bike, but had a hard time making it home. Being used to something completely different, this is hard to live with. Besides, the longer I wait, the larger the risk of permanent heart damage, as well as increased risk during surgery itself. After the latest echo showed some degradation in the numbers, my cardiologist recommended it was time. I think that was the news I was hoping for. In fact, I am starting to look forward to it, despite the risks and rehabilitation.

Yesterday I met with the surgeon, and it made the decision even easier. I had my questions prepared, some I found in this forum. Just a simple thing like asking about the brand of mechanical valve they would use for the aortic replacement, and if I had a choice. He said they were using St Jude. I mentioned On-X, and he said I could choose either of the two. After the consultation I ?reserved? my date of July 21st for the surgery with pre-op the day before.

If all goes well with the surgery, I should gradually get off the medication and back to normal exercise capacity. I am a little worried about life on Warfarin, (I have had a handful of hard to stop nosebleeds over the years), as well as health insurance issues in the future. Fortunately I am well covered now.

I am glad I found this forum. It has already been very helpful. Thanks to everyone contributing their knowledge and experiences. It makes it easier to face the surgery and rehabilitation.

Welcome to VR. Sorry for the circumstances but glad you found us. Sorry I can't provide you with any insights about life on Warfarin or health insurance issues as I had a repair so don't need ACT and I'm in Canada. JI just wanted to welcome you. Best wishes and good luck.

Hi realkarl, and welcome. Glad you've found us, lots of experienced folks on this site and we all have at least some idea of what you're going through. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we are here to help and support you. Someone will always have an answer!

I think you will feel a lot better after you recover. Most people don't realize how bad they felt until after they were 'fixed up' and feel better than they have in years.

Melissa

Welcome to our family. I am glad you found some useful information already. I know what you mean about going from one lifestyle to hardly nothing. I am a mom of 5 and went from taking care of them everyday and running back and forth to school and activities to nothing. I couldn't drive because of the dizzy spells, i was always tired, SOB, etc. I am now 6 weeks post op and still can't do much (had some bumps in the recovery) but am looking forward to getting back to it.

Like Melissa said, I can't wait to see how I feel once i'm all healed to compare to how I felt for the 5 years of symptoms leading up to the surgery.

Good luck to you and I am sure I'll be seeing you around the board.

Just wanted to add another warm welcome to this forum. Glad that you finally have a date set and things are moving forward. Everyone will agree that the waiting is the hardest part. Don't be shy to post any questions or concerns. This is a great group of people!

Thinking of you and sending best wishes,

Welcome! You are right to get it done now before more damage is done, and no point having to live with diminished capacity if you don't have to.

You can get lots of answers to your questions on warfarin on the Anticoagulation forum. Read the top stickies in the forum (and view the videos). I would also recommend telling your cardio that you want to home test your INR ASAP after surgery and see if you can get the ball rolling on a machine.

Check out the Active Lifestyles forum. There are many warfarin users that post there - and quite a few bikers.
Best wishes.

Hi realkarl. Happy you introduced yourself and told us your situation.
You have a great attitude about wanting to go forward soon and get back to the lifestyle you enjoy.

You've probably read here many times that the wait/anticipation is the worst part and for most of us that is the case.

Good you have met with your surgeon and have set your date.

Hopefully, someone here will be able to answser most questions that might come up.
Best wishes.

Welcome!! So glad that you found us and thanks for the explanation. Surgery is certainly no walk on the park (or bike ride to work) but you will be back on your feet in no time feeling better then ever. Keep us posted.

Thanks to everyone for your warm welcomes and support. Yes, I am really glad to have made a decision. It has not been fun living in the uncertain state of not knowing, and agonizing over real or imagined symptoms, and feeling sad whenever reminded of activities I used to enjoy. I will spend the time before surgery well, learning what I can and asking questions when needed.
Thanks again!

Welcome to our World Karl !

We have around 20 members who have required Valve Replacement many years after receiving Radiation Therapy for Hodgkins Disease. Do a Search on VR.com (see the Blue Line at the top of the page) for "Hodgkins" and "Radiation" (separate searches) to find links to considerable discussion of those issues.

As one of those members, I would strongly ask this Surgeon WHY he wants to do a Mitral Valve Repair instead of simply Replacing BOTH Valves with mechanicals.

I would also ask how long he thinks this Repair would last. FWIW MANY of our Repair recipients have had to have their Mitral Valves replaced at a later date, some earlier than others.

SOME Surgeons are beginning to ask Radiation Survivors if they would like to have Both Valves replaced at ONE time since there is some evidence that the MV continues to deteriorate "even if" it doesn't yet meet "surgical criteria" (Tell me about it!). This approach has the benefit of hopefully preventing a second surgery with the additional risks due to scar tissue formed by the first surgery.

You may also want to ask your surgeon how many Radiation Damaged Hearts he has performed Valve Replacement Surgery on. (forgive my grammar)

Please look for the STORIES section on the Home Page and read the story of Johnny Stephens. He is a Radiation Survivor who received BOTH AVR and MVR in one operation AND, he is 'neighbor' of yours, (works for Bill G).

If you've read many of my posts, you know that I am an advocate for the On-X Valves as the best means for minimizing Clot / Stroke Risk in a (hopefully) permanent Valve.

Feel Free to ask any Questions that come to mind.

'AL Capshaw'

Hello, RealKarl, and welcome aboard!

Happy that you found the need for surgery in due time and before more damage was done to your heart. You are young and a strong survivor and you shall reenjoy your life after surgery as you did before and return to your activities. As for Warfarin, as long as you keep it within the range your surgeon will decide for you, there is no problem with it. And we are always here to answer any questions you have.

Thanks, AL, for your advice. I will ask my surgeon, as well as a doctor from the hospital in Norway where I had the radiation. She contacted me a couple of years back with a survey to study the late side effects caused by radiation on patients from way back. Maybe they gained some useful knowledge from it. Both my valve damages are insuffiencies and not stenosis. The surgeon explained the repair involved a ring to tighten the mitral valve opening a bit.

Hello from down the I-5!! :D:D I'm in the Portland Metro.

My son, 24, is moving back to Seattle at the end of the summer. He, too, gets around all over town on his bicycle (though for me, if I even rode, I'd only venture out on the Burke-Gilman trail!) so I can understand how you are missing your lifestyle. He just zips all over town. You have a GREAT attitude and I'm sure that you will be mentally and emotionally ready for your surgery.

Glad you found us. This place is a much needed neighborhood. Don't be shy!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Welcome to the site. Lots of great people here. Cool that you found good info from the site already. Keep us up to date on what's going on. Life on Warfarin? I've had a time of it, but others seem to do great with it. The hardest thing? Trying to hit a target INR of 2.5-3.5...better odds on hittin the lottery for me...

Dr. Bruce Lytle, now Chief of CardioThoracic Surgery (I believe) at The Cleveland Clinic (#1 rated Heart Hospital) made a presentation at one of the Major Heart Surgeon's meetings where he stated that Long Term Effects of Radiation were showing up after 20 years. He 'seems' to be the 'Radiation Guru' at CC. You may want to do a Google Search to see if you can find any papers he has written on the subject.

I'm glad that your Radiation Center followed up with a survey about Long Term Effects. I was over 21 when I had my treatment and when I called my center, I was told that unfortunately, no one was doing any studies on Long Term Effects in Adults. The only Long Term Effect Studies were for Pediatric Patients.

What Surgeon are you planning to use?
What Hospital(s) does he use?

Thanks, AL, for your advice. I will ask my surgeon, as well as a doctor from the hospital in Norway where I had the radiation. She contacted me a couple of years back with a survey to study the late side effects caused by radiation on patients from way back. Maybe they gained some useful knowledge from it. Both my valve damages are insuffiencies and not stenosis. The surgeon explained the repair involved a ring to tighten the mitral valve opening a bit.

Welcome. I wish you luck. I can state that a "repair" does not always work, or last long, as I am looking at having a mechanical done on June 15th. Mitral valve. Sounds like you've already been through alot, and you certainly dont want to have to have any more open heart surgeries than you have to.

Welcome Karl... sounds like your head is in a good place, and you are well aware of the benefits of having the surgery now versus waiting any longer. I had two OHS at age 38, I'm now 40 and honestly feel better than I ever have. Wishing you the best.

Latest posts

Back