19 Days Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RANDYJEAN

...and I drove and worked today! Wheeee!

Saw my surgeon yesterday, and he was very pleased with his work LOL. He cleaned up my incision a bit (over my right breast) and removed a couple stitches from beneath my breast where the chest tubes were and a couple more in my left chest where they had to put the other tube when my left lung partially collapsed. I think he said the main incision was just glued shut (no stitches to remove) as was the incision in my groin where the heart-lung bypass mechanism went in. All areas are healing nicely! My chest x-rays show that one of my lungs is still less than fully inflated--not sure which one it is, but I think it's the one they deliberately deflated for surgery.

Anyway, according to him, I can drive and work--he said to go about my normal life, but I'm taking my time. I only spent 2-1/2 hours at work today. Besides, I think my cardiologist is the one who should make the call, and I see her on Monday.

One thing I've been curious about that I haven't seen anybody mention: sometimes when I first get up and walk, it feels like I get a couple of electrical shocks on the inner part of my leg near the knees. Anyone else experience that?? I first felt it in the hospital--thought for a moment a hot wire had brushed against my leg. It doesn't really hurt or anything, but I was wondering what the explanation is.

My dad passed away on Saturday after a nine month illness; I was glad I was well enough to have seen him one last time for dinner on St. Patrick's Day. If I'd had the sternotomy, I'm not sure I would have felt well enough, so I guess my decision for the alternative procedure was Destiny.

~Randy

You're only 19 days post op and still healing. Take it easy and make sure you're not lifting anything heavy.
Sorry to hear about your dad passing.

Nice to hear you are healing fine. Driving at 19 days? Be very careful, sudden upper body turns checking traffic or slamming on the breaks and having the seat belt punish your sternum may not be a very good experience.

Mac, 11/19/09 AVR, single by-pass carbomedics mechanical, Dr. Suri, Mayo Clinic

Hi, Mac...Don't worry! I didn't have a sternotomy so my sternum's intact. :) I did the portal access routine. I definitely wouldn't be driving yet, otherwise!

~Randy

Randy,
We've had a few similarities with type of incision and complications, but I had nothing in the way of the shocks that you mentioned. Glad you're starting to get back to your normal life, but do take it easy. So sorry for the loss of your dad. That's got to be a big thing at this time in your recovery. Walk gently.
Luana

I am glad your recovery is going so well, but also sad about your Dad. That is a double whammy, surgery plus such a painful loss.

Sounds like you are healing nicely, but be careful about doing too much too soon. I did that with my first open heart. My second, I was back at work in 5 weeks but I sit at a desk, so. The shocks....this is from them going up the femoral artery for the cardiac cath and also for monitoring for the surgery itself. I still have numbness at the site. Sorry to hear of your father's passing.

Sincere condolences for your loss Randy! ...But happy you're doing well and keeping us posted. I'd like to have a minimally invasive for my next surgery, but not sure they can do it that way after a previous sternotomy. Anyway, I'm SO glad you went this route, as I've heard very good things about it!
Praying for your continued recovery & success,
~Karen

...and I drove and worked today! Wheeee!

Saw my surgeon yesterday, and he was very pleased with his work LOL. He cleaned up my incision a bit (over my right breast) and removed a couple stitches from beneath my breast where the chest tubes were and a couple more in my left chest where they had to put the other tube when my left lung partially collapsed. I think he said the main incision was just glued shut (no stitches to remove) as was the incision in my groin where the heart-lung bypass mechanism went in. All areas are healing nicely! My chest x-rays show that one of my lungs is still less than fully inflated--not sure which one it is, but I think it's the one they deliberately deflated for surgery.

Anyway, according to him, I can drive and work--he said to go about my normal life, but I'm taking my time. I only spent 2-1/2 hours at work today. Besides, I think my cardiologist is the one who should make the call, and I see her on Monday.

One thing I've been curious about that I haven't seen anybody mention: sometimes when I first get up and walk, it feels like I get a couple of electrical shocks on the inner part of my leg near the knees. Anyone else experience that?? I first felt it in the hospital--thought for a moment a hot wire had brushed against my leg. It doesn't really hurt or anything, but I was wondering what the explanation is.

My dad passed away on Saturday after a nine month illness; I was glad I was well enough to have seen him one last time for dinner on St. Patrick's Day. If I'd had the sternotomy, I'm not sure I would have felt well enough, so I guess my decision for the alternative procedure was Destiny.

~Randy

Randy, are the little shocks on your leg they cut for the bypass machine? If so Justin had an incision for that with his 5th OHS it was about 3-4 inches, and he had weird feelings some parts were painful, others were numb and everything in between. That incision botherred him more than his sternal one, esecially when he was getting his walks in. Justin had a full sternal incision, but I know other people that have min invasive surgery that complain about their leg/thigh too. So if the leg with the weird feelings is the same one they cut, it seems to be pretty common, it took a while (months) for Justin's to feel completely normal, it was a gradual thing the numb area got smaller and pain and nerve "tingles" as Justin called them, gradually left and one day..month later he realized his leg felt normal.

Some times I wonder if doctors, people make it clear that with min invasive, sometime you will get a smaller sternal/thoriacic incision, but you will probably get a bypass incision in your groin or corodid area, that some times causes people more discomfort than their chest does. that you probaby won't get with a regular OHS.

I am sorry to hear about your Father.

Last edited:
Hi, Lyn...the heart lung bypass thingy went through an incision in my groin on the left side, but it's the right leg I get the "electrical" twinge on, so go figure. :) It's not painful or anything, just a little weird. I have my first appt with my cardiologist tomorrow, so I'll ask her about it. All in all, if that's the only thing I have to "complain" about, I'm happy! LOL

~Randy

Latest posts

Back