10 days and counting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well guys & gals 10 more days and this wild ride will be over... well not over but the worst will be over...
I dont know about anyone else but myself this time is very difficult for me.. Sleeping patterns could be much better, anixiety level could be lower, but most of all I just wish it was over and done with.
I have been trying to keep myself busy as to not think about it yet it hangs over me like a little black rain cloud(maybe I should watch some winnie the pooh) lol
So as the countdown begins, does anyone have any advice for me for stuff to consider these last few days...

Hi Penny, unlike you, I didn't have time to worry, so I guess I was lucky in that way. I went to the ER and surprise surprise, the next day I was having my surgery!! Everything went great for me and I'm praying the same for you. As far as any advice, all I can think of is: try to think positive good thoughts and don't let any negative ones in. I used to have a little poster that said: "Why worry? You're in His hands!" with a picture of someone sitting on a bench and God's hands coming down from Heaven surrounding them. So don't worry, you're in His strong capable hands and He'll take care of you. I wish you the best of luck!!! -- Valerie

Hi Penny,
The time you're in now is hard. You're almost there, but not quite, and that's the hard part: you're waiting.

They may well give you some anxiety meds when you go in for your pre-op; however, there would be nothing unusual or wrong about asking for some now. If I had to do it over, I would do that. You'll probably also sleep better with some anti-anxiety meds and that's good, too, because there's no sense in you arriving at your surgery exhausted.

Finish what needs to be done to be comfy when you get home because you won't be doing much for a while.

I'll keep you in my prayers.
Hugs,
Luana

Dear OHS Sister!
Well, my friend, your time is quickly coming upon us. I am here for you, being a very loud mouthed cheerleader for you! lol. You're going to do just great and you will be so glad when it's all over. I will be so glad for you too! Get as much done as you can before, because seriously, after, you will not be able to do things like you may think. You have your at home help lined up? You will need help getting up out of chairs, and someone to prepare your meals for you. You may or may not need help with your first shower especially. Take this time leading up to your surgery, to surround yourself with your loving family and friends if you so choose. Keep your mind occupied and take those anti anxiety pills now until your surgery!! It will really help keep your mind from wondering there! Just do whatever you feel like YOU want to do, or go wherever you feel like you want to go! Go buy you some luxurious slippers to take to the hospital if you have not already. When I was in my own room after about a day or so, I was all about comfort! I had a couple of gel pillows from JC Penny in beautiful bright pillow cases, and a really cute memory foam round neck roll I took to the hospital, along with my own hot pink blanket for my hosp. bed. It was beautiful! I was so glad I did that! It just made everything more cheery! Once you're done, take all the pain med's you need. You cannot heal if you are in pain, remember that! My pain meds have worked well for me. Just don't let it creep up on you, because it takes a while for it to get in your system, once you're taking them in pill form, about 20 or 30 min. I can't think of anything else right off, but you know I'm here for you and I know you're going to do GREAT!!!! Take care, msg me whenever you want or need to, I'll be here holding your cyber hand and sending you cyber hugs!! ( I love your new pic!!!)

Penny....I pray that you have peace and know HE is looking down on you and keeping you in the palm of his hand. He would not have brought you to this not to see you through it. With all your family and friends love and prayers and all the good people here, You are going to do wonderful. And as a little extra boost to make you smile......Here is POOH BEAR ....stuffed after raiding the honey jar and sleeping happily....just for you......Lots of heartfelt warm hugs....Michael
WinnieThePooh.jpg

Penny,

Yes waiting is the hardest part. Try to keep busy and be postive , do some crossword puzzles or something like that to keep your mind active and make the time go by. Do the things you don't think about that you'll need when you get home. Freeze some meals, change the sheets ,shave your legs clean the bathroom and buy some new shoes for your walks.
Angel had great ideas bringing comforts from home to the hospital
Hang in and take one day at a time. Drop a thread when your down or read one of Ross's jokes lol

@Micheal OMG too cute .

Penny,

Hope your time goes by quickly and your surgery goes smoothly! Im starting to feel that same anxiousness you are. Ive decided to have a theme song. "If you are going through hell" by Rodney Atkins. So true. It says if you are going through hell just keep going dont slow down. Thats going to be my theme.

Hey Penny, love the new pic! It may not feel like it, but I think you're already over the worst part because you're to the point you just want it to get over with. And these last 10 days will FLY. And that's great because as you know all too well, that side of the mountain you're on right now is FAR worse than the other side.

Like the others, I think the best thing you can do is stay busy with regular life and getting things ready for when you come home. I had a huge list of "todos" my last 10 days or so I wanted to get done before surgery. I took off 3 or 4 days off work right before surgery to try to get some of this done. It included stuff I wanted to wait till the last minute to do (dusting, vacuuming, laundry, mowing, cut toenails, putting a coat of 'just for men' on my goatee, etc.) some things I knew I wouldn't want to worry about for a week or two (pay bills, stock up on groceries, etc.) some things I knew I wouldn't be up to for a while (get things lined up at work, get a haircut, clean out gutters, lose 10 lbs, etc.) some projects to spiff up the house figuring I'd have some visitors (plant flowers, paint the porch, clean the garage, put new kitchen floor in, get a new TV stand, etc.) and some other misc. and last-minute type things like getting a new recliner (thinking I'd be sleeping in it), last minute questions of my surgeon or the hospital (do they have wireless at the hospital, etc.), get a drawer ready for easy access to comfy clothes, and the last night was really crazy (trying to get as much of my list as I could done, putting out the garbage, saying 'see ya on other side' to facebook & myspace people, etc.). Oh, and of course, like always, keeping up on my apps on Facebook lol. The benefit of keeping busy is it tends to do what you're already doing - not let yourself think about the surgery. I managed to keep my mind largely off the surgery itself (except for a few relapses worrying about silly things like the breathing tube, how am I gonna pee, etc.) until the last night before surgery. And even then I didn't let myself focus on it much. I was busy that night with not only my todo list, but also all the pre-op stuff (take your meds, shower with that special soap, take one last look at your chest pre-scar, etc.).

If you ever start feeling like you're slipping a little (i.e. worrying about things) remember to visualize success! Which in your case is seeing yourself holding your new grandchild this coming Christmas!

If you can, try to line up someone to post updates here for you in case you're not up to it for a few days. We'll be in the waiting room with your family and other friends! Don't forget to post a "here I go" thread in the last day or two so we can all send our best wishes and prayers. And then get ready to join the party over on this side - it's a really fun party!

Hi Penny

Just thought I would wish you the best as you wait. I wish mine were that close, but I have to wait until Aug 9. I will be watching to read your posts after your surgery to see how things go. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers too. Pat

thanks for all the reply guys and ladies.
Robb that IS an awesome song one of my favs. Greg thank you for taking the time to find it and post it on here.
Michael I love the pooh picture, ladies, your kind words make this journey so much easier.
I am feeling a little emotional right now. All of these replys made me realize how thankful I am for having such a great group of people to lean on.. thank you all for that. I think today I will look for some inspiration songs and pictures to focus on.. :)

Andy, dear heart, I got exhausted just reading your to-do stuff before surgery. I'm guessing they barely needed any anesthesia for you; you must have just fallen right off into a stupor as soon as you got on the table.:D

Mike, we need more puppy pictures.

Penny, this is a crappy time. I was thinking about it last night after I posted and thought, geesh, I sure wouldn't want to be back there. Your little dark rain cloud will rain, and then it will pass and the sun will shine and flowers will bloom. Oh, and you'll feel a whole heck of a lot better, too.

More hugs,
Luana

Haha Luana, you're not far off. I ended up staying up 'till about 1 am the night before my surgery trying to get as much stuff done as I could, and I had to be to the hospital at 5 am. But I figured, what the heck, I was gonna get to sleep pretty soundly for 3 or 4 hrs later that morning ;) Disclaimer!!! That's not recommended behavior - I'm just a dumb-_ss! It was stupid to stay up that late - probably put more stress on my body than was smart. But on the bright side, it did keep me from thinking much about the surgery ;)

Andy, I dearly hope you never need another heart surgery; however, if you do, and since you seem to get such a bolt of energy beforehand, please come to my house and do a few little odds and ends?

Mike, thanks for the impossibly cute puppy pic.

Penny, what are you doing to help the time go by? This might be a good time to catch up with a friend or two you haven't seen for a while over lunch. Seems to me I did that the week before my surgery. When do you go in for your pre-op?

Positive thoughts.... Praying for a speedy recovery.. Your almost there... The waiting is almost over. From what I hear, that is the worst part.. Have a great day!! Sherry & Tyler

Latest posts

Back