why do they have to do the heart cath?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel

well, to my surprise, i just received a call from my cardiologists office stating that they did find what looks to be like a 50% moderate blockage on one of my arteries, front of heart, from the CT angiogram. My surgery was already scheduled for next friday, now they say they need to do a cardiac catherization on Tuesday or wednesday morning. they say if it truly is 50% blocked, then they're not going to do anything, but if it's more than 50% then when I have my AVR surgery on Friday, then they will do that bypass as well. help me with this. it's really not a good day for me. now another thing to deal with before surgery that i don't even want to go through with. i've never had a cardiac cath, i only know they go in through groin area and run dye through to look for blockages, etc.

cardiac catherization help!

cardiac catherization help!

looks like i now have to go for a cardiac cath on tue or wed next week. my avr surgery is friday of next week supposedly. please help me with this, have you had it , explain exactly what i will be going through with here. i'm once again very, very nervous. thanks for your help.

Yes, I had a cardiac cath two days before my surgery. I think that's a pretty standard pre-surgery procedure. Don't really remember much about it, but it was no big deal and I watched the entire thing on the monitor above. Even got an 8 track tape of it somewhere......rather boring, but the best part was when my cardio said, "Your arteries are clear as a bell"...!!

I had one in October. It's like nothing. Really. I had no pain whatsoever except at the very end when the cork was put in the artery, which was somewhat uncomfortable for about 15 seconds. For me, the worst part was I had to lie flat on my back for several hours afterwards and I really really had to pee. I can't do it in a bedpan. I waited until the time was up and happily trotted off to a real bathroom and did my business.

Did you doc not explain the procedure? They will insert a catheter usually at the groin (you get half a bikini shave for free), and that goes up to your aorta and into your hear so x-rays can be taken and. Some people say they feel warmth when dye is injected, but I didn't feel any. The test can determine if you have any blockages in the coronary arteries and is probably the best way to determine just exactly what is going on with your heart valves. No need to be nervous!

I was nervous too, but it was a piece of cake, truly. I had mine about a month before surgery, and was probably as nervous about the cath procedure as I was about the surgery itself. But it turned out that was silly. The cath procedure is safe, painless and quick. Your arteries have no feeling, so you don't feel a thing. It's an outpatient type thing - go home later the same day, although they keep you there for observation for a few hrs first. I easily could have gone back to work the next day, but took it off just as a precaution.

As far as the procedure itself (and please remember I'm only speaking from personal experience - they may do this slightly differently in other hospitals) here's what I remember. They wheeled me into the operating room while I was wide awake - which was a little freaky, but not horrible. I remember getting up onto the table (pretty much by myself if I remember right). They sedate you pretty heavily, but don't knock you out completely. So I remember them putting the IV in, and then it gets fuzzy after that, lol. I remember telling them - don't be afraid to crank that sucker up - in fact, I'd rather be asleep. But there was some reason they didn't want me to be totally asleep, so I was just kind of semi in la-la land. I remember parts, but not all of the procedure. I think I got some local anesthetic down there where they were working (in the crease at the top of my leg, but more toward the top as you're laying on the bed, not down between your legs like I was afraid it might be). But I was getting pretty fuzzy by then, so barely remember the local. I vaguely remember them working down around my groin area, and them telling me they were putting in two lines - one in a vein and one in an artery. I think they told me there could be a warm feeling rush over me as they put the die in, and I vaguely remember feeling that. I vaguely remember being a little worried about my heart skipping a beat or two while they had the cath in there, because they'd warned me that could happen. I don't remember if that happened or not though, lol. I couldn't even really tell when they had the cath up that high and when they didn't. Didn't feel a thing. Must have dozed off for a few min, cause next thing I remember is my cardiologist waking me up and telling me the results. In my case, the results were - yes, it's time for the valve to be replaced, but no, you don't have clogged arteries (those were the two things they were checking for). Hope that helps a little. Honestly - don't be scared about this one - it's easy peasy!!!

Angel, No worries.
they usually go in thru the groin area and the cath is fed up through the vessel. you are usually under what they call "Twilight sedation" so if you remember anything ,it may come in small bits. I have had blood draws that left much larger wound sites. A bandaide and I was on my way. You will need a driver to take you home( having been sedated) and no lifting or straining for 12-24 hrs. I guess i could have watched the procedure on the monitors but I chose to nap thru most of it.:)
Teresa

It's pretty common to check coronary arteries before valve surgery so if you need to have a bypass it can be done with the valve surgery -- much better than having two surgeries! From what I understand, it probably should not complicate or extend your recovery at all. The valve surgery is tougher to get through than bypass alone is what I've been told. If you need to have a bypass surgery, there's no better time to do it than when they're in the neighborhood.

We all are nervous before our first cath as we don't know what to expect.... like anything in life. In reality, for most of us it was so much a non-event that we wonder why we were so nervous. I had no bruise, no pain, no discomfort and no restrictions other than to not drive that day. I was permitted to do anything I wanted the next day. They gave me plenty of versed and whatever pain control they used and it was a breeze. Sure, every now and then we hear about someone who had a bit of difficulty but that is usually due to a less proficient interventionalist. This is a case where you want a very experienced doctor.

I got an angio-seal closure device which was great as I didn't have to lay still as long. I carried a card in my wallet for 90 days after until the device should have dissolved.

If you need a by-pass, certainly better to find out before the valve surgery. It will make your surgery a little longer but isn't a major concern. If they say they are going to do a by-pass, ask if they will be using mammary artery. That saves having to harvest vein from your leg. I don't know what determines if mammary artery can be used or not.

Good luck. Chances are huge, you'll have no difficulty with your cath.

Agree with Luana. First of all, remember, there's a good chance they won't have to do the bypass, but even if they do - that's very routine these days too. Just means an extra "wound" to heal up afterwards (where they take the vein out of your leg to use for the bypass). But again, if it's only 50% blocked, they may not need to do a bypass. They can and do also sometimes do what's called an Angioplasty, which is to put a balloon in the artery where it's blocked and open it up a little more - i.e. push the plaque against the wall of the artery is how I envision it. They told me that if they found my arteries were clogged during the angiogram, they might do the angioplasty right then, or if they were too clogged, then they'd do the bypass during the AVR surgery. Turned out I didn't need either, and you may not either. I don't know what the thresholds are for when they do one vs. the other, or do nothing. But it's gonna be fine, either way, honest!

Risk

Risk

At the risk of freaking you out some more, having the heart cath thing was one of the worse things I encountered before OHS. It was extremely uncomfortable and created an element of risk that I really didn't like. The element of risk is often downplayed, but take the time to read the consent paperwork you have to sign. I really wish they could find a non-invasive method to get the information a heart cath provides.

Yes, they typically punch a hole in an artery in your groin, and run wires and tubes up into your heart. Most folks are awake and get to watch what's going on on a monitor. When the cath is finished the hole in your artery gets a plug or a pressure bandage. You then get to lay still for a few hours to insure that the hole in your artery seals-up.

After dealing with a heart cath 27 years before my AVR surgery, I decided I would avoid ever having another one. There is risk. Back then, the guy I shared a hospital room with actually died on the table during his heart cath. After they released me from the hospital the wound on my groin opened and I started bleeding profusely. It was a weekend, so my cardiologist wasn't available when I tried to call him. I ended-up buying first aid supplies at a drug store and making my own pressure bandage.

Just prior to my surgery in 2007, I got the word that I would have to get another heart cath done. I really was uncomfortable with it, but they needed to do one to accurately assess what was going on with my valve. They did tell me that heart cath technology had come a long ways in 27 years... guess what, they lied. The only thing that was different was that they used a collegen plug to cap the wound in my artery.

Hopefully, you'll be more comfortable than I was or will ever be with heart caths. Perceptions and tolerances tend to vary among individuals. Perhaps you won't be as bothered as I was with the experience. Unfortunately, it is the only way to get the information they need so you have to deal with it.

Good luck!

-Philip

Blockage

Blockage

Yeah, the bypass thing is pretty routine. It's not a bad thing to know about potential problem issues and plan for solutions before they open you up.

-Philip

Hi Angel,

I had a cath about a month post op was totally freaked out about it. Got there and found out they were going thru my neck, so even more freaked out. But really, all thet freaking out was a waste of my time. Had no pain(they numb the area) just a little tickle as they moved the wires into my heart . And afterward was discharged less then an hour later (I guess when they use your neck, they do not use an artery but a vein so less time staying after)

Good Luck

Michele

My husband had many, many caths, some in the groin, a couple in the arm and a couple in the neck. He did fine with every single one of them and never complained, but he wasn't a nervous type of guy. They give you sedation and if you are nervous, just mention that, and I am sure they will take the edge off for you.

For some of them, you have to lie still for quite a while and they will keep constant pressure on your access area and that can be a pain to do, but it is necessary. I would imagine you could use that time to take a little nap. With others, they can insert a collagen (I believe) plug and then you don't have to stay as still. I don't know why some get the plug and others get a pressure dressing or a sand bag to keep pressure on the opening.

The last hospital Joe had a cath in was just a cath production line. They had doctors who did nothing else but caths most of the day, and a line of many curtained recovery rooms. They took about 20 minutes to do his and did both the right and left within that time. I didn't even have time for a cup of coffee before they set my buzzer off to come back to see him in recovery.

I've had 3 now and other then lying still for hours afterwards, it wasn't bad. I'm sure you can find some youtube videos of one to get an idea of what to expect. Yes, there is a degree of risk involved, but it's that way for anything invasive, not just the cath.

They did an angiogram on me also as well as a TEE and said my arteries were fine. Had they not been tho, they would have repaired them during the AVR surgery and i doubt i would be feeling much different today in my recovery . Best Wishes and keep a tickin.....:) Mike

Angel,

my cath was through the wrist, which is even less an issue, not really a big deal,

Think of the upside - that they will have even more/better knowledge to prepare for OHS and they do have a current objective of one time OHS, if possible
Angel it is time for forward thinking girl, the threadmill is on and follow the guidance of the pros, it'll be ok and you can only control what you can

Sounds like you will be walking in for surgery, which in my mind is so much better than being wheeled in

all the best next week and relax/distract this weekend

Angel,

just had a thought on my cath, if you are allergic to seafood as I am, the dye is based on crustaceans...let them know beforehand, so they can give you the necessary meds ahead of time

my cath was via wrist, groin is an alternative, but wrist was told is less an issue for patient if they can

I just had a cath today. Here is how it went down.

Arrived at the hospitals outpatient enterance at 6:00 am. I registered and paid my deductiable. I was given a map and followed it to the Cath lab. After waiting about 30 minutes I was brought back and my weight was taken. I was brought back to a pre op area where I was given a bed. I changed into a hospital gown and was given a pair of nice red sox with grippies on the bottom. They took my temp and my blood pressure. After a few minutes they started my IV LIne. I was given a Valium, A benadryl and an asprin. We waited another 20 minutes and then I was taken to the Cath. area. I was moved from my gurney to the table. I was shaven and then given some medicine through my Iv to bring me to a groggy state. They applied a local to the area and started to procede. I started to feel a pinch and they applied more. I only felt pressure in the area and could feel them moving the wire in and out and around by my leg only. They took xrays while doing it and then added the contrast (iodine). I was told it was done and was then transfered back to the gourney. THey applied bandages t o the area and was brought into a post op area. I had to lay there for 2 hours without moving my leg or neck. I was given a sandwich and some apple juice. The doctor came back and gave me my news. (which was if my surgeon was in town Id be having surgery today or tomorrow. I guess he told my wife my Aorta is approaching 6 and the stenosis was severe. My surgeon comes back after the fourth and the surgery will be the following week). I was told I was close to done and was allowed to get dressed. I had to go pee for them and then walk some so they would know Im ok. I cannot take a bath or swim in the pool but showering is fine. There is some slight pain from the area but nothing I would consider unbearable. It was pretty easy. Alot better than the one I had when I was 6. Its nothing to fear and its good for them to get this out of the way. I was told as for build up in the arteries that I was looking really good and there were no blockadges AT ALL.

Its nothing to fear. Besides some pressure you feel nothing at all. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back