What's a reasonable time before I can travel after OHS?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offwego

It's two weeks since second OHS and 2nd repair of MV...I've made other threads and posts and am doing really well but of course am not 100% and spend most days inside taking it really easy.

I was invited to visit a friend in Puerto Rico today but I as much as I'd like to go, I think it's (obviously) a bit ambitious to do or consider right now...I know it's hard to predict how I will feel but the recovery is faster than I ever thought and so completely better than the first.

I don't take any painkillers and am able to sleep on my side or stomach pretty well..it does hurt when I sneeze though...ouch!

I know I'm not supposed to lift more than "10 lbs" but i can easily carry a small back pack and wheel my small luggage around and have someone load it into and out of the cab and check it in for me...

I'm a little antsy and have serious cabin fever and would love to recuperate down in Puerto Rico by the pool for a few days..

Is 4 weeks reasonable...(I was gonna say 3 weeks but...that even though I can do it now (i know i can)...I imagine feeling pretty darn good in 4...)

Has anyone traveled (easy traveling here)...after OHS in such short recovery times?

Feedback always appreciated...I am seeing my cardiologist Monday and will ask his opinion of course.

Great question. Can't wait for the answer. - as we want to recoup in fla keys after mine in feb ! Good one. Thx.

how soon after OHS do you want to go to the Keys....That's really what I am talking about...going to Puerto Rico just to recoup and chill out with my ex fiancee (lmao....that just sounds so counter intuitive)....

But I've been to Puerto Rico many times and it's familiar to me which makes it easier...I can pack very lightly and just sit around all day just like I'm doing here...My incision is healing very rapidly...I don't see any real reason I can't go even next week if I really wanted to, if I pack lightly, and don't carry weight...I take cab to airport, flight, cab to hotel and it's the same thing as here..

as long as my meds are stable and my INR is stable too...just 3-4 nights....

I know I am ahead of myself a little here...before my surgery I thought New Years eve was too ambitious to travel...now look at me!

If I were married or in a relationship or had someone to go with me and carry my stuff and make it all easier...I could easily travel now if it were to go somewhere to just heal...

But that's not exactly the situation now and my guess is I should probably just force myself to calm down and wait about 4-6 weeks to do this and be able to go on the water and maybe do a bit more.

Well if all goes well I only need mini stern. - I'm hoping I can get back to the. Road & start my travels again by 6-8 weeks. Thankfully I do hv some who travels with me. Folks ? Am I being toooo ambitious - .? Dr feels I will be ok.

Re- the keys - They say if you have to ask. " what is there to do there - dont come". The keys is paradise and would be a great
Place to recuperate. As for p Rico - am guessing the same thing.

I guess it depends on a few things, beside the whole each person is different and in different shape going into surgerry, 1 of my concerns would be where are you going and what kind of hospitals are in the area. Even tho it isn't real common, its not unheard of to be doing great and end up back in the hospital 4-6 weeks post op for complications out of the blue. Some things like pericardial or plueral effusions (fluid in the sac around the heart or lungs) or weird rythyms or even deep infections can happen or showup in the first month or so.

Justin's 2nd surgery (toddler) he was home and doing great a little after a week post op. About 5 weeks post op I thought something didn't seem "right' so called his doctors and went to the ER (was middle of night of course) anyway he had so much fluid around his heart, he was admitted and had to have it drained. I would suggest since you were only going to go a few days, maybe you could get checked a day or so before, but even then, Justin had a check up/echo at 4 weeks that was great, so in his case it wasn't a thing where fluid was slowly building up, but it happened pretty quickly.

Just from here, it is pretty rare when people need readmitted after the first 2-3 weeks - IF they haven't have ongoing problems- so chances are you'd be fine.
FWIW Justin had alot of problems with an infection after his 5th OHS, he needed another surgery to clean everything up BUT he had a trip ( about 7 hours by car each way) planned for months. His valve surgery was 6/19 the 2nd surgery was the 29th the event was the 28th of the next month. He was discharge from the hospital 7/07 and left for the vacation on the 27th. He did fine. We did have a list of hospitals along the way, knowing IF something really bad happened he could be transferred back. Since the event involved alot of standing and long lines in the hottest time of the year, they took a wheel chair but I wouldn't worry about that since you plan on hanging out and relaxing.

Like you said as long as you don't lift or carry anything too heavy, that shouldn't cause any problems, just remember the first 4 weeks or so you shouldn't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. You dont want to risk screwing up your sternum healing.

Things can happen after surgery and once you're home. I had to go back to the hospital about 2 weeks after discharge for a-fib and a pericardial effusion. While they don't happen to everyone, they not unusual events after surgery.

I think the rule-of-thumb for traveling would be 6 weeks, as that's when most can get back to start doing most normal things after a sternotomy.

Nancy Jane, if you want to travel after surgery, I'd suggest no sternotomy, a smaller incision still cuts the bone, and a thoracotomy instead. I could be wrong, but I think you might feel better recovering closer to home knowing your docs are close, rather than somewhere where you don't have a doc. I'd say wait a few months and enjoy the trip more when you're really feeling better. You may not feel like doing much of anything the first month or two after surgery.

We are all different and when you will be strong enough for vacation travel will vary, of course.

With my cardio and surgeon's approval both times, we traveled after each of my OHS.

We flew from northeast to Fort Lauderdale, spent two days in a comfortable resort and then cruised for ten days after which we flew back home. My surgery had been late December and this trip was early March. For me, it was too early.
DH handled all carrying, lugging, and lifting but just going through the airport and all that involves, then down to baggage claim, out to the taxi, to the hotel, check in, unpack, change, down to lobby for bite to eat, out to the pool, back to room, shower, out to dinner......... Then the cruise. I managed fine but cannot say I really enjoyed. I was constantly tired and was always agreeing to whatever just to 'be a good sport'. I didn't want to hold everyone back from really moderate pace, reasonable activities so I went. I fell into bed each night and more than once was sorry we had come. We should have waited another month IMO

Second OHS, I had learned my lesson. We had booked a cruise sailing in Europe and required transatlantic flight to get there. The first thing I did when I learned I needed another surgery was cancel that cruise. My cardio again told me I could take a slow pace, relaxing, resort type vacation or Caribbean cruise if we wished at about 9-10 weeks. This time we chose to skip the cruise and just stay at the hotel we enjoy so much. WAY better choice and that trip I enjoyed. My doctor was happier with those plans, too.

Like you, offwego, I had a really good recovery. I was walking a mile and more very soon after surgery. I was meal planning, cooking, serving dinner, doing laundry (being careful with lifting) just about as soon as I came home the second time. But travel is tiring and you have to think of the worst that can happen. What if you are on that plane that sits on the tarmac for seven hours? Do you have the stamina for that? What if you have to stand in a security line for 1 1/2 hours....... it has happened to us.

Also, San Juan is fabulous. We have vacationed there and really love Old San Juan but I would not want to have a post OHS complication there. You will find a difference in the care available for OHS patients to be less than you receive in NYC. You must consider these things..... just in case.

I'm sorry it's so long but hope these comments give you something to think about.

wow JKM, that's such a great response...I got tired just imagining half of what you describe...I would have felt the same way (at best) doing all that post op the first surgery...I've taken several cruises and would not want to deal with all that unless 100% comfortable..

I've traveled to San Juan more than any other place...I think cabin fever is influencing my wanting to be somewhere else..but physical recovery is one thing, mental is another...There is still a feeling of extra vulnerability and even the fear of emotional ups and downs...I had wild feelings of unexpected depression 6 weeks post op the first time. I doubt it happens again but....it was powerful and very unpleasant...scary even thinking about it....but that was a very different time in my life, I had no idea i had needed OHS, I just moved into a big house alone in the middle of a divorce and had 2 young children...Things are much more stable now so hopefully that doesn't happen but i also don't wanna put myself in harms way to soon and a trip seeing my ex fiancee might be emotionally loaded to say the least....

As far as 'real' travel, that's my goal...I am fortunate that I don't have to work every day and can do some of it anywhere in the world...I'm a street photographer and look forward to traveling to warmer places this winter..

I guess I'll go to Puerto Rico for a few days when I feel up to it...be it 4-6 weeks after surgery...but by January it will be about 10 weeks...I hope by then I will be strong enough mentally and physically to travel...as good as I feel now, it's still hard to imagine full scale travel...it is exhausting to go places you have never been...Maybe I'll just keep it simple and go to nice places and learn to relax by the pool...not usually my thing...

As far as waiting in lines..."I just had OHS, I'm sorry but I can't wait in this line"....lol, I am from NYC after all!

"I just had surgery" statement brought me no relief. I got the blank stare, like........ so what? Don't count on compassion but welcome it if you are fortunate to encounter it.

"I just had surgery" statement brought me no relief. I got the blank stare, like........ so what? Don't count on compassion but welcome it if you are fortunate to encounter it.

you're not doing it right...try it my way...I say it and lift up my shirt....Got me 20% off when clothes shopping last week...seriously...i was an instant hit with the staff...a female would have done even better!

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?39130-Picture-two-weeks-post-op..

you're not doing it right...try it my way...I say it and lift up my shirt....Got me 20% off when clothes shopping last week...seriously...i was an instant hit with the staff...a female would have done even better!

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?39130-Picture-two-weeks-post-op..

I've had people in charge of lines etc not even care if a child just had OHS, so I definately wouldn't count on it from security. Stores are one thing, especially smaller one, but the rest of the world not so much

I know...I'm being a bit faceitious but truly it's all how you say and do certain things. If I were uncomfortable on a security line, I am certain I would not have to wait...I've done it before...it's not for everybody and perhaps takes an aggressive confident manner to do it...but if I don't feel well, I'm not gonna suffer...I travel a lot and know the ropes of the airports I use...but bottom line who needs to worry about stuff like this unless absolutely necessary?

I had a kidney stone on my first day of vacation in the Bahamas..it was a nightmare...when i finally was released I got the the airport and it was a complete disaster...I was going to miss my flight..I walked right to the head of the line past hundreds of people and simple said, I can't stand, I just got out of the hospital...I guess my shade of green worked in my favor!

I just got home from a 2 mile walk...and thought about this thread as I was out and imagined the airport experience and yeah, I'm in no rush to experience travel (right now at least)....perhaps if it were to return home to my pretty bride but not an ex fiancee who probably was partially responsible for breaking this old heart in the first place!

That's my new line btw..I've said it to just about every ex and gf...I'm so bad...lolol.

To answer my own thread question...My complete guess is I will be more fit to travel on a very light vacation at 4 weeks....at my current 2 weeks..i could but it would be ill advised...most likely I'd prefer at least 6 weeks before I could really enjoy myself and maybe even more time than that.

but to just go somewhere that's like a second home, and stay put, I'd say 3-4 weeks would make sense...but doubt I do it.

I'll post before i go...who knows?

Even if you are able to deal with all the airport Bull sh-t, I would be more concerned about a sudden infection,
fluid accumulation, HR spikes, etc. and not being near a trusted hospital.
January sounds good, after all the holiday travel has slowed down.

I traveled at 4 months and my doctors got a little upset with me, saying I shouldn't go.
Check with your doctor(s) and see what they say.

I also love Puerto Rico. It would be very tempting to me. As you know, there are a lot of great beaches to walk along. However, when one person in our party once needed medical care i was definitely unimpressed with the care available.

I also love Puerto Rico. It would be very tempting to me. As you know, there are a lot of great beaches to walk along. However, when one person in our party once needed medical care i was definitely unimpressed with the care available.

I know in San Juan the hospitals would probably be fine for me...But I am gonna listen to my doctor..he's a tough guy, won't 'coddle me' and won't give me bad advice either...

Latest posts

Back