Week 9 scar / tanline

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARGreenMN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Been protecting it with a strip of cloth in addition to 30 spf. Anybody have advice on when I can take the strip of cloth off? Thinking the skunk stripe might look kinda funny at the beach.

ScarWeek9-1.jpg

Looking good and your second belly button is getting smaller . I was tan before the surgery and sit out with a tank top on . Just pull my shirt up to cover the scar . Have had no problems and my tan kinda blends together . I would think at this point you could start letting the sun shine on the scar for a little bit each time and build up with sun screen. I've been using 15 spf with no problems .

I just asked this question Monday at my post op follow up. She said to give it a full year. Sun will darken the scar and then when your tan goes away...the scar will remain dark. I believe this because my son, 14 yo, just had appendix surgery in March. Just 3 little lines on his side, but he has been swimming and running around with shirt off and his lines are dark. He is proud of his scars so he likes it. I, on the otherhand, would like it to completely disappear. Robin
ps Andy you look great......

Looks great, Andy.
My doctors said a year with no sun on scar. I bought a sunblock stick (tube thicker than chapstick and spf 50) and kept applying that when in the sun. Kept my scar from burning or tanning for that first year and the effort has proved worth it. Even two years later, I'm careful to use sunblock on it but a lower spf.

You're healing beautifully.

Sorry Andy, as pretty as it is, you have to go a year without sun on that scar. Use a big thick sunblock frequently, AND wear a t-shirt over top.

You'll be happy next year that you did.

Too much sun is not good for you, anyway.

Ah, I learn something every time I come in here! I didn't know about a sunblock stick, but am gonna look for one! That would make it easier to get it just on the scar (my finger is too wide and the regular sunblock stuff gets all over...). I had another scar last year (had a mole removed) and it got dark (probably because I didn't ever put sunscreen on it). So I tend to think Robin's info is accurate. I'll keep my shirt on this year, or at least keep using that strip of cloth just to be safe. Heck the summer is almost over in Minnesota anyway. Thanks everyone!

hey andy how about a little self tanner to blend in the scar? i have been airbrush tanning and put lotion on my scar so it doesn't get sprayed then blend it in later with my own self tanner. ill post a pic when i get a chance! your scar is looking really good though! isn't it amazing how fast the chest tube indentations begin to fill out and look "normal"?

Well, I don't think my second belly button is looking normal yet, lol, and honestly I don't get the impression it ever will (based on the doctors reactions when I've asked about it). But that's ok, I'll survive ;).

But most of all, thanks for the advice on the self tanner!!! Another great idea that I never would have come up with on my own. I think you told me before, but I forgot - where do you get stuff like that??? I may have to check into this concept of airbrush tanning too - I think you said that saves mucho time laying out, lol. Just think how much more time I could spend on here, or on facebook if I didn't have to lay out!

Careful when you post that next pic. You don't wanna give us dirty old men a heart attack (pun intended)!

Jergens makes a decent self tanner you can get at Wal-mart about $8 per tube. I use it so my legs don't look fishbelly white in shorts. I haven't seen the sun much this summer.

I've also heard good things about one by Banana Boat.
Also you can go to the cosmetic department at Macy's or other department stores and ask the clerks what they have: L'oreal, Clinique, etc. etc. make some upscale tanners, but they are pricey.

Whatever you get, you have to let it that dry before getting dressed, or it may stain your clothing!

You can find the Jergens tanner in CVS, Walgreens type stores as well. There's a choice of lighter or darker tanning.
It's very natural looking, I think. Another good self-tanner is L'Oreal Sublime Bronze.

Look for the sunblock stick by Banana Boat in CVS. That's where I bought mine.

Wow, thanks guys! I guess I'm WAY behind the times, lol. My impression of those self-tanning type things goes back to the 70's when they turned you orange and caused streaks, etc. But sounds like they've come a long ways since then. So, great info, thanks, I'm gonna try 'em!!!

I'm not sure I would put a self tanner on a scar this close to surgery. THey have alot of different chemicals in them, so I don't know how safe that is.

maybe if you really want to make it blend in so it isn't as noticable you could brush on a bronzer

Been protecting it with a strip of cloth in addition to 30 spf. Anybody have advice on when I can take the strip of cloth off? Thinking the skunk stripe might look kinda funny at the beach.

ScarWeek9-1.jpg

You could let your chest hair grow out. I see that you're wearing a tawdry shirt you borrowed from the Emperor who got new clothes. (-:

I have to wait 'till I'm done with cardio rehab before letting the chest hair come back ;) Those sticky things at rehab hurt too much with hair! I wasn't planning to put self tanner on the scar itself, just the white area next to it, being careful not to get any on the scar. Yea, I'm still trying to figure out what the heck a tawdry shirt is..... Is that a brand name or something?

Looking Really good Andy, looks like your top bump is pretty much gone and pretty good line up on 2nd belly button (smile). not too scary for the younguns any longer.

Not sure about the requirement for all this high tech, sunscreen, sunblock products, I've been taking some sun straight up in moderation and all is fading, including the scar.

Gil

yep andy i dont put the tanner on the scar, just blend it in next to it as close as i can. i use the loreal sublime bronze stuff someone else mentioned. it works great, just be careful of putting too much on and being darker then the rest of your body!

Latest posts

Back