Watch those nurses when they remove your catheter -

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake

With many of what most would consider minor complications considering the surgery I underwent behind me, I am finally looking forward to the future with some unbridled optimism.

This last Friday, I finally got my answer regarding the much labored urination post surgery and I wanted to share it with you folks. What I found out floored me on several fronts.

First and foremost, I am not mad that the nurse in the ICU who removed my catheter forgot to deflate the balloon that holds it in severely damaging my urethra. It kind of bothered me, however, that they tried to make it sound like pissing blood for three days was actually normal!

Second, going to the urologist was a trip! The first urologist had no interest in hearing my medical history, after telling him I was having difficulty urinating, he ordered CT scans, prescribed multiple medications (alpha blockers) and attempted to net his hospital about 10 grand in tests. After having some concerns about this course of action, I went to another hospital system to get a second opinion and what occurred was shocking. The 2nd urologist strongly objected to taking an alpha blocker (flomax) when the prostate was clearly normal by all accounts. He became angry that a licensed doctor went right from Jump Street to a CT scan, knowing how many I have already had. He prescribed a single ultra sound and a cystoscopy. Sure enough after listening to my history, and looking in the urethra, it was clear that there was damage done from the catheter removal. Fifteen minutes of manipulations in there and I am back to pissing like a 20 year old again!

Bottom line folks, as if there were not enough to think about in the ICU and step down unit, ASK QUESTIONS! Do not sit back while folks poke, prod and yank stuff in and out of you. I knew something wasn’t right about the removal of my catheter when she was pulling on it like she was starting a lawn mower, but I sat quietly and let that idiot damage my body! She risked infection and caused me a great deal of distress. According to my second urologist, this type of mistake happens quite frequently and most think they have to live with it.

Also, for Gods sake, if you have insurance that allows you to get a second opinion, GET IT!

Thanks for posting this; I still shiver when I remember the pain of removing that catheter, although mine was nowhere near as bad as yours.

Jake that is a horrible jaw dropping
shock.gif
experience that I can see you running from
24.gif
run.gif

Unfortunately there are occasionally "stupid" nurses working amongst some really great ones.
Good thing that you trusted your instincts and common sense....I'm sure your pisser will thank you for that with
many years of pain free whizzing. ;)

I'm sorry you went thru this but happy to hear you went for a 2nd opinion and were able to be helped. I also would be angry at the first urologist who wouldn't lisen to you andd oderred unnecessary tests.

I hate to bring up other things that can go wrong, but I just wanted to mention maybe the nurse did (or thought she did) deflate the catheter, but it could have been either a faulty catheter and the balloon didn't deflate the whole way, or had a small kink it in.

Luckily it isn't real common, but when they went to remove Justin's cath post op affter one of his surgeries, the balloon wouldn't deflate, so they tried a couple things before they just had to yank it out..his was easy to tell it was faulty since it didn' deflate at all, but they also can just deflate partway which they might not realize,
Heres an article about removing nondeflating catheters http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000915/tips/4.html

Last edited:
Did you report this inappropriate procedure to the Charge Nurse, your admitting Physician, and the Hospital?

If not, you SHOULD!

If the people in charge do not know about the problem, it could be repeated again and again.

'AL Capshaw'

Wow that sounds brutal. My removal was OK. My first pee afterwards was interesting though! It was like a sputtering tap...You know when you turn off the water in your house for a bit, and turn it back on, then the first time you use a tap......A bit embarassing since the nurse was about my age (30) and just stared at me as I was laughing (in pain from sternum). Don't ask about the first #2!

If that had happened to me, I would be pissed!! Sorry, someone had to go there... :)
I cringe at the thought of what occurred to you, but feel strongly that you need to let the 'higher ups' know what went on to ensure this doesn't get repeated. Glad to hear that you are back to your 20 yo level of ability in that arena! BTW - love the lawn mower pull start analogy...

I was always more paranoid about that @#$% catheter for the ~3 days I had it, than ANY of the (12??) other extra "funny" connections I had between my body and the outside world! When I was moving from the CVICU to by wheelchair and elevator, I obsessed to make sure that thing was where it had to be, and secure. Sure enough, one of the nurses pulled the bag a bit too far away from me once -- not amused at all! I've always thought of that region as "where I live", and that catheter often drew my focus away from my heart and my sternum (and my art tubes, and my 12-lead monitor, and that damned triple-alum tube in my jugular, and. . . .)!

The good news about this experience -- apart from the fact that our lives can be saved by incredible modern medicine -- is that these discomforts and indignities usually last only a couple of days, which really is not a long time in the scheme of things. And typically, the whole time you're in the hospital post-op, they keep doing things (removing tubes and wires and hoses and leads) that take you one more step closer to "normal", and to home. . .

Latest posts

Back