Under the knife in less than 3 weeks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Guy

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a week or so. I'm SO glad I found this forum. I have had so many questions already answered by reading old posts.

My name is Doug. 49 years old with a bi-cuspid aortic valve and severe stenosis. Surgery planned at Mayo Clinic Rochester Mn on July 27th. I've known this day was coming for about 10 years and seem to have my head around the idea. I expect a good result and don't have too much anxiety.

I'm planning on choosing a mechanical valve and have a question regarding cuomodin.

Does taking glucosamine and or saw palmetto have a problematic affect on my INR ratios? My Cardio doc thought no for the glucosamine but didn't know for the saw palmetto.

I look forward to your replies and feel like I know many of you already. I'm going to tell my Cardiologist to forward this site to his patients.

new guy

Hi New Guy......I have a new mechanical valve and am on coumadin. I don't use Saw Palmetto but assume I know the reason you do. I take Doxasozin for the same problem and it is a very cheap generic drug and has absolutely no effect on my coumadin levels. You do have to be very careful on supplements as many do interact with coumadin levels.Best of luck on your surgery. You soon will be another member of the "This side of the mountain" Club. Take care.....Mike

GLUCOSAMINE (in Glucosamine) may interact with WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin Tablets)

Chemicals in glucosamine may reduce the blood's ability to form clots. When taken together with drugs like warfarin that also decrease the blood's ability to clot, glucosamine can increase the risk of dangerous bleeding. Individuals who take both may need more frequent blood tests to make sure that blood is clotting properly. Those who experience problems may need to stop taking glucosamine until warfarin is discontinued. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Last Updated:February 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GLUCOSAMINE (in Glucosamine) may interact with SAW PALMETTO (in Saw Palmetto)

Both glucosamine and saw palmetto contain chemicals that may reduce the blood's ability to form clots. When taken together, they can increase the risk of dangerous bleeding. In general, glucosamine and saw palmetto should not be taken together. Individuals who take both may need more frequent blood tests to make sure that blood is clotting properly. Those who experience problems may need to stop taking glucosamine, saw palmetto, or both. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered minor in severity.

Last Updated:September 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAW PALMETTO (in Saw Palmetto) may interact with WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin Tablets)

Chemicals in saw palmetto may reduce the blood's ability to form clots. When taken together with drugs like warfarin that also decrease the blood's ability to clot, saw palmetto may increase the risk of dangerous bleeding. Individuals who take both may need more frequent blood tests to make sure that blood is clotting properly. Those who experience problems may need to stop taking saw palmetto until warfarin is discontinued. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered minor in severity.

Last Updated:September 2005

Everything can be adjusted for. If you take it now, keep taking it while your dosage is established. Also, eat just as you always have. Don't buy into the skipping high Vit K content foods rubbish.

I know you didn't ask about this, but I saw you are a pilot. I'm not sure what kind, but IF it is your job, have you asked if having a valve replacement or being on coumadin, will make a difference as far as your work? I know some pilots don't have any problems being able to fly, but others have to really fight to be able to go back to their job. It might depend what kind of pilot you are or if this is your job and not more of a hobby, what the employer says.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, mechanical valve replacement will render a pilot "unlikely" to hold a medical. The Coumadin regime is deemed too high a risk for professional flying however multiple tissue valve replacements are acceptable....go figure. It certainly plays into my research as to what valve to select. This is the quote from our regulators here:

"In view of the risk of thromboembolism, associated cardiac dysfunction, valve failure and bleeding secondary to anticoagulation, prosthetic valvular replacement will disqualify most applicants. Such a level of risk will preclude individuals with a bioprosthetic mitral valve from flying. Where the cumulative risk of incapacitation due to these factors
can be shown to be less than 2% per year in those with a mechanical prosthesis and thus comparable to the acceptable level of risk with other conditions, an applicant may be considered fit. "

Thanks Mike. I'm glad to know there is an alternative out there. I assume Doxasozin is an over the counter drug? I've never heard of that one.

Hi Neil,

Based on your picture it seems you did alright with the nurses your self. Me? I'll have to keep m,y hands to myself as my wife Tammy will be there to take care of me.

Hi Lynlw,

I am a professional pilot flying a private jet for an individual. (I fly a Global Express, which can fly anywhere in the world with only one stop) I have communicated with the FAA and learned that AVR with cuomodin therapy is a disqualifying condition. As such, in the FAA's wisdom they deem this condition to merit relief from the original rule by providing a "special" waiver every 6 months. I'll have to jump through a bunch of hoops to regain and maintain my FAA medical every 6 months. But I am assured by them that it will be possible and I'm not the first to do so.

Doug

Hi Lynlw,

I am a professional pilot flying a private jet for an individual. (I fly a Global Express, which can fly anywhere in the world with only one stop) I have communicated with the FAA and learned that AVR with cuomodin therapy is a disqualifying condition. As such, in the FAA's wisdom they deem this condition to merit relief from the original rule by providing a "special" waiver every 6 months. I'll have to jump through a bunch of hoops to regain and maintain my FAA medical every 6 months. But I am assured by them that it will be possible and I'm not the first to do so.

Doug

Good Luck, I know some people have done it it seems to involve alot of test and paperwork and showing that your INR is stable for a certain period of time. It's really not my business and personal but did you consider a tissue valve for that reason?

ps sounds like a fun job, as long as the person is nice

Hi Lynlw,

Doug

I was going to say oh yes you can, but they make you jump through a bunch of unnecessary hoops. Thing is, if you want to keep at it, you know you have to do it. Seems the FAA examiners think INR is a constant number and it is NOT.

Hi Doug. I don't know anything about those other drugs you're on, although what Ross said makes a lot of sense to me - just keep taking 'em while establishing your Coumadin dose and I bet you'll be fine. But wanted to say hi 'cause it looks like we have a few things in common. Four letters in our first name, bi-cuspid aortic valve with stenosis, surgeries in MN and going the mechanical / Coumadin route. Are you from here or are you just coming to the Mayo for the surgery? I'm from the Twin Cities area (Woodbury to be exact). I did the same thing about this site - told my cardiologist, surgeon's team and primary care doc about this site. I think it should win some kind of award (Nobel? Emmy? Golden Globe? Oscar?). And whoever started it should get a purple heart (pun intended)!

Hi Andy, Thanks for your note. I'm not from MN but did go to school in the cities at the U of MN. I'm from the Chicago area and live here still. I knew that when I had my surgery I wanted to go to a place like Mayo or Cleveland Clinic, and Mayo was a much better drive for me. I feel like I've made a good choice. I've made 2 visits preparing for this surgery and I have been very impressed with them, although my Cardiologist can't tell me which brand and model of valve they will give me until I speak with my surgeon. (I did meet with him already but didn't know enough to ask what kind) I am hoping it will be an On-x or a St Judes Regent. I guess I'll learn on the 26th which is my pre-op day.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'll be interested to see what INR range you end up on with either of those valves.

I went to the U of M too (Mechanical Enginneering). I graduated from there in '85 - wonder if we were there at the same time since we're both 49.

Hi Andy, Thanks for your note. I'm not from MN but did go to school in the cities at the U of MN. I'm from the Chicago area and live here still. I knew that when I had my surgery I wanted to go to a place like Mayo or Cleveland Clinic, and Mayo was a much better drive for me. I feel like I've made a good choice. I've made 2 visits preparing for this surgery and I have been very impressed with them, although my Cardiologist can't tell me which brand and model of valve they will give me until I speak with my surgeon. (I did meet with him already but didn't know enough to ask what kind) I am hoping it will be an On-x or a St Judes Regent. I guess I'll learn on the 26th which is my pre-op day.

Dude it's your body and your life. Tell them what you want. Don't let them decide. It's alright for them to have a back up plan, but seriously, get what YOU want.

Thanks malibu82. I appreciate your good wishes. I took a look at your pics. Your girls are beautiful. I can understand if you want to have a third child, I have 3 boys. Just remember with 3 kids you and your husband will be outnumbered!

Ross, Your advice is just what I was hoping to hear. It just makes common sense to try to live a life normally and not try to change long lived habits while adjusting to life after surgery. How long will it take to get my INR figured out fairly well? I hope and look forward to being a self tester.

Doug

Lynlw, I did consider the bio-valve but I just don't want this surgery again in my future. I do realize however there are no promises that it won't happen again for some other reason. The FAA said the special tests and requirements for maintaining my FAA medical would be the same for a bio valve or a mechanical one. I'll just need to include my INR info for the mechanical.

It is a fun job, and we have very nice people in back. I miss it already, I told them 2 months ago I was done flying till I get this behind me. I wanted to take some time to spend with the family and have some fun this summer first.

You're right of course and I agree. I have scheduled another meeting with my surgeon the day before to discuss that very thing. I just don't know which valve models they have to use. My Cardio doc said he doesn't know anything about it and when I asked the surgeon when I saw him he replied "the cheapest one" meaning they all are functionally the same and he has little preference. I'll be happy with either of the latest models and was told by my Cardio doc they use the latest up to date valves and they use different brands also. I just want to know which ones. I suspect they don't like a patient to be influenced by advertisements and show up asking for one or the other prior to surgery armed with a little info found online. But I am surprised at the feigned ignorance.

Latest posts

Back