TV Documentary on AVR Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

REDJPD

Hi All,
A documentary was on BBC TV last night that I feel is very worthwhile watching for anyone awaiting surgery. This programme followed a number of surgeons in the Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast performing avr surgery and by-pass surgery and shows footage of actual operations.
Follow this link: www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/tv/programmes/superdocs

Having come out the other side of AVR surgery I know of the fears and apprehension those of you awaiting surgery are going through. I hope those of you who follow the link will find it useful.

John:)

this has to be the one Bad Mad is in. I am downloading it as we speak but am on dial up and it might take til tomorrow for me to view it. thanks for the link.

this much from first programme but I didn't get pictures; just this article:

Coronary heart disease is one of Northern Ireland’s biggest killers, claiming over 2,000 lives here every year. The Royal Victoria Hospital has developed one of the most experienced cardiac surgical teams in the UK, supported by the hospital’s
cardiology department. Their team of heart surgeons perform over 30 major operations every week.

In the first programme of the new series Superdocs, starting on BBC One NI on January 26 at 9pm, we meet cardiac surgeons Gianfranco Campalani and Mark Jones, and the patients whose lives they hope to improve through surgery.

Gianfranco Campalani, who has lived in Northern Ireland for the past 14 years, is one of the Royal’s leading cardiac surgeons.
Born and educated in Italy and trained in London, Gianfranco has over thirty-five years’ experience in heart surgery.

One of Campalani’s patients is Kevin Madden from Randalstown, Co Antrim. In 2001, Kevin was a rising Antrim GAA star until a football injury requiring hospital treatment revealed a more serious problem – a leaking aortic valve in his heart. At the time he underwent surgery and received a replacement tissue valve. But in 2007 Kevin discovered his valve needed replacing once again and after a consultation with Gianfranco Campalani, he faces the prospect of more open-heart surgery, Kevin continues: “At the end of the day you’re going in for open-heart surgery and it’s the second time around. None of us are immortal and that’s something you have
to consider, but Mr Campalani is a skilled surgeon... and I hope he’ll do the operation to the best of his ability.”

At 38 years old, Mark Jones is one of the youngest cardiac surgeons in the Royal. Mark, from Fintona in Co Tyrone, grew up on a farm and originally wanted to be a vet before training as a heart surgeon. In the documentary, Mark says: “It is a very
rewarding thing to do. There are patients who need a major intervention to improve their quality of life, and to do that is intensely rewarding.”One of Mark’s patients is 65- year-old Belfast man Hedley Roger. A retired businessman, Hedley was suffering from dizzy spells and was diagnosed with aortic
stenosis, where the main aortic valve – the valve which pumps blood around the body - has become dangerously narrowed.
Surgeon Mark Jones knows Hedley urgently needs an operation, to remove his faulty valve and replace it with an artificial one, which could save his life.Superdocs is a new three-part documentary series on BBC One NI which offers viewers a compelling insight into the work of Northern Ireland’s top heart, brain, breast and plastic surgeons.

In the second programme of Superdocs, on BBC One NI on Monday, February 2 at 9pm, we meet neuro-surgeons Steve Cooke, Jabir Nagaria and David McAuley at the Royal Victoria Hospital who operate on a lady who has cerebro-spinal fluid leaking from her nose, a lady with a spinal tumour and a gentleman with a brain tumour.

In the third and final programme of the series, on BBC One NI on Monday, February 9 at 9pm, we meet plastic surgeos Brendan Fogarty at the Royal and breast surgeon, Sigi Refsum at Belfast’s City Hospital. We meet Brendan as he treats a young man with serious burns and Sigi as she helps a woman recently diagnosed with breast cancer.

Superdocs is a DoubleBand films production for BBC Northern Ireland.

Ann, I think I remember that - but didn't he come to Florida or somewhere for the surgery??

he came to Florida for a vacation before his surgery in Northern Ireland. It was filmed and was to be shown on BBC recently. (like last week) and he gave us the link. I think this is the link, too. I checked in hoping for the whole program but only got an article about it. (above)

Maybe he will check in to give us more info on how to watch it - the next articles will deal with other patients, as mentioned on the home page.

Thanks for that RedJPD,
I just watched it ... Fantastic little film, very interesting. I'd no idea an old aortic valve would look so wrecked, it's a wonder they work at all.
It certainly throws in a few more considerations for valve choices in younger people too ?
Worth a look whether you're post OR pre surgery.
The surgeon Gianfranco is a star, a lovely man with a great outlook.

Have a look.... The link at the top takes you to a preview but there'a link to the left of that .

Thanks,
Justin

JKm7... As I said above.... When you folly the link, on that page to the left of the intro video it says "Watch Matters of the Heart" . Click that .

Yah.... I saw what you said above and I did that.

Video didn't play.

Glad to see it wasn't just me being stupid or something.

have you tried using a uk based proxy server ?you can google free proxy servers and enter it in control panel >internet options>connections>lan settings >tick use proxy sever > enter proxy and port apply>then open internet explorer and hopefully you should appear in the uk!!
list of proxies here !! so you appear in uk when using internet explorer
http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-country-GB.htm
you may have to try a few to get a working one

believe this poxy works ! address 83.136.1.154 port 8118

I had'nt a clue this thread was happening in my absence!!

Hopefully Deano's suggestion might work for some of you.

Gian Franco is a star- no doubt- he's kept me on the planet on two seperate occasions! ;)

Interestingly he was interviewed minutes prior to the operation, and said something to the effect:
"I am not looking forward to this at all. This is a very difficult operation."

After I had been opened, he cut into the left atrium, and the heart-lung bypass machine stopped, with the result of the oxygen to the brain ceasing.
This continued for two and a half minutes, at which stage they got it under control. Panic stations big time :D

However the humble and honest nature of the man came through post-op when he admitted on camera that he had made a mistake, and that it was his fault. Personally, my feelings were not directed towards the blip, but rather how he responded to the situation :) Top man.

I had a few friends who were apparently shouting at the Tele:
"Do something quick for jesus's sake! :D

I reminded them afterwards that it was only a repeat ;)

Latest posts

Back