Tissue valve deterioration - signs, symptoms, etc.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other words, IMO, your choice to take it personally when someone expresses support for tissue valves, or opposition to mechanical valves

no, I take it personally when they attack me.

I have said many times there are reasons to choose Tissue Prosthetic as well as there are reasons to choose Mechanical. I always say they are your dice to roll and only YOU live with the choice you make.

I just want to give people the other view (which I strongly believe is not well represented factually here).

If you're feeling is to choose a Tissue Prosthetic then by all means choose it. You will not find a case here where I have derided or criticised anyones choice. That I identify members of the group here who have had a tissue valve fail (predominately younger members btw) is done as carefully as I can to not make them feel worse.

As I keep saying ... know the facts make your choice. There are many parameters of each persons particulars to which I am not priviy ... and so I can not say X is better than Y for them.

Unless someone actually comes out and says that "people who choose mechanicals are unwise for choosing that"

well when they come out demanding me to support my view ... and I do then provide peer reviewed journals to support my view and they accuse me of 'rambling on' or 'you can find anything to fit your argument if you look for it' I can only consider its personal or evidence of their ignorance. (many people seem not to be able to differentiate peer reviewed journals from "I read it / heard it" somewhere)

So if you don't have anything better to do than go around sledging me (you know, like provide information or encouragement) then I request you stop harrasing me.

Personally, i have never found Pellicle posts agressive. He is sometimes sarcastic, but that is part of his good sense of humour.
Recently, there have been many members critizising him, some very politely and others not so much. If this goes on, i see a chance that he will stop posting. And the forum will lose one of his best (in my humble opinion) contributors. After all, as Agian said, we are all in the same boat here. And we all want the best for others, independently of their decisions.

Just my 2 cents...

.......I don't need the additional stress of reading your sarcastic lectures right now...

Huh....your two, and only, posts have been nothing but "sarcastic lectures". I'd suggest you do a lot more reading and far less posting until you have something to add. I recently posted a thread that was intended to be sarcastic...."fourteen stitches and I didn't bleed out". After years of reading the myths about ACT, I couldn't resist an opportunity to be a little sarcastic......so why not direct some of your venom towards me.......BTW, I trust you know what ACT means.

i suppose like any big family which i think we are, you are going to get people who just dont get on, as everybody knows when a family get together the sparks usually fly, as midpack rightly pointed out we all have our views,

I have always found Pellicle's posts very helpful and informative. I've never detected any aggression in them. I hate it when some forum members criticise him like has happened and I try to ignore those posts - I've seen that kind of thing go on on other forums and I do think we have to realise that when writing messages some people are prone to misintrepret them, mainly becasue we can't 'see' the person writing them and do not always appreciate what they are saying. We are all in the same boat here together and I can't see the need for discord personally.

Quote Originally Posted by neil brewer View Post
if this carries on we are going to drive so many good people away from this forum ,which is such a shame

It already has and it is a shame

FWIW the study mentioned in an earlier post about how many tissue valves needed redos, was interesting in that several times thru out the study they say

background— Several centers favor replacing a diseased native heart valve with a tissue rather than a mechanical prosthesis, even in younger adult patients. However, long-term data supporting this approach are lacking. We examined the survival implications of selecting a tissue versus a mechanical prosthesis at initial left-heart valve replacement in a cohort of adults <60 years of age who were followed for over 20 years.

comorbid and procedural data were available from 6554 patients who underwent valve replacement at our institution over the last 35 years. Of these, 1512 patients contributed follow-up data beyond 20 years, of whom 567 were adults <60 years of age at first left-heart valve operation (mean survivor follow-up, 24.0±3.1 years). Late outcomes were examined with Cox regression. Valve reoperation, often for prostheses that are no longer commercially available, occurred in 89% and 84% of patients by 20 years after tissue aortic and mitral valve replacement, respectively, and was associated with a mortality of 4.3%. There was no survival difference between patients implanted with a tissue versus a mechanical prosthesis at initial aortic valve replacement (hazard ratio 0.95; 95% CI: 0.7, 1.3; P=0.7). For mitral valve replacement patients, long-term survival was poorer than after aortic valve replacement (hazard ratio 1.4; 95% CI: 1.1, 1.8; P=0.003), but again no detrimental effect was associated with use of a tissue versus a mechanical prosthesis (hazard ratio 0.9; 95% CI 0.5, 1.4; P=0.5).

Conclusions— In our experience, selecting a tissue prosthesis at initial operation in younger adults does not negatively impact survival into the third decade of follow-up, despite the risk of reoperation.

furthur down under death they mention
ithin AVR patients, the 20-year actuarial freedom from valve reoperation was 11.4±3.5% in those initially implanted with a tissue prosthesis, versus 73.0±4.9% in those who received a mechanical aortic valve (HR: 3.9, tissue versus mechanical; 95% CI: 2.6, 6.3; P<0.001). The median time to reoperation was 10.2 years in tissue AVR patients, and beyond this cohort’s maximum follow-up (ie, >35.0 years) in mechanical AVR patients.

Similar observations were noted in MVR patients, where the 20-year actuarial freedom from reoperation was 15.8% ± 4.6% with tissue prostheses, versus 65.0% ± 9.6 with mechanical prostheses. In MVR patients, the median time to reoperation was 11.8 years with tissue prostheses, and 24.4 years with mechanical prostheses.

The perioperative mortality associated with initial valve reoperation in this cohort was 10 of 235 (4.3%), and no mortality occurred at subsequent reoperation. These rates were not significantly different between implant sites. The impact of reoperation as an overall cause of death in this cohort was not significantly different between tissue and mechanical patients, both within AVR patients as well as within MVR patients (HR: 1.9, 95% CI: 0.2, 4.7; P=0.5)."

and Stroke
Stroke
Thirty-five patients in the cohort died from stroke. The 20-year freedom from death attributable to ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke was 97.9±1.2% in tissue AVR patients, 83.9±4.9% in mechanical AVR patients, 96.1±1.9% in tissue MVR patients, and 85.6±5.3% in mechanical MVR patients. After adjusting for coronary artery disease and atrial fibrillation, the use of a mechanical valve was a significant risk factor for dying from stroke in either implant position (for AVR, HR: 7.0; for MVR, HR: 4.5; both P<0.02)."[/B]

That of course is just people who died from stroke, it would be interesting to know how many people had strokes but survived and how well they were doing or had permanet damage..

So pretty much as most people say BOTH valve types are very good and have problems, Tissue valves WILL need replaced at some time, in higher rates for people less than 60.. BUT as this study showed, the vast majority of being getting a Valve REDO do great.

Mechanical valves last longer, and most likely will not need it replaced, it has happened to members here.. but because they are more prone to clot, they require aniticoagulent, which increases the bleeds, most major bleeds do fine but risk increase for internal bleeding like GI or Brain., even WITH the newer valves, INR and Home testing the risks are still about 1-3 % chance of major bleed and about equal chance of clots and major srokes.

True information IS important, it is also important to get facts for both valve types.

In the years I've been a member there have always been members who feel strongly for one valve type or another, but the difference was it didnt get personal..if it did it was stopped. Maybe it would help if people can share info with out insulting either members who chose different, or insulting the members here as a whole, or a Country you dont like, and try to accept that there ARE risk for both choices. Things are improving yearly, but even w/ the best surgeons w/ most experience working on REDO, things happen , luckily for the most part they do well with a full recovery. On the other hand even tho the newest mech valves are better than earlier models and improvements have been made, INRs were first being used, home testing ALL helps keep INR more stable, but there still are many people who have major life threatning bleeds or clots each year.

So some people prefer the chance of the risk for REDOs , while others pref to take the risk of the yearly chances of having a bleed or stroke.

Last edited:
At the risk of seeming to throw gasoline onto the fire (that would be exciting, wouldn't it?), I can see where pellicle's approach might strike some people as overly assertive or argumentative. If you feel it that way, then maybe the best thing for you to do is (as we say in amateur radio) "spin the dial" and move on to another post. While I may not always share his viewpoint, I do feel that he has a lot of information and experience to offer to those who can receive it as he presents. Yes, he can be feisty. Even difficult, at times, but his heart is (IMHO) in the right place.

This site has always worked very hard to make all information, all opinions and experiences available to people who will be facing the turmoil heart valve surgery can bring. We have, for the entire time I've been around, always had our "wars" about valve choice, but I think the "official" viewpoint of the site has been that the choice is yours and yours alone. We all just feel emotionally involved with whichever choice we've made, and it is natural to cheer on our own teams. I don't think pellicle has ever called me "stupid" for choosing a tissue valve. He has indicated that he would choose differently, and I understand how he came to his opinion.

That said, I feel it is incumbent upon all of us to present our opinions, facts and experiences in a manner such that others can benefit from it. If we want to disagree so violently that it may upset the members at large, maybe we should take it off-line to the PM arena. IIRC, there is a way to include multiple recipients in a PM thread, so why not use it?

[Hank - If I've over-stepped my bounds as a member, feel free to edit or PM me about how to proceed.]

Oh, and I'll step down from my soapbox now. . .

Internet forums breeds conflict due to the faceless method of communication and people's human nature. Overall this forum is one of the calmest I've ever seen. Try bladeforums if you want to see action. They ban someone every day. If people leave due to the conflict on this one thread, they really don't have much internet experience.

Nobody forces anyone to read someone else's post. That being said, if you do read a post you find annoying, nobody forces you to respond. Stay on topic not on the person and it's possible to ignore even the most annoying person :)

having read the above posts i think its time to chill out a bit, i have been a member for a long time and never had so much as a bad word toward a member,so am going to take a deep breath and count to ten, i love this site and the people you get on here, time for cake i think,

anybody else for choc cake ?

Chocolate cake? Did someone say chocolate cake? Let's slice it up, pass it around, and enjoy with a glass of cold milk (or your choice of another beverage)….:biggrin2:

Early in my tenure here (I joined in '05) I got entangled in a valve war or two -- but I am resolved, never again. I learn from people of all persuasions on this issue (and others), and if some are a little intense, I understand their passion and give it a pass. Ultimately, as is said here often, it comes down to an individual decision. When I was making my own choice, I made a list of pros and cons for each type, and benefitted from all the advice I received here. I have friends of long-standing here, and I value them highly.

I do think that tempers generally are under control better on this site than they are on many other Internet sites.

Peace be with you all.

The car reference made me remember a comment I said to my cardiologist after my 1st surgery. It was some time later and he said my new valve/graft looked good and my mitral was now leaking moderate. I was annoyed and said why didn't the surgeon just fix it while he was in there (this was 1989), as it seemed to be getting worse faster than I'd hoped. He looked at me like I was nuts and said your body isn't like a car, the surgeon just can't go in there and fix everything.
I must admit this still annoys me, that my mitral wasn't addressed at that time. But, in those days, a 6cm aneurysm was rare in a 34 yr old, and I guess my surgery was long for those days. And I suppose that surgeon knew, of course, that I'd need my tissue valve replaced in average of 8-10 yrs, but I didn't know that until much later in time. So, he figured I'd get the mitral done at that time. Oops, that didn't happen,either, as I was too sick to have it done during my 2nd surgery, too.
I would like to say that of course the valves are good, and either one will do the trick, but really, it's the redo operations that might give people problems. And not just the surgeries, but the tests leading up to them are also risky. The few of us that have gone thru 3 or more surgeries have experience, and opinions, and I must say I am bothered a lot by the comments that are tossed at mechanical valve recipients. My surgeon has said he believes people should make the choice to go with the least number of redo's. But, it seems now that people are going for redo's because the literature says it's not that bad to have more operations, and the tissue valve 'is expected' to last 15-20 yrs or more. Those of us that have had many surgeries can probably see that our hearts are not the same as they were after the 1st surgery.
Our bodies go thru a lot during these surgeries!

Hi Gail, nice to "see" you again! I've been gone a long time.

I haven't read this whole thread (and skipped the fight too), but figured I'd chime in on the original question because it exactly fits a conversation I had with "my" (?) surgeon on Tuesday evening. He said he prefers to put in porcine tissue valves over bovine valves because their failure mode is easier to observe and detect via echocardiograms. He said they tend to tear at the end of life, making them regurgitant and giving the patient shortness of breath. Meanwhile, bovine valves become slowly stenotic over time and it's harder to evaluate them externally. He also said the stenosis tends to make the patient feel bad over a longer period of time before the reop.

As for the old tissue/mechanical argument, he said that at his age (51) he would go tissue because his practice has the same risk rate for 2nd surgery as for the first. Earlier in the conversation, he said warfarin wasn't a big deal, but he wouldn't want to have to be on it. Ultimately, he supports whichever type of valve his patient prefers. He said that he used to do about 50/50. Now it's more like 75% tissue because the newest ones last longer than they used to.

Still, I'm leaning toward mechanical...

Michele and Gail,

I fully understand your preferences. I chose tissue for the first replacement - and a bovine at that. I was already "expert" at understanding and tracking a stenotic valve, and if the failure mode of the bovine valve is to stenose, then I know what to watch for.

As for a potential re-op, for me it would depend upon my age at the time. If it happens sooner rather than later, I would probably go mechanical. If I am finally "elderly" at the time of re-op, I might choose tissue again. Either way, I will have gotten what I wanted the first time - more years without anticoagulation, while I'm still active enough to bang myself around. I know a lot of elderly patients who have been prescribed warfarin/coumadin at an advanced age, and they do fine with it. So, if I need it when I'm "older" - so be it.

So, for me, there are no "bad" choices. At a given point in my life, some are better than others, but that does not mean that those choices will forever be the best for me.

Steve - You have not overstepped your bounds. Your observations are correct.

It is a challenging thing when we have conversations about things that are literally near and dear to our hearts.

As long as everyone keeps their tone of type respectful, we will all continue to learn from each other.

Back