Tissue valve deterioration - signs, symptoms, etc.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I've had my bovine since June of 2005 and according to the cardiologist, the valve is functioning fine.
excellent news. I'm glad to hear it

I've never heard of clots being thrown by a tissue valve that's wearing out much less at seven years.
is that because you've saying you are so widely researched and know so much, are an authority on this subject and you've never heard of it or that you you just haven't heard of it?

During our lives there is much we come across for the first time. The less you travel and learn however this tends to slow down after your twenties.

My advice is to not worry about how you'll know when your valve is wearing out. ... so live your life without the burden of needless worry.

that's excellent advice, I seriously agree with it wholeheartedly. What I object to however is people contradicting facts when it simply doesn't fit within their comfort zone.

Hi Gail ... firstly how's the leg recovery?

Uh oh, people are attacking mechanical valvers opinions, again.

often the case. I suggest that if MV recipients were as agressive about their opinions and righteousness as the TV recipients we could really get worked up here. I'm sure its probably happened in the past.

for me its MEH whatever

I have gone thru the tissue valve deterioration, so I'll tell you what happened to me....That's my story.

I'm glad you're still with us. :)

my observations on the reasons why discussions are frequently counter productive.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.fi/2011/08/why-discussion-gets-nowhere.html

The small youtube science video is worth watching no matter what.

5976867218_9b67264944_m.jpg

Hi Mike

But you do have and portray a bias towards mechanical valves, which is disappointing as both options have significant benefits but carry different drawbacks

which is interesting considering how many times I even state "either has benefits" or the choice is "win win"

my suspicion is about your own (perhaps un-noticed) bias that if I'm not bashing mechanical then I must be against tissue. This is simply not true of me.

My opinion is that there is an amount of mis-information in the marketplace (and what a shame that its a consumer market place in some ways) and that at the deepest levels the information is out there but ignored. All I wish to do is remind people of the basics and then they can decide from a position of knowledge.

If you look at my posts (which when forming an opinion about me is a big ask I know) you'll find that I've even suggested to people (who were asking which should I choose) that from what they've said a tissue would be their better choice.

I think you'll find that the position I usually support is almost exactly that stated by the medical community:
  • under 60 yo and tissue will probably not last you without reop - so consider those issues carefully
  • over 65 yo and tissue will likely last you the 20 years without reop - although you may end up on warfarin for other reasons so using warfarin as the choice determination is flawed

that's it in a pithy nutshell ... there is more details but suffice to say that's the primary two sets

and I do take the criticism as constructive and thank you for giving it without reservations.

PS: please keep in mind that I have had 3 OHS. Starting from when I was about 9
  • a valve repair attempt
  • a homograft at 29 (which is a tissue valve)
  • a mechanical at 48
so I have been around this all my life, I have had a tissue valve and I now have a mechanical valve. I am not against tissue valves (if that wasn't aready clear) and followed in good faith the doctors recommendations on all occasions.

I was offered the choice to have a tissue at 48 but a 4th reoperation would have been a certainty. This makes / made my decision clear.

I'm sorry you have gotten the wrong idea that I am against tissue valves. I'm just against the people who are somehow against mechanicals as if people who choose mechanicals are unwise for choosing that. Something which I feel exists here in much greater proportions than the other way round.

Best wishes

Last edited:
Hi

excellent news. I'm glad to hear it

is that because you've saying you are so widely researched and know so much, are an authority on this subject and you've never heard of it or that you you just haven't heard of it?

During our lives there is much we come across for the first time. The less you travel and learn however this tends to slow down after your twenties.

that's excellent advice, I seriously agree with it wholeheartedly. What I object to however is people contradicting facts when it simply doesn't fit within their comfort zone.

Pellicle, I'd like you to post the paragraph where you gleaned the following statement from: I read that it is not uncommon for them to begin throwing clots in the last few years of their life. So warfarin therapy may be suggested at something like the 7 year mark.

Thanks for asking about my leg saga, Pellicle. I peeled off the duo patch yesterday and it is looking more healed than less healed. Nurse said to put another patch on for a week and then see how it looks. The antibiotic seems to have worked this time around, and I'm glad for that! Melanoma removal on the shin is the pits!
Your points about the 2 valve choices are very valid. I don't know why some people get so worked up.
I did want to reiterate that I had no symptoms at all when my cardio said I would need my porcine replaced in about 6 months! Even before the cath, no symptoms.
I only began to feel bad after my failing valve was compromised with a fluid overload. Then, SOB, severe back pain ( I couldn't lie down, had to sit up, even in the ambulance), and major feelings of dread, like I would die if I didn't go to the ER. And these symptoms happened very quickly.

pellicle, Sometimes to much info is not really helpfull,and although you do mean well it comes across some of the time as being a bit overly assertive, and i have gotta say like duffy where do you get some of these facts from? gail i really do hope that you dont think this is mech bashing as i think you know me better than that, i have good friends mech and tissue, pellicle just try to be more laid back and not so sarcastic when people disagree with you, the sad thing is we are all family on here and we all know what its like to have valve problems, i admit i have spat my dummy out on here a few times, but overall these are good people on this forum,

I think people should be allowed to express themselves freely, as long as they're not malicious. We shouldn't be with-holding information we think is important, in case someone gets upset.

If someone has a particular style, then we just need to take that into account when we read their posts. If we disagree with something, then we should feel comfortable enough to challenge it.

I think people should be allowed to express themselves freely, as long as they're not malicious. We shouldn't be with-holding information we think is important, in case someone gets upset.

If someone has a particular style, then we just need to take that into account when we read their posts. If we disagree with something, then we should feel comfortable enough to challenge it.

I agree with you

Neil

thank you for your thoughts.

pellicle, Sometimes to much info is not really helpfull

yes, I recognise that. Its a personal failing of mine that I work with. My close friends often end questions to me with "the short answer please" if they suspect its going to get technical.

I am often worried that the simplification of the answer will result in problems. Also there may be people other than yourself who find that the extra detail is helpful ... so its a double edged blade.

and i have gotta say like duffy where do you get some of these facts from?

I usually give citations or URL's ... so if there was something I said which interests you, that I didn't identify a source for, please let me know and I'll see where I fished that out from. Other than that I often state its my understanding or some such thing.

From my research days (or should that be spelt daze?) I use a citation manager database called endnote. That and Google helps.

pellicle just try to be more laid back and not so sarcastic when people disagree with you,
well I'm trying ... but being an Australian from country upbringing its a bit like so natural to me to say things which I interpret as acceptable among my workmates and friends, but in this "society" seems not ... Canadians often lament that USA people are impolite ... so its probably as much cultural as anything.

as a matter of issue, your own remark:
pellicle dont know where you got the info on tissue valves throwing clots of and warfarin being mentioned at the 7 year mark ? never heard of that one
seemed to be phrased from a position of sarcasm itself. I interpreted it as a feigned denial and implied that what I said was false.

I do believe that I answered you question on that as succinctly yet as thoroughly as possible. I am of course not an expert so I only read and interpret things. If you disagree with the sources or the interpretations then please by all means discuss that with me. I do not want to be the source of misinformation myself.

Further as you go on to say ...
i admit i have spat my dummy out on here a few times,

so we're all human, we're all operating under some levels of stress (some of us are recovering from surgeries and others are in the midst of things ...), so anxiety can get the better of anyone.

I'll do my best ... as I hope others will to....

Hi Gail

Thanks for asking about my leg saga, Pellicle.

and it *has* been a saga ... sorry to drag it out here, I should have PM'd you as its not related to this thread content ...

it is looking more healed than less healed.

Glad to hear that!!

Melanoma removal on the shin is the pits!

sure seems to have been annoying! Still, better out than in as they say ;-)

Your points about the 2 valve choices are very valid. I don't know why some people get so worked up.

I've wondered about that myself. Perhaps its because people like to feel they're "rooting for their team" ... a bit like people getting worked up over Mac vs PC or iPhone vs Android. Some people buy on the spur of the moment then bag everything after that (like the Production manager at work who'd just bought our section a new video camera system)...

Ultimately we each make personal decisions. The big difference for me though is that rigor in that decision process, as if I don't like my phone or PC it doesn't have such an impact on my life as a heart valve.

best wishes on the leg recovery ... personally I'm really curious to know why it has taken so long to heal and what (if any) role INR had to play in that. That would be very useful research.

I am stunned by these VAC bandage systems (read quite a bit on them while I was stuck to one for a few months) and reckon they should be more standard for deeper wound healing in people like us (on warfarin).

Pellicle, I'd like you to post the paragraph where you gleaned the following statement from: I read that it is not uncommon for them to begin throwing clots in the last few years of their life. So warfarin therapy may be suggested at something like the 7 year mark.

Pellicle, in an earlier post, you questioned my anecdoctal statement where I said that I was unaware of tissue valves throwing clots at seven years, thereby necessitating ACT therapy. This thread is about tissue valve deterioration, posted by a member who has already received a tissue valve. The thread is of interest, I would think, to those who now have a tissue valve. Therefore, your statement, and this is the quote, I read that it is not uncommon for them to begin throwing clots in the last few years of their life. So warfarin therapy may be suggested at something like the 7 year mark, may cause concern to members with tissue valves. That is the reason I'm asking you to provide the source, the actual paragraph or page, of the statement so each member can evaluate the information for themself.
Thanks

Hi

may cause concern to members with tissue valves. That is the reason I'm asking you to provide the source, the actual paragraph or page, of the statement so each member can evaluate the information for themself.
Thanks

A fair and reasonable request. So, as I qualified in my responce here.
I have read (for instance here) that people how were having stenosis and calcification of their valve had been placed on warfarin. I did not ask them why. I'm sorry that I have not been so through as to note the thread numbers. I also read it in that mayo presentation too.

For intance in the mayo presentation (here) when he discusses the more complex reasons for the higher mortality he makes the following case reviews:

- 77 yo had severe heart failure. It could be said that this was
'Gods hand' for 77 year olds. Its not true that tissue valves don't
thrombose, they do. If not identified it can be confused with heart
failure. Patient is now anticoagulated
This patient would have died for lack of diagnosis, of thromboembolism.

[edit: 26:05 in the presentation "in this case thrombosis rather than calcification"]

- another patient 56yo (an MD) had neglected aortic regurgitation
[edit: 27:00]
- another patient 22yo had a tissue (wanted a family) and came back 3 years later with
thrombosis of the tissue valve.

I did not mark the actual minutes of the presentation, but it is in the last 3/4. The player does not allow fastfowarding so you'll have to go through it or wait for it to load.

also in that above post you (here) will find citations (with underlines) with other suggestions of thrombosis. I am uncertain about the possible times that it can occur, but as these things seem to have a broad range of failures (we have a member here who got less than two years from his before failure) the possible ranges are quite wide. I chose 7 out my head for that seemed a midway point between 2 and 15 that is the reason for that figure.

I will quote them again for your convenience
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/119/7/1034.full
The risk of thromboembolic events is higher with mechanical than with bioprosthetic valves,

you will note that it does not say zero risk.

the other quote was:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1861363/
hrombosis of a bioprosthetic valve4 is a rare occurrence when compared to mechanical prostheses.
it is possible that I'm misreading that.

what do you think?

Lastly I reiterate the question which I was answering from the original poster:
Here is my question: how should I expect the deterioration of the tissue valve to go, and when will I know that it needs to be replaced? As the tissue valve deteriorates, does it regurgitate or does it become stenotic? Are there certain measurements or results on echocardiograms that I will want to play close attention to that "track" the deterioration?

Please note also that he stated himself
I know I will need to get it replaced perhaps 10-15 years from now.

Within that context I feel my answers were not alarming to general tissue valve recipients, and reflect pertinent answers to his questions.

PS: I have just reviewed that presentation and the relevant data is at about the 20min mark into the presentation. Photographs are part of that.

some further reading:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/753144
Of 415 Hancock valves implanted in 370 patients, 26 valve specimens were recovered at postmortem examination and 8 at reoperation. In 9 of these 34, thrombosis had formed without apparent alteration of the heterograft tissue (Group A). All were mitral prostheses, and the thrombi were attached to the sewing ring. Six of the patients died in the early postoperative period following prolonged low cardiac output syndrome and coagulation disturbances. Three patients had late valve thrombosis 12 to 26 months after operation and were in chronic atrial fibrillation with a very large left atrium
*[my note, post mortem implies they may have died from thrombosis as the paitient in the may clinic presentation very nearly did.}

This data seems to be about mitral, may therefore not extend necessarily to Aortic ...

link from a maker:
General complications potentially associated with the use of bioprosthetic
heart valves include: leak (transvalvular, perivalvular),... structural deterioration (intrinsic and extrinsic calcification, leaflet perforation or tear,... valve thrombosis, thromboembolism.

from the journal article "Catheter Balloon Valvuloplasty of Stenotic Porcine Bioprosthetic Valves:
Part I: Anatomic Considerations"

Part I of this review discusses the pathologic processes responsible for degeneration of
porcine prostheses: intrinsic calcification (mineralization), cuspal tears and perforations, and cuspal thrombosis (noninfective).

so one does not have to stretch the imagination far from the median to find that it is possible. I'm not saying its common, I'm not saying you'll have this complication, all I'm saying is that it happens, enough that its written about in many places and knowing about it could save your life.

:)

Part of the difficulty may be semantics. The use of a double negative in the phrase "not uncommon for them to begin throwing clots" may be confusing; since I do not believe Pellicle meant to say "common for them to begin throwing clots in the last few years of their life." However sometimes I don't really understand myself :)

I read that it is not uncommon for them to begin throwing clots in the last few years of their life. So warfarin therapy may be suggested at something like the 7 year mark.

This is simply not true, unless of course you can back that up with specific data. I am impressed by the "loaded" wording of your statement though:

"I read". Where did you read? Show us what you read. OK I saw what you read when asked to provide a link. What I read doesn't even remotely resemble what you said in your statement. I strongly disagree with your interpretation of what you read.

"It is not uncommon". LOL! I did a little research myself and there tends to be two reasons that double negatives like this are used. One is to say it's more than uncommon but less than common...somewhere between the two. But you don't have stats to back it up. The 2nd reason is to disguise BS.

"the last few years of their life". OK...how many is a few?

"may be suggested". Or may not?

"at something like". LOLOL! Did the article really say "at something like"?

I will quote them again for your convenience
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/119/7/1034.full
The risk of thromboembolic events is higher with mechanical than with bioprosthetic valves,
you will note that it does not say zero risk.

the other quote was:
hrombosis of a bioprosthetic valve4 is a rare occurrence when compared to mechanical prostheses.
it is possible that I'm misreading that.

what do you think?

I think you are misreading it (continue reading and I will get to the "rare occurrence"). And to take it a step further you have embellished in your own words in addition to misreading it by using "not uncommon", "may be suggested", and "at something like". Nothing screams misinformation like the ambiguity used in your statement. I read your link carefully and NOWHERE does it state or even suggest that late stage PVT is an issue in bioprosthetic valves. I am sure that in RARE cases a tissue valve could throw a clot late in their life, but I doubt it's "not uncommon" enough to where there is any kind of protocol to deal with it, as it is simply not a common, or even an uncommon problem, but a rare problem. Any issues with tissue valves and clots would be during the initial postoperative period when endothelialisation of the suture zone is not yet complete.

Here is that word "RARE" again (from the link below).

Prosthetic valve thrombosis (PVT) is a rare but serious complication of valve replacement, most often encountered with mechanical prostheses.

Thrombosis of a bioprosthetic valve is a rare occurrence when compared to mechanical prostheses.

So this article considers the odds of "0.3–1.3% patient years" of PVT occurring with mechanical valves as rare. Then it goes on to state that PVT occurring with a bioprosthetic valve is rare when compared to a mechanical valve (that would be rare² for us laymen :D). I did quite a bit of searching and I could not find any stats about late stage postoperative clotting issues with bioprosthetic valves, and I worded the search in a number of different ways to see if I could find something. Dr. Google could not come up with a single mention of it. I did find this article (linked below) which generally discusses thrombosis of prosthetic heart valves. I have to assume that if one cannot come up with a single article that has specifically studied late stage PVT in bioprosthetic valves, then it must be a rare occurrence.

I do commend you for doing research for those who are not savvy with searching the net. I would be cautious of presenting it as fact however. Unless of course you are a MD who is willing to back up what you post as fact. You should always link any information where someone may take it as fact so they can decide for themselves. I don't visit here nearly as frequently as in the past (all of my parts are working as designed at this time :)), but it seems when I do visit I tend to run into posts by you which often seem to be either incorrect or incomplete. That is fine on a forum debating politics or religion if you feel the need, but IMO it's not acceptable on a forum dealing with life and death issues like this forum. LOL this was the first thread I opened after not checking in here for a couple of months. I will go crawl back under my rock now. If I don't make it back ahead of time, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D

BTW some of this post is meant to be sarcastic humor, and none of it should be taken personally. If you look at my join date you will see that I have been here (off and on) for almost a decade. This place was a life saver for me in the beginning and I stuck around for several more years trying to help others going though the same journey that I had been through. I'm all for members here providing as much information as possible to help the new person understand their condition and their options. But in the distant past we seemed to have more "old-timers" here who made sure that misinformation was pointed out, and they also had the power to remove it if it became a recurring problem. When it comes to information concerning the subject matter discussed on this forum, members should always err on the side of caution rather than make statements that they are merely interpreting as a layperson. The information should also be directly quoted (and linked) from established medical literature. Just the opinion of an infrequent "old-timer" who still likes to wander by from time to time and see how everyone is doing.

This is simply not true, unless of course you can back that up with specific data. I am impressed by the "loaded" wording of your statement though:
"I read". Where did you read? Show us what you read.

I can only guess that you didn't read anything I posted.

I strongly disagree with your interpretation of what you read.

fair enough ...

"It is not uncommon". LOL! I did a little research myself and there tends to be two reasons that

well I'll admit that I did not sit down and put days of thought into a quick reply to a fellow. As has been observed this turn of phrase has probably caused most of the issues.

However I am quite certain that you (and others) have taken what I said and extended it beyond what I was saying for the sake of hammering home to anyone views that you know are wrong. To be specific the view I am meaning is "if you have a tissue valve it will not cause thrombosis problems"

If I changed this to:
"it has happened that" and added that "because people assume that it cannot it can cause problems and delays in diagnosis" would that make you easier with my statement and the supporting evidence?

At the end of the day neither you (MD or otherwise) or me really know more than we read in the literature. If you do have your own research and publications I would assume you'd have posted them and explained your findings.

I would be cautious of presenting it as fact however. Unless of course you are a MD who is willing to back up what you post as fact.

I did not present it as a FACT, I never present anything as FACT I only speak in probabilities. Please show where I said that "IT IS A FACT THAT..."

and even if I was an MD, what difference would that make? Cardiac specialist yes, but MD no.

I will go crawl back under my rock now. If I don't make it back ahead of time, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D

happy new year to you too :)

BTW some of this post is meant to be sarcastic humor, and none of it should be taken personally.

thanks for the qualifier ... and thanks for the inputs.

The information should also be directly quoted (and linked) from established medical literature.

That is a fine ideal. You may note that I actually do that in more cases than almost anyone else here. However I doubt that it will become the norm.

Lastly what I object most strenuously to is the impolite way in which this has been questioned and not discussed. It has seemed like the spanish inquisition.

I simply stated something in an attempt to help and while my wording could be (and has been) called into question my assertions have been backed up by some evidence.

None of this 'questioning' was done with any regard to courtesy or how I may feel about the delivery. I'm just some inconvenient nail to hammer down. If you truly believe your statement of:
But in the distant past we seemed to have more "old-timers" here who made sure that misinformation was pointed out
then what am I if not an old timer? Is not 3 surgeries over a lifetime, degrees in and a master degrees in research something which may qualify me as an old timer? Or is the sole qualification in being an old timer just one who has joined here years ago had one surgery and then used the board as a social media alternative?

The attitudes displayed here are what would drive away anyone who sought to help. There is a distinct lack of respect here and an assumption that "I'm right" especially on the side of tissue valve support. My opinion is at least those of us with mechanical valves know what we have, know that it has issues and research it, the tissue valver supporters all to often fall into the "its fixed for 20 years, no need to worry in that period". That strikes me as dangerous.

Car accidents are rare ... yet we wear seatbelts

Here is that word "RARE" again (from the link below).

So this article considers the odds of "0.3–1.3% patient years" of PVT occurring with mechanical valves as rare. Then it goes on to state that PVT occurring with a bioprosthetic valve is rare when compared to a mechanical valve (that would be rare² for us laymen :D).

yes, rare ... my initial intention was to suggest it happened. Unfortunately my choice of words was bad, as discussed. You will see that rare is not NONE.

now, to your interpretation. I feel that you are mixing points up here. The article you cite (which I think I cited or at least read)
You say:
So this article considers the odds of "0.3–1.3% patient years" of PVT occurring with mechanical valves as rare.
no it doesn't the article says:
The incidence of obstructive PVT for mechanical valves varies between 0.3–1.3% patient years
it does not mention this as a reference for rare.
In the paragraph following that paragraph it says:
Thrombosis of a bioprosthetic valve4 is a rare occurrence when compared to mechanical prostheses. Bioprosthetic PVT is usually diagnosed in the early postoperative period, when endothelialisation of the suture zone is not yet complete. Hence, this has led to the recommendation of anticoagulating patients with bioprostheses for the first three months postoperatively, particularly for mitral prostheses.

It make no reference to the above paragraph and so we are left to wonder what the authors regard as 'rare'. So I feel that this article is not discussing late valve degradation.

Further its own citation is for the article "High risk of thromboemboli early after bioprosthetic cardiac valve replacement"

which does not examine end phase of valve life. Which as you go on to say
I have to assume that if one cannot come up with a single article that has specifically studied late stage PVT in bioprosthetic valves, then it must be a rare occurrence.

That's an assumption, and one which I'm inclined to agree with, after all I never stated this as being common. But there are other reasons, one being research funding and another being research inclination.

My own research for my masters had (by definition) never been done before I did it. So scarcity of research itself does not imply no problem exists.

You did not address my point at post 34

Which was indeed a study of late valve state. I will refer to that again as you asked
Thrombosis and degeneration of Hancock valves: clinical and pathological findings
26 valve specimens were recovered at postmortem examination and 8 at reoperation

hard to get later in valve life than that... I am unable to read more than the summary due to me no longer having good research access to this, however I would ask what this means:
Three patients had late valve thrombosis 12 to 26 months after operation
if not thrombosis from the valve ...

So in brief summary my evidence is not at the irrefutable stage, but it should entreat the enquiring mind to wonder about what happens in late valve life? (you know, answering the question I was asked, not just taking my answer and applying it to anything you like)

Some papers for your to read on late valve thrombosis:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22066356
This paper is from 2011
Bioprosthetic valve thrombosis is an unexpected complication which has no guidelines for its management
Unexpected ... so, is it unexpected because its rare, or simply (previously) rarely diagnosed? I have cited another source which mentioned 3 such diagnoses already.
A 70-year-old female presented 10 days after a stroke, three years after having undergone mitral bioprosthetic valve implantation
so three years and then
A review of the literature shows that late non-obstructive bioprosthetic valve thrombosis, as diagnosed with TEE, is a rare condition that can be successfully treated either by anticoagulant or thrombolytic therapy
which suggests that something is written about it and so inability to find anything on Dr Google does not mean its not there. This also fits nicely with what I said which caused all the trouble. Let me go back to that:
I read that it is not uncommon for them to begin throwing clots in the last few years of their life. So warfarin therapy may be suggested at something like the 7 year mark.

now, if I was to re-word that to:
I read that it possible to begin throwing clots in the last few years of their life. So warfarin therapy may be suggested at some nebulous time which I won't say anything about because I'll get jumped on.

Note that the article suggests successful treatment by anti-coagulation therapy...

There are other articles which I would post links to but I see that none of the protagonists is reading what I say anyway.

http://www.onlinejase.com/article/S0894-7317(09)00578-1/abstract
Bioprosthetic valve thrombosis is considered extremely unlikely, thus usually allowing patients to avoid long-term anticoagulation.

This represents my last post on this matter.

think its time we moved on, being a brit i am short and to the point am sorry pellicle that you have taken peoples responses personally, but as agian said if people disagree with statements we have a right to respond,

Back