Tissue valve anniversaries over 10 years?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rr3972

The majority of TISSSUE valve anniversaries I'm seeing are one or two years. Why are there not long term ones? ( over 10 years ) I'm on my fifth year now and would like to see some encouraging posts.

I think the reason you don't see more longer term tissue valvers is because most of them move on from here after their initial surgery. They aren't on coumadin, so don't need on going support for that. A few of us with them hang around to offer support to newbies, but most have gotten the support they need at that time in their life and then go on to live!

I think the reason you don't see more longer term tissue valvers is because most of them move on from here after their initial surgery. They aren't on coumadin, so don't need on going support for that. A few of us with them hang around to offer support to newbies, but most have gotten the support they need at that time in their life and then go on to live!

I agree. I hit my 7th year with a bovine valve in early June, and my latest echo indicates I'll have it for a substantially longer amount of time. Although it's nice to hear from those who post about the longevity of their valve, it really has no impact on my present circumstances and will have no impact on future decisions concerning valve choice. If you've got five years in, I hope you feel secure with your choice. Life is too short to second guess or fret over decisions that are made.:smile2:

I agree. I hit my 7th year with a bovine valve in early June, and my latest echo indicates I'll have it for a substantially longer amount of time. Although it's nice to hear from those who post about the longevity of their valve, it really has no impact on my present circumstances and will have no impact on future decisions concerning valve choice. If you've got five years in, I hope you feel secure with your choice. Life is too short to second guess or fret over decisions that are made.:smile2:

Also this site is only about 12 years old, and most people looking for information and support on valve replacemnts are those who need surgery or run into a question or have a problem. Most people who are doing well and had their surgeries before this site was founded, wouldn't join.
Then there is the fact out of the thousands people who did join before their surgery, only a tiny percentge still are active. If you think about it there arent that many active membe whose mechanical valves are much older than this sit, and some(NOT ALL) members with mech over the years who joined after their surgery , found it when they were searching something about Coumadin or home testing.

BTW Justin bovine valve is a couple months older than Duffys, 7 nears now, his is pulmonary tho

Last edited:
yea agree with above posts, a lot move on after there ohs, a lot of threads on here concern anti coags etc and most tissue valvers are not on that,

I think that each of the other comments is spot on. There is also the fact that only in the last 10 years has the wide use of tissue valves increased. Only in the last five years have some major facilities such as Cleveland Clinic began using large numbers of tissue valves. It is well to remember, however, that the statistical life of a heart valve cannot predict the life of your valve (whatever the type); statistical studies describe groups not individuals. In the mean time, we try to stay as healthy as possible to support our cardio vascular systems.

Larry

I think we will know a lot more over the next 10 years or so, as each new generation of tissue valves is projected to have longer life spans. As these age, we will find out how accurate the projections are.

It is just like in the stock market -- past history does not project future performance. . .

Check in with me in another 6 years in 2018 and I will tell you how my tissue valve is doing on my 10 year anniversary.:rolleyes:
John

I would love to see some longer term anniversaries as well. I am on year five with my pig valve. I need 10 years!! I have a 7 year old, 3 year old and 10 month old. i would love for them to be older before heart surgery comes around again!

Exactly.
Most tissue valvers only come here pre op and for a short time post op. Once they are back on their feet, they seem to drift away.

I promised myself I would stay around here to see if I could offer a supportive word as this board helped me so much after my first OHS (not valve) and through my second surgery when I had bovine valve placed in mitral position.

My valve is 4 1/2 years young. :)

Latest posts

Back