Tired a lot, but no problem when I exercise?!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deck1434

Age 49, been getting tired a lot more lately...early afternoon at the office...drinking a lot of coffee to get thru day...wondering...aortic valve 80% calcified, waiting for "symptoms". Also seem to get indigestion nightly. Wondering if these are perimenopause symptoms or possiby CHF...when I do exercise, however, I have no breathing problems or chest discomfort...guess no one can answer that except the Cardio...Dianne

How are you sleeping at night? Is the indigestion when you are trying to sleep? If you are having sleep problems that may explain some of the tiredness.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,
I sleep ok, but I had a bad cough a month ago and am still coughing somewhat...had to sleep on my stomach for weeks, trying to get rid of phlegm...just now seems to be getting better. Felt like when I slept on my stomach my breathing was labored unless I propped my head up a bit on 2 pillows, but that may have been due to the congestion...just starting to freak myself out. My Dad had an AVR last month, due to old age rather than my bicuspid valve problem. I took him to the hospital, stayed with him, visited him 2x's a day at rehab, etc. Brings everything to the forefront...my kids are relatively young (9 and 12) and my husband has been out of work for a year, so I'm the "breadwinner". Once my "symptoms" appear, I fear for my kids, and everything else... Plus, I'm a smoker...my husband was in a psych ward in November and in outpatient rehab Dec and Jan, which has caused an increase in my smoking...I know that will only speed up my surgery date...I'm sorry! Not having a good day for some reason.

Thank you for responding!! - Dianne

Dianne, I'm sorry you're not feeling the best at the moment. It certainly seem that you have enough stress going on in your life to be causing some of your problems. How long has it been since you've had a check with your cardio? Have you picked and surgeon and had a consultation with them yet? As some of us have experienced, cardios have a tendency to want to postpone surgery until the last moment whereas surgeon's are more likely to be a little more proactive, before permanent damage is done to your heart. I don't have a bicuspid aortic, so am not familiar with the triggers for surgery, but doesn't hurt you to be prepared.

Sorry for the bad day, tomorrow is a new one, hopefully it will be better.

Kim

I had some of your symptoms. As time went by I was more tired but, wasnt short of breath.Our body adjusts to the extra load on our heart to a point.Being tired could be a result of the extra load.The changes for me were slow but, steady.I agree with kfay you should get prepared.

I never had any noticeable symptoms at all, at least at sea level where I live. I was SOB when exerting at high altitude, but that's all. My valve went from 1.1 to 0.9 to 0.7 cm in less than a year after it was discovered, and I got it fixed after the surgeon I consulted said my first symptom could be my last. Symptoms are used commonly as an indication for surgery, but valve and heart condition (extent of LVH, reduction in EF, elevation in pressures) should be considered even if you seem to be tolerating them well.

I did the same thing! accomodated to where I was - believe me "tired" is a symptom - or as the anesthesiologist said right as I was getting wheeled into the OR this summer - while your "numbers" may have been average/okay and the medicines had the bp down to a "normal " range your poor heart was still working overtime and as if it had a 200 bp.......we are going to go in and give your heart so much more blood and so much less stress

a nice way to look at it -

If anything is going to make matters worse for you,,, it is the smoking. Next to eating slat pills, smoking it the one thing that will destroy a compromised heart. I smoked at one time when things were not going to well, so I get it. It will not only make mmatters worse it will kill you. Just being honest

Oh my dear, you've had a lot on your plate. Go see your cardiologist and let him/her help you, at least to know what is going on, if not to intervene, or to give you some expecation as to what to expect and what to be looking for.

For what it's worth, I was bicuspid, made worse by endocarditis. I was told that someday the valve would have to be replaced. Over the next 16 years, I reduced activity, gained weight and grew tired. It was a downward sprial. Caffeine kept me going until the combination of enlarged heart and caffeine set off palpitations that sent me to ER. That started the surgery consulations and surgery process for me. I wish I had seen my caradio before the palpitations sent me to the ER. The good news is that my situation was caught in time - before permanent damage. Hoping yours does too. So that's my suggestion - go see the doc right away.

I agree with all the others. My aortic valve also declined slowly at first, then more rapidly. Tiredness and heart burn were definite symptoms in my case. Both disappeared after surgery. My wife again remarked the other day that I have not had a bout of heart burn since the surgery, while I suffered from it most of the time before. Not sure about the reasons but I probably mistook heart burn for the signals given off by a very distressed heart. My advice is to discuss the situation with a surgeon. My surgeon galvanised me into going for the operation when he said that sudden death is also a symptom of AV stenosis!

I can identify a lot with what you're saying, and it sounds like the timing of all this is far from ideal. For what it's worth, here's my experience. My AVR is scheduled for this coming Monday, but I still have few symptoms (it's hard to know sometimes, though, b/c I don't know what "normal" feels like). However, my heart has very recently become severely enlarged and my aortic regurgitation has also become severe. The crazy thing is, I still tolerate exercise extremely well. Several weeks ago, in fact, right before my last echo showed just how bad things really had become, I ran a half marathon without pushing too hard and still finished in the top 5% of the field. I really don't want that to sound like I'm trying to brag... I've been running a long time and a half is a fairly easy distance for me, so I wasn't out there trying to be a hero or anything... My point is just that we all seem to respond to our valve problems differently. I my case, my cardiologist feels that even though I don't have many symptoms and my legs could go out and do a marathon still, my heart is clearly struggling to match that and I'm putting myself at significant risk by waiting any longer. I want to go in to surgery on my terms, not because I have a sudden catastrophic failure. While I know it's a personal thing, for me, wondering is far worse than knowing (even if the news ain't all good). At least that way you can start to make a plan. Also, I'm sure you've thought of this already, but have you checked on the short term disability policies at your work or in your state? Even though I'll be out of work for a while (as will my wife, to take care of me), with these policies, the financial hit wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared. I hope my experience is in some way helpful for you.

I wish you all the best!! Good luck!!!

I am so sorry you have SO much to deal with , your plate certainly is more than full. I know it takes forever in NJ, but has your husband applied to disability? If not maybe he should, it could help some of the concerns about you being out of work recoverying from surgery and the finances a little.
Justin has different heart problems, but even right before his surgery when on paper his heart is very bad, and he gets tired and naps alot, he still does ok when he is exercising. Actually when we went to Boston Childrens, they were surprised when he walked in and said he was playing baseball, walking almost a mile to school ect., because from his records, they thought he would be having problems just walking up a flight of steps. They even squeezed in a stress test, because they thought he MUST be having more problems than he realized, and were pretty shocked how well he did on the stress test. As others said, often if the problem is something that gradually gets worse, your body compensates and so you might not even realize how bad you do feel, until you have surgery and notice how much better you feel.
When is your next cardiology appt due?

Last edited:
I agree with all the others. My aortic valve also declined slowly at first, then more rapidly. Tiredness and heart burn were definite symptoms in my case. Both disappeared after surgery. My wife again remarked the other day that I have not had a bout of heart burn since the surgery, while I suffered from it most of the time before. Not sure about the reasons but I probably mistook heart burn for the signals given off by a very distressed heart. My advice is to discuss the situation with a surgeon. My surgeon galvanised me into going for the operation when he said that sudden death is also a symptom of AV stenosis!

WOW..if i thought heartburn would also disappear like it did for you.. Book me for TOMORROW !! My husband says I am like princess & the pea with all the pillows (5) I have to breath better and deal with indigestion, heartburn at night. Thankful for nexium !!

Life stress..

Life stress..

I am :( to hear about the many issues you are dealing with. Emotional and finanical issues tend to deflect us from the reality of our physical difficulties and we so easily push them down as a priority.

No easy answers without sounding off with cliches. Sometimes even chocolate isn't enough :eek2:

Be safe and do what you are able to make your wellness, a priority. That truly is the best you can do for yourself and family.

~Blue

WOW..if i thought heartburn would also disappear like it did for you.. Book me for TOMORROW !! My husband says I am like princess & the pea with all the pillows (5) I have to breath better and deal with indigestion, heartburn at night. Thankful for nexium !!

Have you ever had your gallbladder checked? I had AWFUL heartburn and even vottiming for years, even with the prilosec ect. I ended up finding out my gallbladder needed to come out, because they saw it when I had a Liver ultrasound. Anyway the day after my GB was out my heart burn almost went completely away.

Losts of Coffee can definitely cause gastronomical issues (and Heart Arrhythmias).

Your comment about "waiting for symptoms" caught my eye.
To my mind, Symptoms are a sign that the heart is being and/or has been DAMAGED.
Several patients report "No Symptoms" (or so they thought) until AFTER they got Fixed and discovered that things they attributed to getting older or being out of shape all went away after their defective valve(s) was/were replaced.

FYI, 0.8 SQUARE cm (effective Valve Area) is used by many Surgeons as their "Trigger" for recommending Aortic Valve Replacement. When was your last Echo? Do you know your current Aortic Valve Effective Area? It is wise to obtain copies of ALL of your Test Reports so that you will have a Complete Record and get a better understanding of your condition than most Doctors give in a brief Office Visit.

'AL Capshaw'

Nope...never had my gallbladder checked. Never had pain or attacks and the possibility never came up during chats with Dr., although in fairness I was one of those who only went to see dr for this Rx repeat and always casually toss out that everything else was "fine".

I was experiencing "Tainted Love" with the medical profession at that time. As long as there was no heartburn, I pooh-pooh'd everything else. Of course now I will deny I was in denial.:biggrin2:

Have been the losec, pantaloc route before the nexium...maybe 10 years just taking the nexium. Heartburn really became an issue after my second child..same time as I was told..."you know....you probably should not have had another baby ". :eek2: That very same child is almost 20 years, and serving in Canadian Military ( sorry..i digress )

~ Blue

Good Call

Good Call

Dianne,

You're right... your cardiologist is the one who is qualified to assess the issues you're dealing with. Anything you hear from us is simply a guess.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back