This is getting ridiculous...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahsunshine

Skyler got bumped AGAIN.... Don't they know that pre-surgery is the hardest part? The constant delaying just makes it harder!

We've gone from Nov 10, to Nov 14, to Nov 16, to Nov 21, and now we're told Nov 28!

As I said before, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Sorry to hear this. We've gone thru that a couple times, but usually it would be moved a few weeks then bumped. You can only tell yourself so many times how lucky you are that your child is healthy enough to be the one bumped before it doesn't make you feel any better about it. One time after a couple months,and numerous bumps, I actually decided to change hospitals and surgeons. They dont think about how usually the parents have to keep changing their time off work and after a while there jobs get annoyed, travel plans have to be made etc..I wish i could tell you something to make it less frustrating.

I too am sorry to hear this. My surgery date was moved twice, but much further out than this and that was bad enough. I can't imagine trying to get everything in order for such a big day only to have it moved so many times. I'm keeping good thoughts for you that this is date that sticks for the surgery.

Dan

I don't know your situation. But having a partner as a nurse in a major hospital, many of the doctors leave town. I think you're better off waiting till after a major holiday. Starting this right before Thanksgiving could leave you with vacation schedules and residents. Best of luck.

Dave , up here in canada thanksgiving is long since over !!!!!! I wouldn't worry too much about the holiday schedule . Dr. rebeyka has taken all his holidays for the year already , and is very well known for being there 7 days a week . I saw him every day of the week and a half that I was in !!! Now as for the being bumped part ..... Well I think the whole pediatric cardiology department up there needs to do some serious re-evaluation . I have had nothing but problems trying to see my cardiologist after my surgery . Thank god everything has been going good , and there have been no complications !!! Even my family doctor has yet to recieve any kind of report from them , and its been 3 months !!!

Within the hospital there should a "patient advocate" representative/office. If I were you I would contact them and see if they can help.

Actually, both Skyler's mother and father have called the Minister of Health for the province (public health care) about the situation. For us, it's not so much that Skyler is being bumped that the situation is ridiculous and the system obviously needs work. The issues are lack of beds and nurses, not lack of doctor availability. Yes, we have good doctors. Yes we have free health care. We are thankful for that. However, there have been many cut backs recently and we need to let those in charge know that some of these cut backs are not acceptable.

Lyn - it's not the doctor's fault, unfortunately, and changing hospitals won't help the issue since they are all in the same system (Public Health Care). We could go to the US, but that would cost $$$ taht we can't afford. Better to deal with our system (that does work even if it's frustrating at times). I just worry that if this happens to everyone (which I'm starting to think it does), then the system works on an "emergency" basis. That's not a way to maintain a good system at the lowest cost. Prevention is definitely cheaper.

In the meantime, squeaky wheels get the grease, so Whining to the Minister may not solve the problem, but it may get Skyler in sooner.

Maybe.

Within the hospital there should a "patient advocate" representative/office. If I were you I would contact them and see if they can help.

In the meantime, squeaky wheels get the grease, so Whining to the Minister may not solve the problem, but it may get Skyler in sooner.

Maybe.

MLAs dont like the media nosing around a HOT topic such as health care esp where youth is involved here is a link http://waittimes.alberta.ca/ to Alberta Wait times anda QUOTE from that site
Note: People who need emergency surgery or treatment receive it without delay. They are not entered or included in the wait time trends.

So call all the media outlets you can (TV does not like getting scooped by print or radio) do a press release include as cute a pic as you can MAKE A LOT OF NOISE or SQUEEK REALLY LOUD until you get the grease you want

I still think contacting the advocate within the hospital. One would be amazed how much authority/pull they have. And it spreads around the hospital very quickly.

A patient has rights and they will go the distance for you.

Thanks, guys. I would love to raise a racket, but I'll let the bio-parents do that. Unfortunately, this is probably one of those sticky situations where it would be really bad if Biomom was mistaken for me...
I\ll pass the info on to my husband.

I'll have to let it go, and just stay up to date and do my best with Skyler.

I have a wonderful bear from Larry, a T-shirt from On-X, and a ring from On-X that I will engrave with the surgery date... once it actually happens! I'm so glad I didn't engrave it earlier....

Latest posts

Back