Things are great at 10 Days!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mentu

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
My surgery was performed at Oklahoma Heart Institu
I don't really know where to begin so let me bring you up to date. I wrote last from the hospital but I have been home since Day 6 (Sunday, 27 Sep) and my experience seems to be different from everyone else with whom I have talked.

On Day 1, surgery began at 07:30 and lasted about 3 hours. The rest of Day 1 & Day 2 was spent in the ICU because just prior to surgery the last blood test showed my kidney function to be failing. My surgeon determined it was being caused by simple lack of blood flow so I got to spend an extra day in the ICU while they monitored renal function. I finally left the ICU around Midnight of Day 2.

I woke on Day 3 feeling good and ready for my first breakfast. I was leery of the coffee they served so I stuck with the juice but everything tasted great. I spent the day mostly sleeping, eating, and in 4 short walks managed 1200 Feet. Pain medication during the day was welcome and I did use the Bear getting in and out of bed and when I coughed.

Wonder of wonders! I had tea for the first time on Day 04 and it didn't send me into those debilitating palpitations. My friend, Mike, brought me some English Breakfast and it tasted great. My last pain medication was at Noon on Day 4. That was also the last time I needed to use the bear for anything else but photos. I still looked like "Puffy the Blowfish" until by evening I finally began to shed the 18 lbs of fluid I had acquired. I walked four times for a total of 1800 feet. Perhaps the highlight of the day was a visit from my Cardiologist who was a little sad when he listened to my heart and confirmed that all the exciting noises were gone. I reminded him that he did have recordings but he said they just were not quite the same.

On Saturday, Day 5, I watched the sun come up and went for a walk before breakfast all of which I ate but it really wasn't very good. I was able to walk easily and managed half a mile inside the hospital but of course in 5 separate walks because I still was very weak. Getting in and out of bed was no problem at all since there was no chest pain and I began to focus on just how awful the food was in the hospital. By evening, my weight was down 12 lbs and I finally had the long anticipated bowel movement. My Sister-in-law came for a visit and was surprised to find me up and about instead of in bed.

Day 6, Sunday brought another beautiful sunrise and the worst breakfast yet so I ate my apple and orange with a biscuit & jam and a cup of Earl Grey. Home! My surgeon told me I wasting bed space and that I should go home and walk more. I thought I would be out by Noon but that didn't happen. There was a minor flail when they could not find my key. It seems that when your sternum is closed with Talons you cannot leave the hospital without the key that can open them in case of an emergency. My key was finally located and I left the hospital around 5:00 pm. I was quite tuckered out by the time I got home and after a wonderful supper of soup, salad and lovely whole grain bread I crashed and slept better than in many months.

It is now the morning of Day 10. My last drain hole dried up yesterday and only one small spot of the incision is still weeping a little. I continue to get tired easily and like everyone else have no stamina yet but I have had no pain at all since coming home. I keep puffing on my spirometer and have managed to get back to 2500. I think I will finally be back to 3000 by this weekend and can stop using it.

Walking at home has been very fine since we have had great weather and everything is green. I have been holding the distance to half a mile. At first, I needed a nap after walking but I now only need to sit down for a while. I find that I can do little things such as load the dish washer and fold clothes. I had worried about being able to feed my animals but that has presented no problem. I also worried about being able to sleep in my water bed but I have had no difficulty at all. My brother gave me a recliner and it is really nice for reading but I have not actually slept in it.

So, at 10 days I have to say that the Talons Dr Spann used to close my chest have been an enormous success. I have not even for a moment had any sense of movement in my sternum and have been using nothing but over the counter Ibuprofen for the aches in my chest as the skin and muscle heals. Last night my friends and I went out for catfish and it really began to feel as though my life is returning to normal which seems the whole point of all of this.

What a Wonderful Story of your Post-Op Recovery !

I'm sure that a lot of Newbies will be reassured by your wonderful experience.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks for sharing your experience, I love to read & compare with others. I've never heard of sternal talons, I got 4 thin wires to keep things in place. Time to Google some info:)

Wow, thank you for posting your recovery experience. I'm sure it will be truly useful to the members (either lurking or not) who are facing their heart mending. I was truly intrigued by the talons you spoke of in your original post before surgery. They make a lot of sense to me. In any case best wishes for your continued recovery. :)

Wonderful to hear how well you are doing.

I'm curious about this talon key....... :eek: what would happen should it be lost/not with you and you have a medical emergency? How many of these keys did they give you? Sorry for what is probably a stupid question but this is the first I have heard of anything like this.

Congratulations on such a smooth, easy time of it so far. Hope it continues bump free.

First rule of hospital coffee, get the nurses to give you some of their stash! Yeah I know, it plays with your heart some, but it's so much better then that whatever it is they serve on the trays.

I'm so pleased to read of your progress. Keep it up! Don't get thrown if you hit a little bump in the road along the way though. You may have hit yours early on and have clear sailing from here. Wouldn't that be nice!

Great to hear that your recovery is going so well. I too have a question about the talons. after your 1st post about them i went to the website too. now that you have them, can you feel them inside you when you touch your chest? does your chest feel overly tight where they were placed? a funny question too though, but just for curiosity... since they are larger and more metal could you be setting off security alarms?? i think that would be cool, I would take pride in that if it were the case.

I hope you continue to have an uneventful recovery, keep us updated.

Wonderful to hear how well you are doing.

I'm curious about this talon key....... :eek: what would happen should it be lost/not with you and you have a medical emergency? How many of these keys did they give you? Sorry for what is probably a stupid question but this is the first I have heard of anything like this.

Congratulations on such a smooth, easy time of it so far. Hope it continues bump free.

I went to the website and if you look in the medical section, it appears they give you an emergency card that explains how they can be removed in an emergency. Here's the link: http://www.rapidsternalclosure.com/medical/Sternal_Fixation_-_Sternal_Talon_Emer_Bi-Fold.pdf

HI Mentu,

Thank you for your recent update. It sounds like you are having an 'unevenful' recovery and let's keep it that way. ;)
It was a very encouraging post to read as I prepare for the big day. Thank you for that!!
My very best wishes,

Mentu:

Sounds like you're doing great!

You're doing so well with the walking and spirometer that you deserve a visit to Marie Callender's on 51st for some pie -- and perhaps they have Earl Grey tea.....

Great update. At first when I read about needing the key to open your chest, I imagined how nervous I would be if Justin had to keep track of a key for his chest, so was relieved to read Duffeys post about the other way to open them.
I hope your recovery continnues to go as well as it is,and you don't run into any speed bumps, don't over do it because you are feeling so well.

Keep up the good work!

Keep up the good work!

Mentu, great update - thank you for posting it! Like Lyn, I also want to warn you about overdoing it since you are doing so well. Your body still needs time to heal. I immediately thought that loading the dishes and folding the clothes might be a little too much at 10 days post-op (I remember Lori's post from a couple of weeks ago) but maybe with the talons the sternum can't shift as much and the precautions are different? In any case, it sounds like you are on a bump-free road to recovery just navigate safely!

Nadine:)

Thanks Mentu, that kind of news is a little comforting for me, since im looking at surgery in 12 days. I hope im as lucky as you and others here. The wonderful people on this site keep amazing me with stories like this, and the vast amount of knowledge you all seem to have. Thank God, i found this site.

Latest posts

Back