Surgery set for Nov. 2

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainframe

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I scheduled surgery for Nov 2 to remove all my wires from my 2nd AVR last November. For the last 6 - 8 months I've been dealing with the skin over the incision opening and oozing a bit in a couple of places. A general surgeon removed 1 wire in July, but it left a good size hole and never really healed very well.

My cardio referred me to a local thoracic surgeon who will remove all the wires and debride any infected tissue and a plastic surgeon who will most likely do some kind of muscle flap/skin graft. Hospital stay should be about 3 - 5 days. Of course last November, I was told 10 - 14 days in the hospital and I was there for 2 months. It's not something I'm looking forward to but at the same time I need to get this fixed.

Wish me luck!

I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible and you finally really can recover and get on enjoying your life. Did they discuss which muscles they are going to use as their 1st choice?
If you have any questions you want me to ask Justin, just let me know.

Did they discuss which muscles they are going to use as their 1st choice?

Of course the plastic surgeon couldn't commit until she's "in there" but I get the impression she will use the pectoralis major. She will first try and move them over a bit both towards the center, then if that doesn't work, cut the right one and move it over somehow. I don't think the bone is infected and much tissue, so hopefully it will better than I fear.

Of course the plastic surgeon couldn't commit until she's "in there" but I get the impression she will use the pectoralis major. She will first try and move them over a bit both towards the center, then if that doesn't work, cut the right one and move it over somehow. I don't think the bone is infected and much tissue, so hopefully it will better than I fear.

Are you left handed? They used Justin's right pec because they asked him which hand he uses the most so they could use the other side.

Oh man.....don't tell me any icky stuff....my big dream is to get my protruding wires out, but I just know I would end up with some weird post op crap. Chris, you deserve to get this resolved. Best wishes.

Last edited:
wishing you the best.you have been through alot and hopefully this will get you all finished up!

Wishing you the very best with your procedure, Chris! I pray that it turns out to be better than you are anticipating & you will not have to be in the hospital that long.

Godspeed!

Yikes, nothing seems to go easy for you in the surgery department!
When I had my wires removed by Dr Miller 7 mos after my 2nd surgery it all went just fine. Only little slits where the wires were, and my sternum was so stiff for a few days, but all healed like a normal cut. Good luck with your next attempt at fixing this. Oh, and it was done outpatient.

Chris,

Good luck with your surgery. I hope all goes well.
Who knows... maybe all that static on your TV and radio will go away too once you get this taken care of!

Rob

Chris,

Good luck to you. Here's hoping and (praying) that all goes well for you. You will certainly be in my thoughts.

Take care and keep us updated when you can!

Good luck to you, I had all of my wires taken out 11 months ago and it is the best thing that has happened since my OHS 2 years ago. I do not understand why docs just go in and pick one or two to take out. I was having problems and did not want to have to go back if there were wires left in. I demanded all of them be taken out and they did. I did not have to have any flap procedure, so I cannot give any input on that. I had my wires pulled by the same CT surgeon that did my OHS. My scar is a little uglier now but I can move again, the pain they caused me was overwhelming. I now have only mild aches with weather changes and after heavy activity. I hope the procedure goes well for you and you get the relief you deserve.

Latest posts

Back