Surgery Date Set

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill hall

My surgery date will be next Tuesday, October 11. I know I will be replacing the aorta, where the aneurysm is located on the suture line of the prior valve replacement. I am almost sure we will replace the aortic valve, a homograft done at CCF. The valve is still working good, that's why the question. If there is a way to know how long it would last, then I woulld have an answer. We will have a pre-surgery meeting on Wed, Oct 5. Since my heart is afib, we will discuss a maze procedure. I will be in Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. The surgeon will be Dr. Conte.
Bill

Bill, how did your pre-surgery visit go today? I read about Dr. Conte on the Hopkins website and was so impressed by his training and specialties. Pat

Thank you all for the replies. I definitely appreciate it. The surgeon moved my date to Wednesday because I will be a complex surgery. I found out my EF dropped from 60 in 2007 to 15-20. That is not good news. We are still planning to replace the aorta where the aneurysm is, replce the aortic valve with a mechanical valve and do some ablation for the afib. He said it could be a 12 hour surgery.
Bill

Okay Bill, I've moved your date to Wednesday Oct.12 so it is official now, pack your bag.

As much as these surgeries sound so complex and foreign to us, the surgeons deal with these things as an almost
normal daily way of life. My surgeon truly loved what he was doing and I had to trust that.
Best wishes continuing. :)

Bill, best wishes for a successful surgery, a bump free recovery, and a long, healthy life. I hope there's a way you can keep us informed as to your progress. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for the duration.
Mary

Surgery Date Set, Investigating Valve Types

Surgery Date Set, Investigating Valve Types

I have just met with my surgeon at Emory in Atlanta. I am scheduled for an AVR on November 1st. I have had four dopplers that have indicated different levels of severity. The latest reflects severe aortic and mitral valve regurgition. The surgeion (Robert Guyton), says he will not know the severity until he is inside to determine if a repair could be made to the mitral valve. I had a homograft aortic valve in 3/98. It appears to be failing badly. The aortic root may also be a problem due to the calcification of the valve. I am a 64 year old male and was planning on going with a mechanical to avoid a third surgery. The surgeon suggested I might consider a biological (cow, porcine), because replacement can be made with a catheter, which is becoming very common. Surgical risk is much higher than I had hoped due to the mitral valve and aortic root, which he won't know until he is inside the chest. I am interested in opinions of valve types that would be suitable for my age and activity level (golfer, skiier, walking). Thank you so much for responding.

I have just met with my surgeon at Emory in Atlanta. I am scheduled for an AVR on November 1st. I have had four dopplers that have indicated different levels of severity. The latest reflects severe aortic and mitral valve regurgition. The surgeion (Robert Guyton), says he will not know the severity until he is inside to determine if a repair could be made to the mitral valve. I had a homograft aortic valve in 3/98. It appears to be failing badly. The aortic root may also be a problem due to the calcification of the valve. I am a 64 year old male and was planning on going with a mechanical to avoid a third surgery. The surgeon suggested I might consider a biological (cow, porcine), because replacement can be made with a catheter, which is becoming very common. Surgical risk is much higher than I had hoped due to the mitral valve and aortic root, which he won't know until he is inside the chest. I am interested in opinions of valve types that would be suitable for my age and activity level (golfer, skiier, walking). Thank you so much for responding.

Hi WVU, you might want to start your own thread with this post, so more people see it and hopefully share there thoughts.
As for what valve type, its really pretty personal what is the most important to one person isn't as important to someone else, who might want to avoid something else. But FWIW, I agree with your surgeon about the chances of having a tissue valve that you get now, being able to have it replaced by cath when the time comes, being pretty high. Hopefully he can repair your Mitral valve, but you might consider having a plan A for the Aortic valve for if he can repair the Mitral and a Plan B for Aortic if he has to replace the Mitral valve.

PS I have heard alot of really good things about Emory and your surgeon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. First time I have used this web site. How do I start a thead of my own. Many thanks.

To start a new thread in a section, say 'heart talk' just click on that section and look in the lefthand corner near the top of the opening page, there is a blue box under the big orange circle that says "post new thread'' click that and fill in the boxes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back