Surgery date set -so far

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tell-Tale Heart

Things have been progressing quickly. We've set my surgery date as Friday, May 4. I've been busy working on the pre surgery items in my plan (pre-surgery class at the hospital, teeth cleaning, pre-admission testing and lots of other stuff).
Here's the kink - I spoke to my surgeon Tues. night and confirmed my choice of valve (on-x). He asked if I bruise easily. And yes, I do - at least more than most people. So my pre-admission testing today included an additional 12 vials of blood for 19 extra tests. I'm also scheduled to meet with the hematologist on Monday morning.
So now I'm worried again. Has anyone had to postpone surgery or çhange valve choice because of they bruise or their blood work? Is there something bad going on I don't know about? It's gonna be a long weekend........

Things have been progressing quickly. We've set my surgery date as Friday, May 4. I've been busy working on the pre surgery items in my plan (pre-surgery class at the hospital, teeth cleaning, pre-admission testing and lots of other stuff).
Here's the kink - I spoke to my surgeon Tues. night and confirmed my choice of valve (on-x). He asked if I bruise easily. And yes, I do - at least more than most people. So my pre-admission testing today included an additional 12 vials of blood for 19 extra tests. I'm also scheduled to meet with the hematologist on Monday morning.
So now I'm worried again. Has anyone had to postpone surgery or çhange valve choice because of they bruise or their blood work? Is there something bad going on I don't know about? It's gonna be a long weekend........

On the family calendar clear the room we will all stand by you Pat .........metaphorically that is

People on coumadin tend to bruise easily and I am only speculating but is it possible your surgeon is concerned about you having a mechanical valve requiring ACT seeing you are prone to bruising anyway? I can't say I've ever heard a surgeon say 'no mechanical valve' because one bruises easily but perhaps that is his consideration?

Sorry you have this added stress but good your surgeon is very cautious.
Good luck.

Hi, Pat, I agree with JKM in that it sounds as though your surgeon is just being thorough. He likely wants to rule out unanticipated complications. You might consider calling your contact in his office to ask what was found and whether there may be any impact on your plans. Take a deep breath and then take some comfort that you have a surgeon who is being careful. Best Wishes for you on the 4th.

Larry

May 4 surgery date a go

May 4 surgery date a go

So after all the blood tests, the hematologist said I'm fine and being on blood thinners shouldn't be a problem after AVR. He doesn't think the fact I bruise easily needs to be a big consideration in my valve choice. So I guess I need to finish packing for admission to the hospital on Friday. Wow - I can't believe it's only three days away. Taking a deep breath......

Pat, my thoughts and prayers will be with you on the 4th. I look forward to hearing from you in recovery. I'm glad that you got the green light, and hope at everything goes smoothly. Take care!

Tom

New Surgery Date
So, after I posted Wed, I got a call from the surgeon's office. I got "bumped" and my new date is Thursday, May 10. Seems there is an emergency case that needs my time.
I spent the last 2 days mad & depressed until I figured out today that I'm actually lucky. It's good that the doctors know I can wait a few more days - then I said a prayer for the patient who had surgery today.
So I have another week to spend with my family and friends before surgery and recovery. Waiting is hard, but everything happens for a reason.........

Okey Dokey....I will be thinking about you and sending you positive vibes on your new surgery date. Yes things so happen for a reason. Of course sometimes we can't see or understand, but guided by faith we get through it all. Enjoy your extra time with the family and friends. Thursday will be here before you know it. :)

Hi Pat,

It seems that being bumped is not all that uncommon, and usually the better the hospital is and the better the surgeon is the more likely it will happen. I also just read your history and it looks like you got 20 years out of your last valve. That is great!

Good luck on Thursday!

Surgery date moved - AGAIN!

Surgery date moved - AGAIN!

I got the sniffles earlier this week, so I called the surgeon's office yesterday to make sure it wouldn't affect surgery today. Dr. said as long as there is no fever and it's a head cold, we can proceed. When I woke today, the congestion was worse but still mostly in my head. At the hospital just before I was headed to OR, someone heard me cough and requested my temperature be taken again. It was 98.7 in one ear, but 102 in the other. So, just to be safe, we postponed. The increase of risk during surgery is small, but they felt that being congested and coughing could prolong the recovery period.
I'm relieved because I really feel crummy. I just wish we would have discussed it before they put the IV in my artery - that took a long time to stop bleeding! But now, I can have this surgery when I feel 100% strong.
So we left it that I'll call them Monday to let them know how I'm feeling and get a new date.
[Big sigh]

I got the sniffles earlier this week, so I called the surgeon's office yesterday to make sure it wouldn't affect surgery today. Dr. said as long as there is no fever and it's a head cold, we can proceed. When I woke today, the congestion was worse but still mostly in my head. At the hospital just before I was headed to OR, someone heard me cough and requested my temperature be taken again. It was 98.7 in one ear, but 102 in the other. So, just to be safe, we postponed. The increase of risk during surgery is small, but they felt that being congested and coughing could prolong the recovery period.
I'm relieved because I really feel crummy. I just wish we would have discussed it before they put the IV in my artery - that took a long time to stop bleeding! But now, I can have this surgery when I feel 100% strong.
So we left it that I'll call them Monday to let them know how I'm feeling and get a new date.
[Big sigh]

You are MUCH better off postponing when you are not feeling in good health. Better luck next week, have a restful weekend.

Latest posts

Back