Surgeon appt on 23 Dec after yest angiogram

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allisoninoz

Well, had my angiogram yesterday at Epworth Hospital in Melbourne and am now seeing surgeon Peter Skillington on December 23 for an initial discussion about timing of surgery.
The angio revealed a very narrow aortic valve (following the latest echo that had it at 0.5cm). It also revealed some 'anomalous anatomy' that the doctors did not know about with me - apparently i am missing an artery but they don't seem overly concerned about that, saying that 1-2 per cent of those with congenital heart probs have some unusual 'plumbing'.
I'm something of an awkward case it seems as I'm pretty symptom-free. I do tire fairly easily and occasionally get puffed but nothing terrible (or am I just ignoring what are symptoms?). An exercise stress test earlier this year was fine.
My cardio says it's now time to see the surgeon for a discussion re logistics of timing.
In one way I wish I was seeing the surgeon tomorrow and he would operate there and then. The other part of me wants to run away and forget about it forever.
I'm terrified I will have a stroke or some other complication in surgery (or post-surgery) as I have mild epilepsy as well and my beautiful little girl won't have a mum anymore.
I'm just so sick of having this problem that has been hanging over me since I was a teenager. I know I should be grateful that they can do so much, but I'm finding it bloody hard! I just keep thinking it could be my last Christmas and don't know how to deal with those emotions :(
I do read positive outcomes but it's so hard for me to think like that at the moment ...
Thanks for reading and listening...

While surgery is difficult to contemplate, doing nothing is not an option.
Your valve area is very small already, so it would be making you tired, so I suspect you are ignoring the symptoms as they have developed over a long period of time and this is normal for you.
You will most likely be very surprised at how much greater your energy and exercise tolerance is post surgery.
If you are like most people you will reach a point shortly before surgery where you are very relaxed, and have just accepted that surgery is inevitable.
Look at it another way 98% of patients that are <60 years and in otherwise good health have a good outcome from surgery.

Allisoninoz---from the numbers posted 0.5cm for your aortic valve---the news is not good.Most surgeons want to operate when the valve narrows to 0.8cm before any other damage is done.This is not a"should I get it done" but rather a "how soon can I get it done.I read an article in the Windsor star Newspaper written by a doctor who says that you have roughly 3 years from the onset of symptoms like tiredness,angina(chest pain),lightheadednes and fainting which lead to death if nothing is done. I had an aortic valve replaced on Nov22/2010 along with a double bypass,which is 3 weeks ago and I am feeling fine now.

Hey
My heart plumbing is/was crap to put it bluntly lol when i was a baby, my aortic valve wasn't there, i only had on big truncal artery coming from my heart which was supplying high pressured blood to my lungs, and the rest of my body which was dangerous and i had a great hole between my ventricles, also i didn't have another pipe/vessel in my heart thats needed for good circulation, before my op's apparently i was really ill but i had my op and im doin ok =)
But remember after your op, you'll be a lot better, and have bags more energy so you can play with your daughter, where as without the op you may deterorate, so like oldmanemu said, doing nothing isn't an option,
Good luck for your appt xxx

Yep, my buddy OME is right on the money.
Do your very best to ignore your thoughts for now and see what the surgeon has to say on the 23rd.

Definitely sooner than later. You dont want to risk doing nothing. I had a narrow aortic valve (.6cm) that ended up being SINGLE CUSPID with an aortic anyurism that was at a 6. Surgeon said I wouldnt have seen this christmas most likely DEFINEITLY NOT next summer if I didnt get my surgery. Dont play with it.

Latest posts

Back