Steve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, I'm so glad to hear you are on the path to recovery. Sorry you had a bumpy start, but hopefully it will be smooth sailing going forward. So very glad to finally have heard from you!

Kim

Good luck with your recovery Steve. My wife who is a respiratory therapist works in the CICU at times and says that not very many people get through this type of surgery without some type of hiccup. When I had my AVR I had problems with very low BP that would not come up, cardiac tamponade and kidneys shutting down. Hang in there, it will get better.

Whoa. That doesn't sound like any fun at all, Steve! And there you are -- steadfast and determined. Excellent attitude!

Leave it to Tobagotwo (Bob) to leave you some really good advice. And you are smart, well-versed and confident enough to see yourself through this challenge toward an excellent outcome.

Hang in there. Be well.

Marguerite

Steve,
Good to see you are back. I am away in China at the moment and was getting worried about the lack of news - I was checking all hours of the day. Things seem to change quickly early on in recovery. They kept my pace wires in for a while because they were worried about the low heart rates but it soon settled down. I also had erratic heart rhythms which settled over time.
Take it easy
Martin

What a relief to see the turn this thread has taken! So glad you feel like posting after all that, Steve. I hope your path to recovery is smooth from here on.

I always feel better when someone gets the word from Tobagotwo. In your place I'd print out his post in large font and keep it with me for a while.

(I hope your family is breathing normally now too.)

Best wishes,
Debby

Steve, I bet the full cardiac arrest got their attention! :eek2:That's got to be scary and I imagine it made you, your entire family actually, feel pretty vulnerable.
I'm glad you're now on the road to recovery, and I will keep fingers and toes crossed that there are no more detours.

Steve,

I'm sorry to read that you have encountered a few bumps in the road to recovery. I think it takes a while for your heart to adjust to the new valve. I hope your recovery is without any speed bumps from this time forward.

Glad to see you Steve! Sorry to hear that you've had such a bumpy ride but hopefully all that will be behind you real soon!

Take care and look forward to more updates from you!

wow, steve! so glad to see you back. you had us all so worried! so sorry it's been so difficult and unexpected bumps in the road arose. hopefully they will get it all settled soon and your healing will go more smoothly.
thinking of you and still praying for you.
be well,
sylvia

We don't do things small here in Chicago Steve :) So happy you are on the otherside and making progress. Please let us know when you are ready for an outing. We will clear the schedule...correct Cort?! ;)

Keep up the good work. I know you are motivated..you will do it in record time!

Hey, gang, I'll save the humorous updates for later - there will be many but I just can't type well enough yet to do it.

Not sure what i've posted, so I apologize for any repetitions. Monday was surgery for the valve and single bypass - pretty much on schedule. Monday PM I did as well as anyone expected. Tuesday I took a walk and did OK - better than they expected. After that I felt totally worn out, so I went to bed early. Tuesday evening and night, I had several episodes of suspended heartbeat -- it just stopped. Pretty scary, I'd say. They spent the day evaluating and on Thurs. AM I received an unexpected pacemaker. This stopped the heart pauses, but I went into and out of AFIB all day. Finally on Friday they started me on amiodorone. My rhythm has been unstable since, into and out of AFIB, etc., so possible cardio-version tomorrow, if needed.

So, I'll try to upate in a more coherent manner as soon as I can.

Thanks so very much for all the support here. I'll be back with more later.

Go Class of 2011!

Hi Steve, my own fog is just clearing enough for me to check in and see how you're doing. Im sorry for the bumps. Best wishes they sort themselves out soon
Derek

I stopped in after a very long absence on the very day of Steve's surgery and have been checking in daily since. So sorry to hear about the bumpy start and sending wishes for smooth sailing from here on in. On behalf of myself and the many others you have so warmly welcomed here, all the best for a rapid recovery and trip home.

Still hangiing in there, everyone! The good news so far is that I didn't need cardioversion this AM. My rhythm has been ramaining mosly normal-sinus with only a few PVC's and an occasional trip into Tachycardia. That's the good news. The price - I'm now taking amiodorone and coumadin. The amio I didn't want, but no substitures we know of so far. So far, it sounds like a short term thing, maybe a few months. Counadin I cold deal with over the long haul, but if we can keep the amio on a short term, that would be a good thing.

Not much more I can stay focused to type, so will update later.

Go Class of 2011!

Hi Steve,

Great news!

It would be nice to predict outcome. I did not have any sort of arrythmia until 3 months out. Acutally, would prefer to get the fine tuning out of the way before leaving the hospital! Which I assume is where you still are?

Hang in there. I am doing a really great job of checking in daily!;)

Back